Marvel Pursuing Ryan Coogler (Creed) To Direct 'Black Panther'

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

BREAKING

According to sources, Ryan Coogler, the HOT director of Sundance indie breakout hit Fruitvale Station (a must watch imho) is being pursued by Marvel to direct the upcoming Black Panther!

I never bought that they were waiting for a finished script before going out to directors. Coogler is deep into post production on Creed which Warners drops in theaters on Thanksgiving.

Selma director Ava DuVernay was originally offered Black Panther but ultimately passed. Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray was a contender until he recently decided to direct Fast 8 instead.

The Wrap recently reported that Joe Robert Cole (FX's American Crime Story) is nearing a deal to write Black Panther for Marvel.

Coogler makes perfect sense. A hot young filmmaker who sources tell me is willing to do big commercial fare so a superhero movie is probably the next logical step. On a side note, Coogler sat right in front of me in the VIP section of the DC Hall H panel at Comic Con back in July so I suspected he was maybe considering Cyborg for the studio. I know Marvel and I know they track heat. I'm hearing nothing but great things about Creed.

Two years ago I broke Chadwick Boseman as the top contender for Black Panther when I was at Latino Review.

This story is developing and I'm not sure how far talks have progressed, or if an offer has even been made but I trust the sourcing and it looks like Coogler is now Marvel's top contender. I'll report back with more as I find out.

Marvel last week shifted the release date of Black Panther to drop during Black History Month on February 16th, 2018.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Don't do it black, you betta den dat, dat mouse moni ain't werf it :mjcry:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Coogler teaming up with Marvel :banderas: take that marvel money Ryan :noah: and bless us with the emotional tale of Prince tchalla :mjcry:
:pacspit::mjcry:

Like one homie just said hopefully they don't handcuff him too much. Give him the James gunn treatment and let him just go

Like for real...

I thought he was a good director after his first movie, but after seeing Creed he has the chance to be one of the greats. Don't hinder him :ufdup:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I actually think it would be great for him

Black Panther deserves a great, black director. Coogler is perfect.

In one hand I don't want him to ruin his rep, get locked into something, or make a movie he's not interested in but on the other in excited for the BP movie if he does take it and makes it as good of a movie as I think he can.

Creed proved he could handle action and do it intelligently while also handling drama and humor.

But Creed and Fruitvale were things he was emotionally invested in and very hands on about.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I actually think it would be great for him

Black Panther deserves a great, black director. Coogler is perfect.

In one hand I don't want him to ruin his rep, get locked into something, or make a movie he's not interested in but on the other in excited for the BP movie if he does take it and makes it as good of a movie as I think he can.

Creed proved he could handle action and do it intelligently while also handling drama and humor.

But Creed and Fruitvale were things he was emotionally invested in and very hands on about.

And that's the main thing I worry about. Like I'm excited about it but knowing the way they work (and it works for them for the most part) I don't want to see a young cat get hamstrung this early in his career coming off of a great flick. You gotta dedicate years of your life to this thing and I'd hate to see him wrapped up in something that he can't fully realize and then not tell the stories he knows he'll have complete freedom over

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Coogler will bring out the best in Boseman.
Is it possible he can get Michael B. Jordan in this movie? Or is he still tied to Fantastic Four?

Would like to see him continue working with Coogler :ehh:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
And that's the main thing I worry about. Like I'm excited about it but knowing the way they work (and it works for them for the most part) I don't want to see a young cat get hamstrung this early in his career coming off of a great flick. You gotta dedicate years of your life to this thing and I'd hate to see him wrapped up in something that he can't fully realize and then not tell the stories he knows he'll have complete freedom over
Very true

But if he is very interested in the BP story and will have enough freedom then it should be great. Having a movie like this be a success will not only put another notch in his belt but also show how well rounded he is as a director.

I don't think he'll take it though. I think small budget, mostly dramatic films is where he'll stay at for awhile.

BP deserves a director like him though, it just might be too soon for him.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
This could be :ohlawd:

He did a great job on Creed.

Second what was said about them giving him the James Gunn treatment. I feel like now that there are no notes from Perlmutter, they might be able to cook relatively unhindered (barring notes from Disney)

Coogler has a good ear for a soundtrack - we need them triumphant Fela-esque horns and Tony Allen drums, Ryan. Do it :blessed: