Mat Ishbia purchases the Phoenix Suns & Mercury for $4 billion!

SURPRISED BY THE PRICE?

• Total voters

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Thats why when i see the stories about one of us buying a team and its lingering in the news for weeks i know that shyt wont come to fruition. Its always someone in the cut who you only hear about when the press release drops that they purchased the team.
"bu bu but if the Black Billionaires pooled together, they could do it" - Coli Economists

:mjcry:

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Will we ever see another black owner???

:wow: :ohhh:

Thats why when i see the stories about one of us buying a team and its lingering in the news for weeks i know that shyt wont come to fruition. Its always someone in the cut who you only hear about when the press release drops that they purchased the team.
How many black men got 4 billion to buy a team? No slight

Honestly, no. Lebron gon learn, IMO, "they" don't luh him like that

He's gonna be one of a group of something

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
he could simply be the majority owner and put up just enough to have controlling interest of the team and has other partners.
yea the article said his brother was a significant investor. Just bringing it up cause I'd assume having a highly leveraged owner means they might try to avoid luxury tax and stuff like that

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn what happened to Byron Allen I thought he was trying to buy a team?

Complicated situation. His partial ownership of all the RSNs that Disney had to sell off when they bought most of Fox means he'd likely need to divest in order to buy a solid portion of MLB, NBA, or NHL teams, so the only direct avenue he's got is the NFL. He got outbid by a group left by a Walton for the Broncos, so really his only other option that's floating around right now is the Commanders, but supposedly Jeff Bezos both wants the team, and is the preferred option.

yea the article said his brother was a significant investor. Just bringing it up cause I'd assume having a highly leveraged owner means they might try to avoid luxury tax and stuff like that

Exactly right. You don't see very many franchises get sold to single owners these days, since it's pretty difficult to have $2-5 billion just ready to spend on hand. Honestly, that idea got killed by Frank McCourt's tenure as owner of the Dodgers. Leagues would rather see a team get sold to a large ownership group with a person they can say is the leader than deal with a single person or entity that has to take on a shytload of debt to buy.