Melanin studies vault

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

A pigment ubiquitous in nature, melanin is extremely difficult to isolate and refine in large quantities. It has long been known to possess physical and electrical properties but few commercial applications have been developed due to the historically high cost. Produced with conventional technology, melanin is often priced at $350 per gram.

The most tantalizing applications currently in development are organic battery technologies. The patent awarded to River Road Research protects the method in which the company will be able to produce melanin for usage in these and other applications.

"What we are doing is manufacturing melanin and then concentrating this rare and expensive commodity for the benefit of the marketplace," said River Road Research managing director Scott Ernst. "We are very excited about the significant opportunities for the company in the global marketplace, particularly in supporting the development of more environmentally friendly battery technologies."

:patrice:

Last edited:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/...-could-help-strengthen-foams-and-fabrics.html

The researchers found that polyurethane containing just 2 percent melanin, extracted from the ink sacs of cuttlefish, had improved tensile strength and toughness. These properties were enhanced about 10 fold, increasing from 5.6 megapascals and 33 megajoules per cubic meter in plain polyurethane to 51.5 MPa and 413 MJ/m3, respectively. Polyurethane by itself could stretch 770 percent before breaking, whereas the melanin-infused version stretched 1,880 percent before rupturing.

If melanin is doing all this stuff outside of the human, just imagine what it's capable of in us :ohhh:

Last edited:

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Melanin+pic+male.jpg

:jbhmm:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
:patrice: I don't really buy all that stuff. If melanin could give me superpowers you can bet I would have been using them by now :usure:

I think they do all this research by curiosity and (mostly) for cosmetic purposes. To sell to women that want to bleach/tan, suppress/create melanin production in their babies etc.

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
:patrice: I don't really buy all that stuff. If melanin could give me superpowers you can bet I would have been using them by now :usure:

I think they do all this research by curiosity and (mostly) for cosmetic purposes. To sell to women that want to bleach/tan, suppress/create melanin production in their babies etc.

how you know you know how to use em? how you know yo shyt even "activated" . Facts are facts

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
how you know you know how to use em? how you know yo shyt even "activated" . Facts are facts
Well you don't know neither if there is something to be activated to begin with.

All the research posted just showed it made plastic stronger and had electric properties like plenty of other shyt in our bodies.

I don't want to derail the topic so I'll bounce, tho I agree we should research the shyt out of it. We should always research the shyt out of us.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
nice find

Pharmacological Properties of Melanin and Its Function in Health - PubMed
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/

Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology
Volume 120, Issue 6
MiniReview

Free Access
Pharmacological Properties of Melanin and its Function in Health
“The biological pigment melanin is present in most of the biological systems. It manifests a host of biological and pharmacological properties. Its role as a molecule with special properties and functions affecting general health, including photoprotective and immunological action, are well recognized. Its antioxidant, anti‐inflammatory, immunomodulatory, radioprotective, hepatic, gastrointestinal and hypoglycaemic benefits have only recently been recognized and studied. It is also associated with certain disorders of the nervous system. In this MiniReview, we consider the steadily increasing literature on the bioavailability and functional activity of melanin. Published literature shows that melanin may play a number of possible pharmacological effects such as protective, stimulatory, diagnostic and curative roles in human health. In this MiniReview, possible health roles and pharmacological effects are considered.“

No threads on the authors behind this study?? Government scientific research from the NIH