Michael B. Jordan Reveals Aaron McGruder Was Fired From "The Boondocks"

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
AllHipHop News) By 2014, we should all know that phrases such as “scheduling conflicts” are nothing more than public relations rhetoric. Michael B. Jordan appeared on the first episode of The Boondocks’ new season and revealed how he initially joined on before Aaron McGruder was let go.

On March 20th, Aaron McGruder’s absence from the fourth season of The Boondocks was explained by Adult Swim as as resulting from an inability to agree upon working schedules. In a statement released a week later, McGruder explained how painful leaving The Boondocks was, but did not specify his reasons for leaving.

During a recent interview with Huffington Post, Michael B. Jordan appeared as the Chris Brown-inspired character Pretty Boy Flizzy and shed some light on the situation:

"Aaron is actually a buddy of mine. And honestly I forgot. He had to tell me, not that long ago, that he got fired from it. And I was like, “What, really?!?” It kind of caught me off guard, I totally forgot."

Jordan does attest that he does not know specifics of McGruder’s removal:

"But not knowing the specifics behind it or whatever … So you can’t really make that call. I’m not sitting in those rooms. But to see my boy pushed out might be a little messed up."

Aaron McGruder is currently producing a new series for Adult Swim called Black Jesus.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
He doing work for CN still, so whatever it was...I dunno. Kinda hard to go to battle for a nucca that's still cashin checks from the dudes that ousted him - and they got him on a new show.

Yeah, that's why I don't feel like he was booted from the show, just to turn around and have another project picked up damn near the same week.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He doing work for CN still, so whatever it was...I dunno. Kinda hard to go to battle for a nucca that's still cashin checks from the dudes that ousted him - and they got him on a new show.

don't know if he was fired, but what it seems like is they wanted to continue with boondocks and he didn't...so to be able to keep it, they just gave him a new show to keep him happy...

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I refuse to put all the blame on CN. In 10 years this nikka managed to only produce 4 seasons of a popular cartoon. As far as I'm concerned there is blame that needs to be pointed at McGruder as well. I don't know the details of what happened, yet I still know that to be the case. It's just unacceptable. Get your sh!t together bruh.

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It couldn't have been that bad, if they immediately gave him another show after leaving Boondocks.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
don't know if he was fired, but what it seems like is they wanted to continue with boondocks and he didn't...so to be able to keep it, they just gave him a new show to keep him happy...
They bought the rights in 03, they didn't have to give him anything to keep it, they already owned it.

Seems like they wanted him to make another season, he wouldn't commit so they put someone else in charge to get another season.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
I refuse to put all the blame on CN. In 10 years this nikka managed to only produce 4 seasons of a popular cartoon. As far as I'm concerned there is blame that needs to be pointed at McGruder as well. I don't know the details of what happened, yet I still know that to be the case. It's just unacceptable. Get your sh!t together bruh.
I kinda gotta agree. Aaron be acting like Dr. Dre when it comes to the show, it's good he's perfectionist but damn nikka, the network at just gonna stand idle while you sit back indecisive. At the same time Aaron had a lot of pressure because of the popularity and influence the boondocks had. I think the split was just wise on both parts. Black Jesus won't be as 'precious' to him so he can be a little bit more sloppy with it, while at the same time CN can supply the demand that is the boondocks.

Boondocks still has the same writers so it should still have the same feel, it just won't have Aarons supervision and there's yet to tell how much that will effect the show.

Its like Dre beats, keep the musicians but how much of the music will be altered without Dre on the board. Only time will tell.....

They have 4 seasons worth of working with Aaron to know what he would want for the show...so they might not be completely off the mark.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They bought the rights in 03, they didn't have to give him anything to keep it, they already owned it.

Seems like they wanted him to make another season, he wouldn't commit so they put someone else in charge to get another season.

they bought the rights for the boondocks period or just the rights to show the cartoons?....

that what it seems like, but why give him another show then?...it seems he might be suffering from the same shyt that dave chapelle did...he realized a lot of the jokes and shyt went from laughing with us, to laughing at us....

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they bought the rights for the boondocks period or just the rights to show the cartoons?....

TV and movie rights.

that what it seems like, but why give him another show then?...it seems he might be suffering from the same shyt that dave chapelle did...he realized a lot of the jokes and shyt went from laughing with us, to laughing at us....
It's what he's focused on right now. It's more likely that any Black Jesus episodes would've aired before Aaron decided to do more Boondocks episodes, if ever

When he was writing his comics he use to have trouble meeting deadlines and eventually took a hiatus from which he never returned.

CNN.com - Return of 'Boondocks' comic strip delayed - Sep 25, 2006

Aaron McGruder, who in February put his strip on what was supposed to be a six-month hiatus, has not decided when, or if, he will return to newspapers, Universal Press Syndicate announced Monday. The syndicate stressed that McGruder has made no statement about retiring.

The comic was to return in October and new strips would have had to be in by mid-September to meet newspapers' deadlines for printing them, said Lee Salem, president of Kansas City-based Universal Press.

McGruder, 31, is busy with a Cartoon Network animated TV show of his comic and other ventures and didn't believe it was the right time to decide whether to return to newspapers, Salem said in a telephone interview from Washington D.C.

It's not a Chappelle thing at all, if that was concern, he's definitely not gonna fix that by doing a show about Black Jesus living in Compton.