Michael Strahan Just Left 'LIVE' And Joined Good Morning America ....Blindsides Kelly Ripa

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

gettyimages-521280660-h_2016.jpg

Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for IWC
The Fox Sports analyst will begin his full-time duties in September.

Michael Strahan will exit ABC's Live With Kelly andMichael and join Good Morning America full time. ABC News president James Goldston announced the news Tuesday in a staff memo. Strahan, who has been appearing twice a week on the morning show since 2014, will begin his full-time duties in September. He'll exit Live overthesummer.

"I look forward to continuing to work with the incredible team at GMA. It is an exciting opportunity to be able to bring unique stories and voices to the audience,” Strahan said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

He added, “My time with Live With Kelly andMichael has been transformative, and my departure will be bittersweet. Kelly has been an unbelievable partner, and I am so thankful to her and the entire team. I am extremely grateful for the amazing support I've received from all of the fans."

In a memo to ABC News staffers, Goldston notedGMA's snapping of Today's historic 16-year morning-news winning streak back in 2012. GMAremains the most-watched morning news program, but this season Today has regained the lead in the critical 25-54 demographic.

Strahan, a former New York Giants star and NFL analyst at Fox Sports, joined Live four years ago. He successfully extended his brand in that time and in 2014 was tapped as a special correspondent on GMA, appearing twice a week and then heading over to the Live studiofor his full-time job. He was chosen as Kelly Ripa's co-host on Live following Regis Philbin's retirement in 2011 after 28 years on the show. And beginning this fall, Live will once again audition co-hosts for Ripa.

Goldston's full memo:

Team –

I want to share some exciting news about our GMA family.

The deeply talented Michael Strahan, who currently joins Robin, George, Lara, Amy and Ginger twice a week, will expand his role to appear full-time in the mornings on GMA starting in September.

Michael has been a stellar addition to the broadcast. Over the past two years on GMA, he’s proven to be a tireless and versatile broadcaster with an incredible ability to connect with people, from veterans to American pop culture icons and newsmakers.

He will end a four year run as Kelly Ripa’s co-host on Live!, where he has honed his skills as an interviewer with genuine warmth and a quick wit. At GMA he’ll now have even more opportunities to tell stories that inspire, inform and empower people.

Almost exactly four years ago GMA memorably broke Today’s epic 16-year win streak in the mornings. Since then, the team has battled just as fiercely to deliver great journalism when news breaks, from San Bernardino to Brussels; reported relentlessly from the campaign trail with over 100 interviews with the candidates; and embraced new technology — from VR to our GMA Wake Up Call — to supercharge how we connect with our viewers every minute of the day.

I’m delighted to welcome Michael to GMA each and every morning. I can’t wait to see what this incredibly talented team will bring our viewers next.

James

Click to expand...​

Last edited: