Millennials say traveling is more important to them than advancing their careers, owning a home, being debt-free, or being in a relationship

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
  • Nearly half of millennials said traveling was a top goal in the next five years.
  • Two millennial travelers told Business Insider that peace of mind motivates their generation the most.
  • Their generation has been beaten down by the housing crisis, student debt, and inflation.
Advertisement
While Carissa Boston's millennial friends spent their 20s having children and saving up for their forever homes, she was working two jobs to fund trips abroad.

Today, more millennials — who are between the ages of 27 and 42 — have joined her in bucking traditional financial goals in favor of a stamped-up passport. In fact, for some, it's more important than being debt-free, advancing their careers, and even starting a family.

Business Insider, in collaboration with YouGov, surveyed more than 1,800 Americans spanning five generations. Some 49% of millennial respondents said travel is an important goal for them in the next five years, which was a higher percentage than any other generation.

Two millennials who travel for a living told BI that they aren't surprised by the findings. In fact, they've chosen to put off those life milestones to see the world.

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
As somone that has two paid off cars and debt free other than my house, i can say I rather be in this situation. I travel to a new country or atleast try to every year. Paying it cash. I like to sleep without having to worry about debt and oweing anyone:pacspit:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I spent my whole 20’s pursuing my career and chasing the highest possible salary so I could get my house and now I’m in my 30’s with a mortgage, I see why people prioritized having fun. Wouldn’t trade places but I get it :ehh:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
As somone that has two paid off cars and debt free other than my house, i can say I rather be in this situation. I travel to a new country or atleast try to every year. Paying it cash. I like to sleep without having to worry about debt and oweing anyone:pacspit:

Traveling is therapeutic but lotta folks travel [on credit] to escape depression of being wage slaves only to become deeper run debt thus the endless cycle.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Why you mad at their decisions? Seems like you’re more financially well off than most
:heh:

LowkeyD

All Star
Daps
I do all that but debt free. Married, home owned, have kids and travel. I can't say the same for my counter parts though so personally the article holds merit. Also, I leverage debt not accure it. Right now it's a driving factor in my income but hopefully that'll change in the near future.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
How many of those will have hand me down homes from their parents though? Context like that is never included. What are their economic backgrounds?

Easy to travel the world, not worry about your career, etc. when you already got a safety net.

Other people have to grind and build.

Edit: Some very smart people join the military so they can pay for college to take strain off their families financially. Those born into privilege don't have to consider options like that.

Last edited:

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
I spent my whole 20’s pursuing my career and chasing the highest possible salary so I could get my house and now I’m in my 30’s with a mortgage, I see why people prioritized having fun. Wouldn’t trade places but I get it :ehh:
You can’t have fun in your 30s with a built out career path and home you own? That’s the ideal way to do things. Financial freedom > some drunken vacations packing 5 people to a room to save money in your early 20s