More people are getting news from TikTok (Pew Research Center study)

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
November 15, 2023

More Americans are getting news on TikTok, bucking the trend seen on most other social media sites​

By Katerina Eva Matsa

A small but growing share of U.S. adults say they regularly get news on TikTok. This is in contrast with many other social media sites, where news consumption has either declined or stayed about the same in recent years.
A bar chart showing that about a third of U.S. adults under 30 now regularly get news on TikTok.
In just three years, the share of U.S. adults who say they regularly get news from TikTok has more than quadrupled, from 3% in 2020 to 14% in 2023.
TikTok, primarily known for short-form video sharing, has become especially popular among teens – two-thirds of whom report ever using the platform – as well as young adults.
How we did this

Among adults, those ages 18 to 29 are most likely to say they regularly get news on TikTok. About a third of Americans in this age group (32%) say they regularly get news there, a higher share than in years before. This compares with 15% of those ages 30 to 49, 7% of those 50 to 64 and just 3% of those 65 and older.

More of TikTok’s U.S. adult users are getting news there as well. Currently, 43% of TikTok users say they regularly get news on the site, up from 33% who said the same in 2022. TikTok users are now just as likely to get news from TikTok as Facebook users are to get news from Facebook. Still, TikTok users are less likely than users of X, formerly Twitter, to get news on the site.

Charts that show the share of TikTok users who regularly get news there has nearly doubled since 2020.
Note: Here

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
If your kid can read books, do basic critical thinking, or have an attention span longer than a goldfish in the future, they will be a genius.

Literally idiocracy.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I couldn't picture myself getting news from a random person speaking about random topics. No credibility, no expertise, no research.....just somebody talking?

But, I grew up when Black owned/run newspapers, magazines, and radio stations were a thing....and journalist covered stories and issued retractions when they reported something that wasn't accurate.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
American education is so horrible these kids grow up to behave like kids for the rest of their lives. No wonder they get news from shytty vanity apps like tik tok.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I couldn't picture myself getting news from a random person speaking about random topics. No credibility, no expertise, no research.....just somebody talking?

But, I grew up when Black owned/run newspapers, magazines, and radio stations were a thing....and journalist covered stories and issued retractions when they reported something that wasn't accurate.

those random people tend to build reputations for habitually citing sources for the info they're sharing, replying to comments seeking more info and providing context and/or follow-up videos on what they previously reported on. there are people on there that break down legislative bills whether they be local, state or federal and speak plainly on the impact it'll have on people.

Last edited:

concise

Veteran
Daps
those random people tend to build reputations for habitually citing sources for the info they're sharing, replying to comments seeking more info and providing context and/or follow-up videos on what they previously reported on. there are people on there that break down legislative bills whether they be local, state or federal and speak plainly on the impact it'll have on people.

So what you're saying is, the audience is too lazy to go these news websites for news and would rather some random people read it to them? :laugh:

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
White supremacist musk owns twitter, amoral Zuckerberg owns facebook, and foreign boogeyman owns TikTok. But so far the first to have been blatantly caught spreading bullshyt by their owners, while TikTok is still mostly benign and user-controlled for now.

So I'm fine with tiktok.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
So what you're saying is, the audience is too lazy to go these news websites for news and would rather some random people read it to them? :laugh:

it can't all be boiled down to simple laziness, social media offers a different perspective/take then mainstream news media that always report with their advertisers at the forefront of their minds and concern. advertisers can't effectively boycott individual accounts that harm their interests just cause they share the news.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

Kids getting their news from literal onlyfans hoes. :pachaha:Its a whole new world outchea.