Mortgage rates in the US are surging toward 6%, a level not seen since late 2008 and a potential tipping point for the red-hot housing market

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Mortgage Surge Toward 6% Slams Brakes on Red-Hot Housing Market

June 16. 2022
When mortgage broker Jeff Lazerson quoted a 6% rate for a client this week, he thought it was a mistake. The last time 30-year rates were that high was late 2008, when policymakers plunged the world into an era of ultra-low rates to pull economies back from the brink.

“What a shocker!’” said Lazerson, president of Mortgage Grader Inc. in Laguna Niguel, California. “My sense is we’ll see a very nasty recession.”

Borrowing costs are swiftly approaching a potential tipping point for housing and the broader economy — an indicator of whether the Federal Reserve’s efforts to cool inflation will end with a soft or a hard landing. On Wednesday, the Fed announced a three-quarter point rate hike, the biggest since 1994.

For now, 30-year mortgage rates that have more than doubled from January 2021’s record low are deepening an affordability crisis that’s been building throughout the pandemic as home prices soared. Costlier loans are slowing property sales and pushing ownership out of reach for first-time buyers — a slip in demand that’s spurring layoffs at lenders and brokerages.

“By the time we report June numbers, I expect we’ll report housing affordability at an all-time low,” said Andy Walden, vice president for research at data provider Black Knight Inc. “For folks that have been in the housing market, their position is extremely strong. They’re sitting on record equity. Folks trying to get in that door — it has been extremely challenging over the last two years and it’s becoming even more challenging.”

Rates for 30-year mortgages averaged 5.78% this week, the highest since November 2008, Freddie Mac said Thursday. Other measures have shown borrowing costs already passing the 6% mark.

In raising rates, the Fed has to thread the delicate needle of tamping down inflation without crushing the economy. When consumers feel good about the economy, their jobs and financial situation, they’re more inclined to make a major purchase like a home, which for many people is the biggest investment of their lives, said Danielle Hale, chief economist for Realtor.com.

For shoppers still in the hunt, higher loan costs are forcing them to cut their maximum price ranges significantly, according to a study by Redfin Corp. When rates hovered around 3% at the beginning of the year, a buyer with a $2,500 monthly budget could afford a $517,500 home. That drops to $427,250 with a mortgage at 5.2%, the brokerage said.
Full article in the link
Link:

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
People still in the market right now remember when mortgage rates were 12%. This ain’t nothing to these folks.
Sounds like those Reagan years. Those rates may have been even higher around the time he first got in. I just remember those rates went up suddenly, and the people who were having houses built, but didn't lock-in their rate, suffered, unless they paid the house off fast. A lot of new houses got left standing because of those sudden rises in rates.

Last edited:

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
fukking realtor companies are buying and renting out homes for double the normal price. What in the actual fukking world is going on
Real talk, shyt won’t change until people take to the streets.
Which probably won’t happen, but people have to do SOMETHING because they do not care about the average person in this country.

DuncanWebayama

webayama 7'5" hall of fame loc
Daps
Reppin
french baguittes and chips
This only affects buyers. Homeowners with fixed rates are not affected. I got a 2.1 interest rate so I'm good. Also this won't devalue homes in places where there are home shortages, the price will steadily increase, but the amount of homes sold will decrease. I feel for the brehs who were in the market when rates were in the 2%, I can't imagine myself purchasing a home at 6% sheesh. This is the ripple affect of the fed increasing the rates, decrease the demand for loanable funds and the amount of money in circulation.

powmia

Pro
Daps
Next 2 years going to look bad
It might not be too bad. Especially if you're are not planning on moving or if you're gonna buy a home. When I lur purchased my first home in 05 a rate as low as 6% was unheard of. Also unheard of was the monthly 10% appreciation that I have been experiencing in Raleigh, NC. My home has been increasing by nearly 10% every month since 2020. The housing market in Raleigh was strong in 05 with a 8% interest rate back then. It will probably still be strong now just not ridiculous. Regional headquarters for Google, Apple and Facebook have been announced for here but haven't broken ground yet. Those silicone Valley people gotta stay somewhere when they leave Cali.