Mos Def + Aretha Franklin - One Step Ahead [blend]

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps
19SH9vJ.jpg

This is a blend I created as a hip hop tribute to the Queen Of Soul, Aretha Franklin. For those who don't already know, producer Ayatollah originally sampled Aretha Franklin's "One Step Ahead" to create the beat for Mos Def's "Ms Fat Booty". For Aretha's verses, I blended it over Ayatollah's drums so it hits harder. For Mos Def's 1st verse, I deconstructed the Aretha sample, and rebuilt Ayatollah's beat adding some changes of my own. Mos' 2nd verse is from the retail version.

R.I.P Aretha

If you want to be added to my tag list for future blends/mixtapes, just leave a msg below and I'll update the list.

@Nighthawk @TL15 @King Napz @MTAFZ @ArchStanton @MoveAround @premier58 @Smokee Robinson @revan @bobbiewishbone @Xtz23 @chiefdogg @Oldirtyb*stard
@ItsTimJackson @mrjoncampbell @Wallychamp @Deoji @Tactical @quezlofresh @KravenMorehead™ @HiiiPower @Methodical @Black Lightning @Hammer
@Shadow King @dubsmith_nz @avon barksdale @Geoffrey_Chaucer @oO J Smooth Oo @The Infamous @ItsTimJackson @Jimmy the gent
@JC_USN @TripleAgent @Sukairain @Jay Darko @Tom Foolery @chunky_mcdaniels @Lord Mecca @Yehuda @Jimmy Two-Times™
@douche @Day_Walker @u are always correct @GoldenGlove @shawntitan

Last edited:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The rapper Blu ripped this as a sample on an exile produced joint but this is a dope blend.

Yup. Had to revisit it last night after listening to this blend.

Which do you prefer? The 2011 OG version or the official retail version?