Most Impressive Fight of RJJ Career??

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
i loved that griffin 2 fight, just pure anger in that man for that fight was crazy. especially after griffin was talking reckless after the first like he didn't get figured out and get dropped, son lost cause roy hit him on the ground. the way griffin was talking you legit would have thought he won. george foreman commentary made it so classic in the 2nd fight too. george said something like to griffin to just live and fight another day, and his neck got bent back or something like that lol

also, i think that tarver 1 was impressive cause he had to dig deep and get the win. he showed a lot of grit and will to win that one, especially coming down like 20 plus pounds. after that win, i would have never gave tarver another shot, but the competitor in roy did, wanted to beat him more clear cut. his punch resistance and reflexes was gone though all the weight loss.

i think roy was way more cerebral then he got credit for, he could set traps and his feints was mean. add to that his athleticism and duke was special.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
loved that griffin 2 fight, just pure anger in that man for that fight was crazy. especially after griffin was talking reckless after the first like he didn't get figured out and get dropped, son lost cause roy hit him on the ground. the way griffin was talking you legit would have thought he won.

That fight was close...Griffin took rounds off Roy..even at the DQ stoppage, he was ahead on one of the cards and only losing by 1 and 2 points on the other...Roy fukked up yes but Griffin earned that W

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
i loved that griffin 2 fight, just pure anger in that man for that fight was crazy. especially after griffin was talking reckless after the first like he didn't get figured out and get dropped, son lost cause roy hit him on the ground. the way griffin was talking you legit would have thought he won. george foreman commentary made it so classic in the 2nd fight too. george said something like to griffin to just live and fight another day, and his neck got bent back or something like that lol

also, i think that tarver 1 was impressive cause he had to dig deep and get the win. he showed a lot of grit and will to win that one, especially coming down like 20 plus pounds. after that win, i would have never gave tarver another shot, but the competitor in roy did, wanted to beat him more clear cut. his punch resistance and reflexes was gone though all the weight loss.

i think roy was way more cerebral then he got credit for, he could set traps and his feints was mean. add to that his athleticism and duke was special.

What I'll never forget about Tarver 1 was his corner saying...Roy, u got to win this round. Someone that great has never had to hear that before and he did what he had to do to win.

Last edited:

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
That fight was close...Griffin took rounds off Roy..even at the DQ stoppage, he was ahead on one of the cards and only losing by 1 and 2 points on the other...Roy fukked up yes but Griffin earned that W

That's what I'm saying- Griff was competing with him, maybe winning but not dominating him. Then Roy starting figuring him out and even dropped him and lost cause he was anxious and hit him late. But Griff interview after it, would have made you think he was giving out a lesson and Roy just cheap shotted him lol. I'ma go back and rewatch that 1st fight though.

Last edited:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know people always say roy should have retired after the Ruiz fight, but it's hard to retire when a fighter shows up to the press conference talking shyt

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I know people always say roy should have retired after the Ruiz fight, but it's hard to retire when a fighter shows up to the press conference talking shyt

roy retiring after ruiz..nah...roy in the heavyweight division..the stars were aligned...there were money fights waiting for him at hW..lewis, tyson, holyfield, toney rematch...hell even chris byrd..its really a damn shame

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
roy retiring after ruiz..nah...roy in the heavyweight division..the stars were aligned...there were money fights waiting for him at hW..lewis, tyson, holyfield, toney rematch...hell even chris byrd..its really a damn shame

:ehh:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Whatever he did to get back down to 175 did permanent, irreversible damage to his body...wouldn't have made a difference where he fought at after that...he was DONE...if he was gonna move down, his strength & conditioning team should've studied the methods Archie Moore used when he used to go back n forth from Light Hvy to Hvy...really one of the worst business & professional decisions in boxing history was Roy leaving the Heavyweight division when their was so much more money in the division at the time than what was at Light Heavyweight.

Fight was real competitive too...think i had Tate losing to Jackson only by a round or 2.

Well this is where RJJ messed up, he didn't wan't to pay Mackie Shilstone for the first Tarver fight. Roy said it himself he basically ran the muscle weight off to make weight. Which makes sense how bad he looked, skin all dry looking and how damage his face looked after the fight. That basically ruined him right there. He rehired Mackie for the second Tarver fight but the damage was already done from the first fight.

I still remember when Larry Merchant went in his locker room before the first Tarver fight and asked Roy how he felt, and Roy said he was about 7 out of 10 and he didn't even know if he could even beat Tarver that night.