MUSIC REQUIRES LESS SKILL for every passing generation! (WHY OLD HEADS ALWAYS HATIN)

Imlinkin

Banned
Daps
Notice that I said SKILL, and not TALENT, but in some cases you might as well throw talent in the mix as well. Tell me I'm lying:

:martin:

As a youngin, I was offended when Quincy Jones said that Puff wasnt no "REAL" producer, that he wouldnt know a B flat if it hit him in the back of the head... But looking back, was he lying? :jawalrus: QJ trained for DECADES to make Off the Wall a classic like dat

sean_combs_quincy_jones_360.jpeg

Our era sampled them nikkas to death. Because...technology opened the gates for cats where less skill was required...

:scust:

THEY HAD to have a live orchestra on stage back then.
THEY HAD to have top 1% vocal talent
THEY HAD to have so much backing to even get into the studio to record a track with live MUTHAFKIN musicians...!!!
benny-carter-studio-band-1946.jpg

Have you any clue how coooollld you had to be back in the day to even grip a mic as a vocalist??? The older gen had Marvin, Sam Cooke, Stevie Wonder, Barry White...then Michael..

NOT NEARLY AS MANY CATS EVEN HAD A CHANCE IN THE music GAME.. simply because they werent natural born vocalists. :russ:

6cddd2075d5bd00f4b7cb7c0bf05bedb.jpg

:shaq: and now a PSA for you young nikkaz

TO YOU MY SJS (Skinny Jean Sagging) little friends... :yes:

YOUR DAY IS COMING.

The technology has released the floodgates wide enough for anybody & they momma to drop a track..

:troll: music is degenerating to the point that one day a nikka will record himself taking a dump on the mic. Im talking groaning, water splashing, toilet paper rolling sounds, wiping, the whole 9:sadcam:

Lil Boo Boo will release "Shyt" and itll be #1 on Itunes.

Youngins will offer dumb philosophies on why its real music and why its edgy

:gladbron: "Lil Boo Boo is REDEFINING what music is. ..but you a old nikka so you dont understand "shyt"..and its #1. Quit hatin old man..you dont like that shyt, dont listen to Lil Boo Boo go play that dinasour azz trap music "!

Youll be remembering what it took in your day like..

:patrice: ..
B-b-b it aint got no trap beat behind it or nunnn.... Back in my day london wouldve at least dropped sum 808s on that shyt. Or:

..:what: I accept that he took a shyt on the mic..cuz i hate to be rigid. Maybe "shyt" is music..but...He couldnt at least autotune that Shyt? Fewtch woulda autotuned the fucc out that shyt ..Or:

:smugfavre: where's the dance to go with this "shyt"? He aint boppin or nunn

YOULL BE SAYING WHAT WE're saying NOW, and what the OLD OLD HEADS SAID TO US:

IT TOOK SO MUCH MORE TO DO THAT SHYT BACK IN MY DAY:

hip-hop-hero.jpg

I

Last edited:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I am 26 and I am just tired of nikkas sound the same. It's all nothing but clones. Bunch of trap rappers want to emulate thugger or Future cause that's who is the hottest in their genre, naw, make your own Lane.

Same will all the auto tune, rap song nikkas.

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
There are lots of artists who still use live instrumentation, and I'm not sure why you're upset that it is more accessible than ever.

Imlinkin

Banned
Daps
Good point. That'll make it take even LESS skill & talent going forward cuz they aint focused on finding talent, just marketability..

:yes:

Yep and major labels are no longer looking for merely a vocalist. They're looking for stars to make money a million ways.

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
Some of this is lying. College dropout could not have been the harder album to make than Ye's newer music considering Ye's music now is the collective effort of like 60 people. Live music is also coming back in hiphop if anything

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Some of this is lying. College dropout could not have been the harder album to make than Ye's newer music considering Ye's music now is the collective effort of like 60 people. Live music is also coming back in hiphop if anything
This is just about hip-hop and Kanye is the exception not rule.

Imlinkin

Banned
Daps
Not upset. Im trying to bring understanding to the debate. My pops was shytting on me all the time about rap cuz ...

:patrice:ummm....where's the one mic & 5 nikkaz in suits doing choreagraphed dances.???.. Wheres the 5 part harmony? THIS Shyt sucks boy. He was listening with old ears... Was searching for that temptation's magic formula in Outkast.. Strings, perfect harmony

So i dont crap on the new generation but im not feeling 97% of it. . i wondered why ....and i realized its because im listening for cues on whats dope based on what MY ears got accustomed to in the 90s..

Imagine that the next gen is telling you they love music with ZERO BASS and no drums... Like:

:mjlol:

How could yall old nikkas ever like this bass heavy garbage? How could you ever hear the vocals over the bass old man???..
Trap music is not peaceful..zero violins...wheres the mandolin and the tenor?

You might be listening to a new school all tenor vocal track like :scust:

.. Waiting for the bass to drop cuz thats how you define whats dope.
:blessed:

I respect the new cats tho, k dot & cole bring me back to my definition of whats good

There are lots of artists who still use live instrumentation, and I'm not sure why you're upset that it is more accessible than ever.

Last edited:

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Blame more of labels for that tho. They're not paying for no orchestra unless they KNOW that artist is going to sell well and get their money back :francis:
Artists are still trying tho :ld:
Kendrick is doing Jazz:ld:
Chance the rapper has live instrumentation :ld:

Imlinkin

Banned
Daps
Ye is thorough. Whether he's a trained musician or not, he's a real musician & the last of a dying breed.

:francis:

Im happy for any youngin to hit it big buy YOU KNOW that some of these hits from this era are driven 999 miles by the beat and 1 mile by the lyrics to reach a stack and labels are like f-it.

:shaq:
"Youre marketable: we'll get one of these old lyrical 90s nikkas to write you some catchy azz hook and it wont even matter how simple your lyrics are & we got a whole vault full of hot trap beats we bought for $7 a pop cuz errbody is selling beats...you just keep the street cred & image up. We'll handle the rest lil buddy."

Imlinkin

Banned
Daps
Im not eeen saying thats a good look or sound though, just that old heads were hating on the hiphop gen in the 90s, saying WE had to have this to make it, ya'll lil dudes got 1 DJ and a beat playing that you sampled from a song on which WE used a 100 man orchestra for...

:yeshrug:

This WAS DOPE:

The originators who made the sample are doper and tried 100x harder to make it:

Who is colder to you?

Blame more of labels for that tho. They're not paying for no orchestra unless they KNOW that artist is going to sell well and get their money back :francis:
Artists are still trying tho :ld:
Kendrick is doing Jazz:ld:
Chance the rapper has live instrumentation :ld:

Last edited:

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Not upset. Im trying to bring understanding to the debate. My pops was shytting on me all the time about rap cuz ...

:patrice:ummm....where's the one mic & 5 nikkaz in suits doing choreagraphed dances.???.. Wheres the 5 part harmony? THIS Shyt sucks boy. He was listening with old ears... Was searching for that temptation's magic formula in Outkast.. Strings, perfect harmony

So i dont crap on the new generation but im not feeling 97% of it. . i wondered why ....and i realized its because im listening for cues on whats dope based on what MY ears got accustomed to in the 90s..

Imagine that the next gen is telling you they love music with ZERO BASS and no drums... Like:

:mjlol:

How could yall old nikkas ever like this bass heavy garbage? How could you ever hear the vocals over the bass old man???..
Trap music is not peaceful..zero violins...wheres the mandolin and the tenor?

You might be listening to a new school all tenor vocal track like :scust:

.. Waiting for the bass to drop cuz thats how you define whats dope.
:blessed:

I respect the new cats tho, k dot & cole bring me back to my definition of whats good

It's to be expected that there is going to be a lot more bullshyt since there is a lot more music in general.

I like a lot of old things too but I don't compare them to music today it just won't work, do you make music at all?

I just want to see where you're coming from, saying that it takes more skill to do one thing over another is weak, but saying you don't like it is fine, just don't call it a lack of skill because you don't like it.