My Adventures With Superman (HBO Max, Adult Swim animated series) - trailer out!

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Watched about 10 minutes of it. It’s alright. I’ll finish it up later but looking in a trajectory of maybe slightly above average. It could surprise me though.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is why DC is failing.
Yeah this show is about as generic feeling as can be. The problem with Superman is he's such a bland character created for a different era. Marvel figured out how to put a beard on Captain America and make him a compelling punished version for the movies but Superman even with the Henry Cavill version which is about as edgy and brooding as I can remember still didn't feel all that interesting. It's hard to take an invincible mild mannered boyscout and make him compelling.

Unless I'm missing an episode this show begins in media res within the first few minutes Jimmy is teasing Lois about liking Clark. They all know each other and Clark isn't quite Superman yet but is about to become him. There's no character between Jimmy, Lois, and Clark that can carry this thing. Jimmy's just a generic sidekick so it can't be him. Clark is typical Clark Kent. Their version of Lois looks like an over eager tomboyish calamity Jane who is going to get herself in trouble and constantly need to be saved.

I think this show unless it comes up with a standout antagonist will be done in 2 seasons. Just feels like it's going through the motions early on.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I watched both episodes. I liked it. I'm typically not a fan of Lois Lane's character, but I like this version of her so far :ehh: what's her ethnicity supposed to be, btw? She doesn't look white to me.

I'm not sure why DC is bringing back Superman with the red trunks across various media. I thought we left that in the past a decade ago. :unimpressed:

At some point, they'll have to change Superman's story. Newspapers are damn near dead at this point. I know New 52 Superman started his own blog, but things eventually returned to the status quo. I think Clark being a blogger or vlogger would be far more interesting and relatable in 2023.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Damn I guess it was 2 episodes and I just recorded the second. Oh well. I’ll watch the first on Max whenever.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Adult Swim in general lately seems to be overhauling their programming to cater towards the teens more, along with Cartoon Network moving away from story-driven shows. It also feels like something that just about anybody can watch, so I kinda get why they made the move.

I’m enjoying this so far though. Quaid comes across as relaxed in the voice role. Still kinda iffy on the anime-ish art style but I like when Superman media portrayals key in on the altruistic, personable side of Clark Kent. Ngl, the midnight premiere did have me waiting on a jaw-dropping, tone switch moment similar to Invincible, but it didn’t happen and that’s okay. Reminds me of something that would air on Toonami back in the day.

[AS] fukked up letting that new Bruce Timm Batman series slip away to Amazon. They could’ve had a ‘World’s Finest’ power hour block with these two. :whew:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Adult Swim in general lately seems to be overhauling their programming to cater towards the teens more, along with Cartoon Network moving away from story-driven shows. It also feels like something that just about anybody can watch, so I kinda get why they made the move.

I’m enjoying this so far though. Quaid comes across as relaxed in the voice role. Still kinda iffy on the anime-ish art style but I like when Superman media portrayals key in on the altruistic, personable side of Clark Kent. Ngl, the midnight premiere did have me waiting on a jaw-dropping, tone switch moment similar to Invincible, but it didn’t happen and that’s okay. Reminds me of something that would air on Toonami back in the day.

[AS] fukked up letting that new Bruce Timm Batman series slip away to Amazon. They could’ve had a ‘World’s Finest’ power hour block with these two. :whew:
That was a Zaslav decision letting those batman cartoons go to Amazon and Netflix.

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
I watched both episodes. I liked it. I'm typically not a fan of Lois Lane's character, but I like this version of her so far :ehh: what's her ethnicity supposed to be, btw? She doesn't look white to me.

I'm not sure why DC is bringing back Superman with the red trunks across various media. I thought we left that in the past a decade ago. :unimpressed:

At some point, they'll have to change Superman's story. Newspapers are damn near dead at this point. I know New 52 Superman started his own blog, but things eventually returned to the status quo. I think Clark being a blogger or vlogger would be far more interesting and relatable in 2023.
Wouldn’t that make him like peter parker in a way?

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:lupe:I mean….it’s too early to form a lengthy opinion. I will give it a chance, but I don’t know bruh. shyt is looking spooky lol. I know everything can’t be Superman TAS, or Justice League TAS. But we will see how this plays out. Does anybody get Gohan and Videl vibes. From Clark and loris they’re a straight ripoff. Of Gohan during the Great Saiyaman arc in DBZ.

Last edited: