Nato chief says Trump remarks may put US and EU lives at risk

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Nato chief says Trump remarks may put US and EU lives at risk​

Jens Stoltenberg says Nato ‘ready and able to defend all allies’, after Trump invited Russia to attack member countries

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris and Lili Bayer in Brussels

Sun 11 Feb 2024 10.24 EST

The Nato chief, Jens Stoltenberg, has said any attack on the western military alliance would be met with a “united and forceful response”, after Donald Trump invited Russia to attack member countries that he perceived as not meeting their financial obligations.

Stoltenberg said in a statement: “Any suggestion that allies will not defend each other undermines all of our security, including that of the US, and puts American and European soldiers at increased risk. I expect that regardless of who wins the presidential election, the US will remain a strong and committed Nato ally.”

He said Nato remained “ready and able to defend all allies”.

Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally in Conway, South Carolina, on 10 Feburary 2024.
Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack Nato allies who pay too little
Read more

Trump told a campaign rally in South Carolina on Saturday night that he would “encourage” Russia to attack any of the US’s Nato allies that he felt were not paying their fair share.

The White House described the remarks as “appalling and unhinged”.

The former president has voiced misgivings about aid to Ukraine as it defends itself from the invasion launched by Russia in February 2022 – as well as to the existence of Nato, the 31-nation alliance that the US has committed to defending when necessary.

On Saturday, Trump claimed that during an unspecified Nato meeting he had told a fellow head of state that the US under his leadership would not defend any countries who were “delinquent”.

“One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said: ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’ I said: ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’” said Trump, adding: “No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

The Polish defence minister, Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, wrote on X: “Nato’s motto ‘one for all, all for one’ is a concrete commitment.”

He added: “Undermining the credibility of allied countries means weakening the entire Nato. No election campaign is an excuse for playing with the security of the alliance.”

The president of the European Council, Charles Michel, wrote on X that “reckless statements” on Nato’s security and solidarity only served the interests of the Russian president, Vladimir Putin. “They do not bring more security or peace to the world,” Michel said. “On the contrary, they re-emphasise the need for the EU to urgently further develop its strategic autonomy and invest in its defence. And to keep our alliance strong.”

The EU internal market commissioner, Thierry Breton, told the French TV channel LCI that Trump’s comments on military spending by Nato members were not new. “We have heard that before … Nothing new under the sun,” he said.

Breton added that European leaders understood that the EU needed to separately boost its own military spending and capacities and defence of sovereignty. “We cannot flip a coin about our security every four years depending on this or that election, namely the US presidential election,” he said.

Breton told LCI that Trump’s account of the meeting with Nato leaders was incorrect. “There’s maybe a little problem with his memory – it was actually a female president, not of a country but of the European Union,” Breton said, referring to the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, and a conversation she had with Trump in 2020.

Donald Trump says he told Nato ally to pay more or Russia can ‘do whatever they want’ – video

00:00:43

Donald Trump says he told Nato ally to pay more or Russia can ‘do whatever they want’ – video

In London, Peter Ricketts, a member of the House of Lords who previously served as the permanent representative to Nato in Brussels, wrote on X: “Not very plausible that the president of a ‘big’ European country would ask him that (or call him sir!). Trump seems to think that Nato is like a country club: you pay 2% of your GDP to the US which then provides defence services. Deeply corrosive of trust among Nato allies.”

Jan Lipavský, the Czech Republic’s minister for foreign affairs, said: “Nato is currently in the strongest position it has ever been, both because of the strong transatlantic link and because of the domestic deterrence and defence tasks that European allies are performing. Faced with the biggest threat since the end of the second world war, we are increasing defence budgets and acquiring new capabilities, many of which originate in the US.”

The White House spokesperson Andrew Bates, when asked about Trump’s comments, said: “Encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and unhinged – and it endangers American national security, global stability and our economy at home.”

The Nato treaty contains a provision that guarantees mutual defence of member states if one is attacked.

Nato countries agreed in 2014, after Russia annexed Ukraine’s Crimean peninsula, to halt the spending cuts they had made after the cold war and move towards spending 2% of their GDP on defence by 2024.

As of 2022, Nato reported that seven of what are now 31 Nato member countries were meeting that obligation, up from three in 2014. Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine has spurred additional military spending by some Nato members.

During his 2016 campaign, Trump alarmed western allies by warning that the US under his leadership might abandon its Nato treaty commitments and come to the defence only of countries that meet the alliance’s 2% target.

In campaign speeches, Trump has remained sceptical of organisations such as Nato, often lamenting the billions that the US spends on the military alliance whose support has been critical to Ukraine’s fight against Russia’s invasion.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
What’s the end goal?

Who is in trump war telling him to let go of nato, and I doubt it’s Russian spies feeding him this

And is the “establishment” going to let him disband nato

Is this something they want lowkey but can’t say it in public, the uk already left the eu

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Every stance trump took in regards to foreign policy benefited muva Russia :snoop:

And he's still at it :gucci:
What if the foreign policy is the western society trying to consolidate into a smaller group, what if the uk, us, aus, can, etc trying to separate themselves from any money obligations for Europe and other places

these countries can’t really afford to do some of the shyt they do and the 1% ain’t trying to give no bread up for real so the solution is to cut costs, what’s the biggest costs, separating yourself from nato/eu

The question is what France and Germany going into do, France seems like they about to go towards the Brics cause they will not survive without help from Africa, Germany could go either way

But it definitely seems like different factions fighting each other up top, and the neoliberals look like they about to lose, but like I said I’m curious as to who is behind trump to have him push this abandoning Europe play

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
What’s the end goal?

Who is in trump war telling him to let go of nato, and I doubt it’s Russian spies feeding him this

Is this something they want lowkey but can’t say it in public, the uk already left the eu

Ask yourself why does he continue to peddle weird Russian talking points against his own country's government. Ask yourself why does he keep lying about NATO payments. Ask yourself why he continually fawns over Putin (and other dictators). There is no answer to any of this that doesn't lead back to him having some type of affinity or connection to Putin. Not saying he's a plant, not saying he's compromised. But when you make it clear that you support strongmen over everything else, and you value money over everything.....you can be bought, or convinced to look the other way.

Dismantling NATO results in Poland being attacked. And eventually, regardless of NATO, the US is going to be pulled into that war. Do I think Russia is some superior threat? No, as we're seeing they're stalemated in Ukraine and Poland has the military capacity to run through them. But any Russian aggression against Poland would include nuclear threats. Likely not against Poland directly (since they're presumably want to annex the country), but allies would be targeted.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Ask yourself why does he continue to peddle weird Russian talking points against his own country's government. Ask yourself why does he keep lying about NATO payments. Ask yourself why he continually fawns over Putin (and other dictators). There is no answer to any of this that doesn't lead back to him having some type of affinity or connection to Putin. Not saying he's a plant, not saying he's compromised. But when you make it clear that you support strongmen over everything else, and you value money over everything.....you can be bought, or convinced to look the other way.

Dismantling NATO results in Poland being attacked. And eventually, regardless of NATO, the US is going to be pulled into that war. Do I think Russia is some superior threat? No, as we're seeing they're stalemated in Ukraine and Poland has the military capacity to run through them. But any Russian aggression against Poland would include nuclear threats. Likely not against Poland directly (since they're presumably want to annex the country), but allies would be targeted.
I don’t know, this seems deeper than trump just loving Putin, other groups probably co-signing this they just quiet

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
What’s the end goal?

I think the answer is much simpler than this because trump is a simple man with a vindictive streak against people he deems disloyal.

Trump no longer has a good working relationship with zelensky because zelensky (at no fault of his own) was at the center of trump's impeachment

Timeline of President Trump’s quid pro quo.

Also, looking back I wouldn't be surprised if trump knew about Putin's desire to invade again since he always insisted that his meetings with Putin to not be recorded.

merklman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
N17
If trump gets elected, i would put money on russia and ukraine signing some sort of peace deal within the first 6 months of presidency