Never Forget: Tracey Lee - “The Theme”

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Never Forget is a thread series, where we revisit some hits we may have placed back in the attic of our minds. Today, Tracey Lee - “The Theme”.

REMIX:

“B-BUT WAS IT REALLY A HIT??”

Billboard Hot 100 #55
Billboard Hot Rap Singles #6
Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles #19
Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi Singles Sales #3

AFTERMATH

- Lowkey, this is one of those cuts that was a bridge to the Shiny Suit Era.
Not because it was a Hitmen beat (D-Dot & Amen-Ra), but because it was one of the
first songs to hit around that time about just you and your crew going to the club or
party and being fly and chilling and chit.

- A lot of folks took that “It’s Party Tiiiiime...oh, it’s, Paaaaaarty Tiiiime...It’s a paaarteehhh”
chit and ran it into the ground (myself included). Shout out to Kurtis Blow, also.

- I understand he’s a lawyer or something law-related now.
It would be dope for him to have a theme, and play it while he walks in talmbat “this is my theme”.

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
I had that album when I was a kid. My brother bought it for me even though he said it was weak as fukk :russ:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I had a thought about this:

What is the real difference between Tracey Lee and Black Rob, all things considered?
Or even, between them and Craig Mack?

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I still have this single somewhere on vinyl.:obama:

I had a thought about this:

What is the real difference between Tracey Lee and Black Rob, all things considered?
Or even, between them and Craig Mack?

Difference is Tracey got out of the rap game early. This song was my shyt, but it wasn't iin the same stratosphere as 'Whoa' or 'Flava In Ya Ear'. Both of those records have to have had some life changing impact on Rob and Mack.

Tracey was looking where the ball was going to end up as opposed to where it was at the time, I guess.:manny:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
This song was my shyt, but it wasn't iin the same stratosphere as 'Whoa' or 'Flava In Ya Ear'. Both of those records have to have had some life changing impact on Rob and Mack.

Tracey was looking where the ball was going to end up as opposed to where it was at the time, I guess.:manny:

But...it kinda was, doe.

It was really was kinda like a “Whoa” or a “Flava In Ya Ear” at its time. It was a whole wave.
And like I was saying:

A) It technically came from the same place
B) It helped to bring on a big shift in the game. I don’t think many really get that.

...also, like Black Rob, that whole album got reach. I don’t know it sold, but I do know
- the remix got a good chunk of play also, and Busta was on it. Busta try to get on every hot remix
- “Give It Up Baby” used to be on Hit List on the reg
- “Keep Ya Hands High” with Biggie was a cut, too

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
I hated this shyt when it dropped :hhh:

It aint the worst tho :skip: