New Anthony Hamilton- 'What I'm Feelin''

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
New Anthony Hamilton out. Guy is so underrated in the game. Sad that I had to find out about this album on a soccer website.

First single and video.

CAN I KICK IT? – ANTHONY HAMILTON’S WHAT I’M FEELIN

CAN I KICK IT? – ANTHONY HAMILTON’S WHAT I’M FEELIN

Veteran soul singer Anthony Hamilton has made a few changes recently. Recording in Nashville, experimenting with more contemporary sounds, and letting intuition take him and his music to new places. Maybe it’s his extensive experience in the industry, exceptional skill, or powerful soul, but Hamilton does all of the aforementioned with grace and even ease.

What I’m Feelin’ isn’t necessarily an experimental album by normal standards, but it’s definitely a slight change in the Anthony Hamilton norm. There are still oodles of soul, roots, and blues musical notes here, such as in “Ain’t No Shame” and “Never Letting Go.” He has returned to work with long-time collaborator/producer Mark Batson for the album, after all. However, Hamilton remains different than much of contemporary R&B, which is something that he has been able to do the entirety of his career (when he released his debut in 2003, Justified, Ashanti, and “Ignition (Remix)” dominated the radio). With songs like these and others, Hamilton’s sound remains rooted in the south and in the church.

But the moments in which Anthony strays into whatever he was feeling when recording this album work. “Amen,” the album’s first single, sounds current without transforming Hamilton’s signature sound or soulfulness. “I Want You,” is a standout track on the album, and while it sounds slightly unadulterated or lustful for the likes of Hamilton (a norm in contemporary R&B), but it’s well-timed and expertly crafted. No matter the year, setting, or current nature of the music industry, his admiration for women and appreciation for the love shared between normal people remains the same.

What I’m Feelin’ is refreshing in many ways. It’s refreshing to hear the likes of Anthony Hamilton sing when most of the R&B music on the radio sounds similar. It’s refreshing to hear Hamilton mix a lot of the old with some contemporary sound. It’s refreshing to hear that he hasn’t changed much since “Charlene.” He’s still “got what you need/If you want it.”

@hustlemania This is up on Spotify, but I can't get to Spotify while at work.

James Worthy

Superstar
Daps
No. 3 to 12 of this album is classic material to me.

shyt had me catching the holy ghost!

Amen!

catch-that-holy-ghost-o.gif

Last edited: