Trill McClay

*Formerly known as Deeeez Nuts
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
ESPN.com's Michael Rothstein published a story last Friday about Detroit Lions wide receiver Ryan Broyles, highlighting the player's steadfast approach toward long-term financial security.

Rothstein's piece focuses on the figure of $60,000—a mark Broyles notes as his "give or take" annual expenditure target for lodging, food, entertainment and living expenses for him, his wife and newborn.

For many, it's not exactly a "roughing it" figure. But for a professional football player on a four-year, $3.6 million contract ($1.42 million guaranteed), it's living well within his means.

"I studied as much as I could," Broyles told Rothstein, explaining how an NFL rookie symposium made him think about his financial future. "Talked to people wealthier than me, smarter than me. So that definitely helps."

After plotting out a number that would let him live comfortably in the interim, Broyles began investing money and spending on things any other young, workaday father might. He and his wife drive Mazdas, and the Broyles still have the 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer he took to college.

Broyles says sticking to a budget has helped him learn when and where to spend his money.

"Then you know how much you can invest, how risky you can be," Broyles said. "When I was hitting the same budget over three, four, five months, it was all right. This is what your budget is and I had some spending money."

Rothstein wrote that Broyles has begun traveling for speaking engagements and is promoting a video game that will spread the message of frugality to others: Broyles immersed himself in the financial world. In March, he went to Washington, D.C., with New Orleans running back Mark Ingram to speak to students about financial planning. He worked with VISA and the NFL on promoting a Financial Football video game in classrooms to help teach financial security and planning in both D.C. and his home state of Oklahoma.

Source: Bleacher Report

Broyles was a beast at OU, straight beast in the slot, but hasn’t been able to stay healthy whatsoever. Good thing he has this going for him. I’m not a Lions fan, and yes I’m aware that he wifed a white broad, but planning and stewardship like this is bound to become the norm if the NFL and NCAA coaches can get behind this.

:salute:to this brothuh!

#BlackExcellence

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Broyles was a beast at OU, straight beast in the slot, but hasn’t been able to stay healthy whatsoever. Good thing he has this going for him. I’m not a Lions fan, and yes I’m aware that he wifed a white broad, but planning and stewardship like this is bound to become the norm if the NFL and NCAA coaches can get behind this.

#BlackExcellence
#GMB is undefeated....:sas2:
:yeshrug:at least he getting prepared for the storm

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
u can always tell the brights ones :sas2:
newsok2-205x300.jpg

Trill McClay

*Formerly known as Deeeez Nuts
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
#GMB is undefeated....:sas2:
:yeshrug:at least he getting prepared for the storm

Haha, hell yeah. He's got that exit strategy on deck..:russ:

Smart dude. I love these stories.
For real though. I love these kinds of stories. It not only gives brothuhs stability after the pro's but it can trickle down into the minds of the Junior and Seniors who are considering going pro.

Smart as fukk :manny:

Agreed. Never against another breh :eat:financially.

u can always tell the brights ones :sas2:
newsok2-205x300.jpg
:whoa: I hope you're referring to his willingness to live off of $60k..

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
He's been with that white girl since he was like 14

Broyles is a bust in the NFL but he's a good dude

#BlackExcellence

Darealtwo1

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
He's been with that white girl since he was like 14

Broyles is a bust in the NFL but he's a good dude

So what...Russ was with Ashton since they were younger and they still got the :mjpls: from the coli

Not to mention Ashton transferred 3 colleges to always be with russ. UGA to NC state to Wisconsin

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
More guys need to understand WHAT he's doing....

It's cool to have all that money, hell spend it on nice things...but cats have to remember what the average length of a playing career is. Only a handful of guys can keep checks (big/decent ones that is) coming in from ESPN, endorsements, or speaking engagements/HOF, etc...

What's gonna happen when you're 35 and you made some odd $50 million+ in your career but now looking at $0 income, and still have to pay $1million+ to keep up the lifestyle you've made for yourself? And you only got $2-3 mills in the bank?

yup, life will come at you fast...ask ya boy 50 or watch the now infamous "Broke"

JLova

Veteran
Daps
It's a lot harder when you're making crazy bank out the gate. Much easier when you don't have a long outlook and are making small money. That said, it's still good for anyone to have a solid budget and live below their means.