NJPW: G1 Climax 25 FINALS TONIGHT!

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
damn, Elgin think he's King from Tekken out there! :dwillhuh::what::gladbron::huhldup::ooh::sadbron::deadmanny:

And yeah me not knowing Japanese, Elgin's walking up the ramp and getting in the ring....

I swear the announcers are like ":lupe: look at his huge ass calf muscles!"

" :ohhh:yes, they are huge and monstrous!"

edit: nah, man. it's the way the cameraman kept panning down to his feet. :whoa::to:

Last edited:

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
watching Shibata/Ibushi right now and I feel like I'm in pain watching it, they gotta be going through it :whew:

Naito had AJ :lupe: at points great match
I like the new direction they're taking Naito's character

"LOS INGOBERNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLEEEESSSSS.....NAAAAAAI-IIIITO!!!"
p0WTeJ1.png

The Rainmaker

Mr. Money in the Bank
Daps
Poor Red Shoes, he didn't deserve that shyt. Full heel Naito is really despicable. :russ: at the announcer throwing him the mic to avoid any attack.

Tranquilo, Japonés, tranquilo :mjlol:

HereWeGo2

Rookie
Daps
I still don't like him . I get why people can like him but he's not for me :yeshrug: are you sure he's not a guy that couldn't make it in mma and realized he's better in wrestling ?
From what Meltzer said, the Japanese MMA scene was getting short on money. At the same time, NJPW was getting bigger again. He basically went back to NJPW for the money, is what the assumption is. Tanahashi even said something like "of course you have the passion for wrestling now that you're performing in front of sold out arenas!" lol.

I mean, I guess I just don't see why everyone gets upset about someone following another passion, or getting fed up with the wrestling industry. I get why fellow wrestlers would, if they feel that that wrestler got shots that they never did. But I don't understand why fans get upset. People make career changes and business decisions all of the time.

I can totally understand the feeling of "I want to pursue this now before it's too late." You only have so much time.

On top of that, Shibata freelanced in wrestling for over 2 years before leaving for MMA for good. So it's not like he just jumped ship. He has also alluded to the fact that Tanahashi knows damn well why he left NJPW.

I dunno, but lockerroom politics are always entertaining.

- Is Tanahashi slick?

Shibata : In a bad light, he’s slick. If you put it nicely, he’s clever. He throws sharp statements to matters that I can’t express in public. That’s his cleverness. And I don’t have that in me. He gained career in the “Conversational Ballgame” at NJPW. And I can’t beat him in that.

Shibata : And you know, he checks every statement that I make. Ones that I don’t even remember myself. This guy is peculiar! He’s just so peculiar when it comes to stuff about me.

Shibata : He must be really pissed too though. You won’t see that look on his face anywhere else. He’s the type of guy who would commend someone for a shytty match. It’s not like I want him to admire me. Not at all. But this time, I want to shut him up!!

Tanahashi admits he knew some things:
I’m fully aware of the reason why he couldn’t come to enjoy wrestling at that time, and that he left the company after much agonizing. So on the other hand, I feel happy for what he’s said (that he's starting to enjoy pro wrestling).

But I found his last word in NJPW (2005) “I’m not going to be a white-collar (yes-man) wrestler” offensive.
Due to the last statement, it again sounds like a total difference in personality between Shibata and the other wrestlers. Basically, it sounds like he would call the office on things & not take their bullshyt, which probably made him come off as ungrateful in the eyes of some wrestlers (and vice versa with him viewing them as weak). May be a CM Punk or Brock type of thing.

Shibata said this:
- Right, it’s completely different. He’s quite rough on you.

Shibata : Nobody could pull out “that Tanahashi” from him besides me. And he said he wouldn’t approve of my Puroresu (style). I’m fine with that. He could have it his way. He probably wants to say, “This ring is the place where I’ve stayed and struggled to protect”. As a result of his struggle and effort, NJPW is in a good condition. And I just happened to be here. I personally don’t feel that “I’m home” or anything. I guess he doesn’t find it very amusing though.
It really is like the Brock thing. It pisses people off that he doesn't make wrestling his world. Wrestling is like a cult in that way, where if you give any inkling of it being just a business to you, people take it as the ultimate insult. Like I said, people like Shibata and Brock can't be as good as they are without caring. It's just that they don't give a shyt about anything else besides being in the ring.

I notice that Shibata doesn't even have a Twitter account. Who doesn't have a Twitter account to promote themselves nowadays? Dude really just doesn't care.

On another topic, I thought that these words Tanahashi wrote about Naito (back when Naito was a face) were very smart:
t02200293_0240032011748930206.jpg

Fans’ expectation for Naito has been rising recently. The fans’ expectation of “This guy will do something (beyond our imagination)!” is important for a wrestler to go to the next level. And yet, Naito himself always expresses negative thoughts in his promos.

For instance, when he won the 2013 G1 Climax, his first words were “I was thinking that you might not remember me-”. This line was unnecessary. Everyone in the venue was informed of his injury and anxiety in the pre-match promo video. But he starts out with self-denial. May be some female fans would feel for Naito, but if he’s going for the top, I think he should make his statement more clear-cut and stronger.

“Tetsuya Naito is back! I’m coming for you, Tanahashi, Okada!”

That way, people’s expectation would grow in a good way, and lead them to cheer for Naito. That’s the kind of situation that the fans exactly want.

G1 Climax is where heroes are born. We fight all around Japan getting hurt along the way. As for 2013, we all fought through the summer for a birth of “G1 Climax Winner Tetsuya Naito”. That’s why I wanted him to cut a promo that would respond to the whole roster that took part in G1. So I couldn’t help but think, “What a great opportunity he wasted!”

I admire his skill as a wrestler, which made it even more disappointing. When I’m on the microphone, I try to pick “energetic words”.

For example I reword “Thank you” to “I’m grateful for you support!”

I see wrestlers in pre-title match press conference saying, “I want to win the match.” but they should really say, “I am going to win for sure.” You’re conveying two completely different messages here.

A young wrestler like Naito shouldn’t use less energetic words than me.

Last edited:

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
From what Meltzer said, the Japanese MMA scene was getting short on money. At the same time, NJPW was getting bigger again. He basically went back to NJPW for the money, is what the assumption is. Tanahashi even said something like "of course you have the passion for wrestling now that you're performing in front of sold out arenas!" lol.

I mean, I guess I just don't see why everyone gets upset about someone following another passion, or getting fed up with the wrestling industry. I get why fellow wrestlers would, if they feel that that wrestler got shots that they never did. But I don't understand why fans get upset. People make career changes and business decisions all of the time.

I can totally understand the feeling of "I want to pursue this now before it's too late." You only have so much time.

On top of that, Shibata freelanced in wrestling for over 2 years before leaving for MMA for good. So it's not like he just jumped ship. He has also alluded to the fact that Tanahashi knows damn well why he left NJPW.

Due to the last statement, it again sounds like a total difference in personality between Shibata and the other wrestlers. Basically, it sounds like he would call the office on things & not take their bullshyt, which probably made him come off as ungrateful in the eyes of some wrestlers (and vice versa with him viewing them as weak). May be a CM Punk or Brock type of thing.

Shibata said this:

It really is like the Brock thing. It pisses people off that he doesn't make wrestling his world. Wrestling is like a cult in that way, where if you give any inkling of it being just a business to you, people take it as the ultimate insult. Like I said, people like Shibata and Brock can't be as good as they are without caring. It's just that they don't give a shyt about anything else besides being in the ring.

I notice that Shibata doesn't even have a Twitter account. Who doesn't have a Twitter account to promote themselves nowadays? Dude really just doesn't care.

On another topic, I thought that these words Tanahashi wrote about Naito (back when Naito was a face) were very smart:
I just read those two interviews with Shibata and Tanahashi recently. They were very interesting

MightyHealthy

said what he said
Daps
Reppin
PUROGANG
Never got how people kept up with this :mindblown:

I'm still on day 3 :heh:
Personally, I watch the block matches exclusively.

Watched the warm-up tags on Night 1 to "teach" the nuances of the different styles to my gf, and when they subbed Elgin into the tag match when Naka forfeited, but a lot of it is filler with spots to hype up the next night's block battles.

If you can bear three hour WWE, make room for an hour and a half of that puro:banderas:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Never got how people kept up with this :mindblown:

I'm still on day 3 :heh:

This. I'm looking at these shyts at torrent sites because I kinda want to watch it and every day is a three hour show? :dwillhuh:

Even if I only pick the stand-out matches I feel like that's way too much wrestling to incorporate in the rest of my free time.

MightyHealthy

said what he said
Daps
Reppin
PUROGANG
They fukking BROUGHT IT tonight. There were two fantastic tags
Okada strugglin
and the block matches were wild. Flames.
Naito loses, gets busted open, still smiles like a goddamn lunatic :wow:

The Rainmaker

Mr. Money in the Bank
Daps
I wasn't expecting a lot from Night 9 (Tanahashi/Yano main event :francis: which it was entertaining but I prefer Yano matches kept short)

Ibushi/Tenzan was very good.
Shibata/Fale was... a match. Fat Fukk Fale needs to :camby:
Styles/Gallows was OK too.
Naito/Makabe started slooooooooooooow but it went to become a very good, although rough, match. Heel Naito more and more evil every day. Hope they bring the rest of Los Ingobernables. Now that Suzuki-Gun isn't there, we need a completely hated faction.

Red Shoes had another rough night:mjlol: Even Tanahashi hurt him by accident.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Shibata said this:

Hmm I'll give him a pass he is growing on me