No One Showed Up to Rally for Rieka Boyd

Theraflu

Newly-wed :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
rekia-boyd-1.jpg

New York City's Union Square, a modest crowd of about 100 people (depending on who you ask) showed up to rally for Rekia Boyd and Black women and girls who've been killed by police. The rally, organized by #BlackLivesMatterNYC , reflects much of what we already know about the value placed on Black women's lives.

The narrative on deadly police violence continues to exclude women, and precious few are willing to fight for justice both within the community and outside of it. A judge, this week, acquitted Rekia's killer, Dante Servin, of all charges. But Rekia's name will not spark a mass movement.

In the same city where thousands flooded the frigid streets months ago in the name of Eric Garner, few could be seen. We sent a photographer to capture the crowd. The images are a somber, moving reminder that the work is ongoing.
Thanks to Marino Mauricette.

Source:http://theculture.forharriet.com/201...#ixzz3YEbKQD2g

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's true this should be getting more attention, but what will a protest do? People protested for Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, and Mike Brown. Zimmerman and the cops still got off and are free men. Yes we need to highlight all of these wrongful deaths, but more importantly we need to come up with a game plan to stop these murders from happening continuously.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
This is sad to read and I'm really surprised by the low turnout ( In NYC's Union square of all places). I'm interested in why there was such a low attendance for this event. Was there not enough promotion for it? Did the BlacklivesMatter campaign blast this all over Social media to let people know it was going on? This is concerning to me because it feeds into the present notions that Black women's issues aren't a priority in our community and this is something that I vehemently disagree with. But this will be used as a divisive talking point by people who seek to cause division.

@*L*E*G*A*C*Y* Did you know anything about this breh?

Last edited:

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
There are many more like her that will never get the recognition that they deserve. You can't even use the excuse that her death wasn't recorded because neither was Brown's and the response to him was massive. People just don't want to discuss police brutality against black women.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Semi misleading article the main reason being because Erica Garner was from NY, Rekia was from Chicago

Chicago had a big movement for her

Other cities across the country had rallys where hundred of people attended

Also have to keep in mind that she was killed 3 years ago, this latest big movment aganist cops only started last year

another small and less thing IMO is the fact that her family i dont think has been too vocal (they took a almost $5 million settlement , IDK if that plays a part or not)

Sad that feminist are trying to turn this into a gender thing

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
It's true this should be getting more attention, but what will a protest do? People protested for Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, and Mike Brown. Zimmerman and the cops still got off and are free men. Yes we need to highlight all of these wrongful deaths, but more importantly we need to come up with a game plan to stop these murders from happening continuously.

Basically.. Ferguson should have taught the value of protesting.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
There are many more like her that will never get the recognition that they deserve. You can't even use the excuse that her death wasn't recorded because neither was Brown's and the response to him was massive. People just don't want to discuss police brutality against black women.
:francis:you just had to go there huh?

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:francis:you just had to go there huh?
It's the truth. You can choose to ignore it, but that doesn't make it any less true. Brown and Martin will go on to be footnotes in our history, but people like Boyd and Kathryn Johnston will be forgotten. Where were the riots and protests for Marlene Pinnock? They destroyed LA for Rodney King.

Last edited:

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
It's the truth. You can choose to ignore it, but that doesn't make it any less true. Brown and Martin will go on to be footnotes in our history, but people like Boyd and Kathryn Johnston will be forgotten. Where were the riots and protest for Marlene Pinnock? They destroyed LA for Rodney King.

I think the biggest reason why Brown and Martin will be remembered longer than Rekia Boyd, Renisha Mcbride, and others is because of the amount of media attention they've received on the National level. And that is in no way the fault of Black men or Black women since none of us control the main media outlets of this country. Do I think that Black women's issues should garner a bigger platform in our community? Absolutely! My mother is a black woman, my aunts and cousin are black women, and my lady is a black woman. So the issues of black women are very important to me. But I don't want this to be is an issue of divisiveness and gender dividing. What I do want to see is more collaboration between organizations to make this known for everyone across the board so we all can support and show solidarity for BOTH genders.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Surprisingly, this is a good post with truth