Non-American Brehs, what's your thoughts on guns?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Thinking about the crazy Karen who pulled a gun on the black mother and child in Michigan. I'm a child of Nigerian immigrants in the US and owning guns was never a thing growing up. Ever. The more I speak to immigrants and non-Americans in general, the more weirded out are they about (White) America's obsession with firearms.

So I'm looking for the opinion of y'all on this

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Are gun crimes as common in other countries? I know Mexico has the cartel wars and some countries have like religious or political beefs but what about like regular gun crimes?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Are gun crimes as common in other countries? I know Mexico has the cartel wars and some countries have like religious or political beefs but what about like regular gun crimes?
In most of Africa, there is not much gun crime. Other than sporadic ethnic or religious conflict, the homicide rate in African countries other than South Africa are super low. Europe, Australia & East Asia are, of course, famous for their strict gun control laws. Ditto about the rest of Asia.

Really the Americas are the only regions of the world with crazy high gun violence rates.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
In most of Africa, there is not much gun crime. Other than sporadic ethnic or religious conflict, the homicide rate in African countries other than South Africa are super low. Europe, Australia & East Asia are, of course, famous for their strict gun control laws. Ditto about the rest of Asia.

Really the Americas are the only regions of the world with crazy high gun violence rates.
Yeah and over here every state is different and has different laws. Some states are stricter than others. There's also a bigger economy for it cuz so much is spent on guns. Don't know which are the major gun manufacturing countries but I'm sure the US are the biggest consumers. Wonder if the public sector is as big a buyer as the private sector. I think the ease of access makes it different over here. Can easily have a gun with a clean record in plenty of states. Of course using it to point it at innocent civilians falls under the idiots category of the country.

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Americas obsession with firearms is weird, as it's the type of guns they think are suitable to have at home.

I grew up in London where the only people who had guns were criminals the police and farmers.

I moved to Canada a few years ago and went to a gun range here it was the first time I'd ever held a gun and I was legit shook. But I understood the terrifying power of it.

But I got over the shock quickly. I regularly go to the gun range here now. I respect guns, not as playthings or to show off, but I feel the discipline of using one has been good.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Personally, I’m against them (and other lethal weapons) because they’re equalisers for people that can’t defend themselves with their hands (I come from a family of martial artists).

However, I encourage all black people from America to be legally armed because it feels like a necessary evil. I still think de-escalation should be the first option, especially when dealing with other Black people. I joke with my family from Florida that despite my size and ability to fight, I would be considered “soft” out there because I’m not trying to clapped over something petty.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Well you already know Amerikkka is a special place or you would’ve never moved here.

guns are everywhere but Americans are infatuated with their “liberties” which is the right to bare arms. We also are the most advanced in warfare tbh...

The thing is, racism has held minorities in check which it usually takes young AA’s sacrifice to try to make everything else equal for immigrants in general despite being systematically oppressed our entire livelihood in this country... which is what other races/cultures/immigrants don’t understand when they come here and judge yet piggyback off of our sacrifices, copy our styles, etc.

We’re violent because we have to be... we came from it but not inherently.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
I've never had a gun pulled on me before. I've been to close proximity to shootings but never seen the shooting occur. The closest I've been was ironically in New York nearly 20 years ago when two people must have had road rage stop at the lights from across us and one just brought his gun and started shooting into the other car. I didnt even see that clearly as everything happened so quickly.

There is some gun crime in the UK but the figures are ridiculously low. I think its like a handful annually or something like that. Living in London, I would have expected to see more. The whole thing just shocks me tbh. Guns are just everywhere in the states and when you have that you'll have lots of deaths to go with it.

I just cant understand how people can be so comfortable with something that can instantly end a life with one shot.

White America in particular think its part of the reason for their greatness. I always think the US have the best and worst of everything but those 2 are not the reason for each other. They have that in spite of their drawbacks not because of it.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
:ufdup:
giphy.gif

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
Personally, I’m against them (and other lethal weapons) because they’re equalisers for people that can’t defend themselves with their hands (I come from a family of martial artists).

However, I encourage all black people from America to be legally armed because it feels like a necessary evil. I still think de-escalation should be the first option, especially when dealing with other Black people. I joke with my family from Florida that despite my size and ability to fight, I would be considered “soft” out there because I’m not trying to clapped over something petty.

Dude your hilariously Naïve. Where are you from originally?

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
The first time I held a gun was back in the early 90s as a kid cos I have an older cousin who used to run with yardies back in the day and kept it in the attic - he didn't know that we knew about it. Other times is in Jamaica where my family members, good and bad, own them. It's not as prevalent here but I've always known people who have had access to guns. It's not as easy now since the Dunblane incident back in 1996 when that white guy shot all those kids to death in a school. It's amazing how it only took that one incident for them to ban guns, but in America that happens every year but they're just like :manny: condolences to the families.

I'm not against legal gun ownership as you don't have as many lunatics here as you do in the states and wish there wasn't such a knee jerk reaction to the whole Dunblane thing, cos it's not like the average citizen had a whole bunch of uzis and shotguns in their homes. That was a one off incident.

As far as white America's obsession with guns, didn't Frances Cress Welsing go into depth about that?

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Dude your hilariously Naïve. Where are you from originally?

Not quite sure what I said was naive since I gave nuanced opinion but I’m from London, in particular an area that was known for stabbings. Grown up around knives and guns so it is what it is to me and I’ve seen guys that would never square up in a fight gain confidence from having a weapon.

If I lived in Florida with my other family, I’d be strapped even though I’d hope I never had to use it :manny:

Last edited:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Thinking about the crazy Karen who pulled a gun on the black mother and child in Michigan. I'm a child of Nigerian immigrants in the US and owning guns was never a thing growing up. Ever. The more I speak to immigrants and non-Americans in general, the more weirded out are they about (White) America's obsession with firearms.

So I'm looking for the opinion of y'all on this

Blacks aren't really obsessed with guns, that's only white people.

You and non Americans have a bad view of guns because of the culture here, it just brings up a bad stigma. Switzerland is the only country I can think of where they do gun ownership right. They aren't guns nuts, they just view them as tools

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps

What gun stats fail to to breakdown is the suicide rate using guns, gang vs gang, police using guns, and citizens using self defense using guns.

All of those variables are combined and until it's broken down, I really don't think gun homicides arent all that bad