Now That Chance Has Won 3 Grammys, Does That Mean Gospel Rap Is Mainstream?

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
I have to also show love to Lecrae, Mali Music, and the O.G. of this gospel shyt, Kirk Franklin:blessed:

But do you see more gospel influenced rap making waves in the mainstream?

chemicalsword

winter is coming
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Starkset...
Chance is gospel rap?
Has he always been that way? Thought i checked him out few years ago and seemed extra backpacky.
I could be confusing him though...

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
Chance is gospel rap?
Has he always been that way? Thought i checked him out few years ago and seemed extra backpacky.
I would classify Coloring Book as a gospel rap album:yeshrug:

As far as his earlier work, I'm not familiar outside of the Free mixtape he did with Lil B

Run Up

All Star
Daps
Just like Drake is the safe rapper crakkkas love

100% true. They thought the same for Kanye until he went crazy. The last black rapper that wasn't "safe" that they got behind was 50, and that's only because back then CAC's would do anything Eminem said :francis:

Run Up

All Star
Daps
Chance is gospel rap?

He started off as backpack/psychedelic drugs rap, then took a "friendlier" turn. He's definitely not Gospel rap, but starting with his Ultra Light Beam guest verse and then running through at least half the tracks on Coloring Book, he's incorporated some gospel into his work and a lot of praising God. I don't normally mess with Gospel sounding rap at all (I leave that to my preacher on Sundays....not my music), but Chance does it real well :blessed:

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
Chance is gospel rap?
he was a backpack hipster druggie rapper

did a song called sunday candy with gospel vibes that caught on
then did ultra light beam and never looked back

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
He started off as backpack/psychedelic drugs rap, then took a "friendlier" turn. He's definitely not Gospel rap, but starting with his Ultra Light Beam guest verse and then running through at least half the tracks on Coloring Book, he's incorporated some gospel into his work and a lot of praising God. I don't normally mess with Gospel sounding rap at all (I leave that to my preacher on Sundays....not my music), but Chance does it real well :blessed:
I don't want to put him in a strictly gospel rap category, but would you consider Coloring Book to be a gospel rap album?

Run Up

All Star
Daps
I don't want to put him in a strictly gospel rap category, but would you consider Coloring Book to be a gospel rap album?

Because of the overall content, I'd say no. No Problem, Same Drugs, Mixtape, Smoke Break. Even on the preachy songs, he raps about all kinds of things :manny: