NY Post: Activision insiders fret $69B Microsoft merger could fall apart: sources

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm wondering where that 70 billion would go if Sony manages to use their political influence to block this. I'm 1000% sure Activision/Blizzard won't be happy either.

If this deal gets blocked (which I don’t think it will) every other big 3rd party publisher will get blocked. They will buy a lot of the smaller dev studios probably, like Asobo, Certain Affinity, IO, maybe some smaller chinese or japanese studio.

Act/Blizzard will be right back to business like they never left. They are making money hand over fist right now, they are gonna go back to accepting whatever they are offered to keep them thriving which means their relationship with Sony stays the same as thats the platform they make the most money on. Money ain’t spiteful

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
If this deal gets blocked (which I don’t think it will) every other big 3rd party publisher will get blocked. They will buy a lot of the smaller dev studios probably, like Asobo, Certain Affinity, IO, maybe some smaller chinese or japanese studio.

Act/Blizzard will be right back to business like they never left. They are making money hand over fist right now, they are gonna go back to accepting whatever they are offered to keep them thriving which means their relationship with Sony stays the same as thats the platform they make the most money on. Money ain’t spiteful
I guess we'll find out early next year.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Europe putting their foot down and saying it's not the 90s anymore. Microsoft's shady practices coming back to bite them for all their dirt during that decade.

Facts, EU was gonna always be the final boss of this. They always have their foot on the neck of monopolies and big mergers. EU doesn’t play.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Imagine MS having to settle with Ubisoft or EA if they cant get Activision lmao

I couldn’t see EA happening for similar reasons. Maybe ubisoft…im thinking MS would rather buy out those Square Enix West studios from Embracer before that though.

EA would be like 40 something billion with a premium attached to it

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Facts, EU was gonna always be the final boss of this. They always have their foot on the neck of monopolies and big mergers. EU doesn’t play.

Told nikkaz this. Different mindset out there.

Do you just do the concessions to push it through if you are Microsoft? Obviously Kotick wants the deal to still happen.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I couldn’t see EA happening for similar reasons. Maybe ubisoft…im thinking MS would rather buy out those Square Enix West studios from Embracer before that though.

EA would be like 40 something billion with a premium attached to it

They might go for those old SE studios but the thing here is MS wants big IPs to serve as cash cows on their sub service.

Only hardcore gamers care about things like the Deus Ex or Hitman IPs. Tomb Raider, maybe. But none of these compare to the IPs Activision, EA, and Ubisoft got.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They might go for those old SE studios but the thing here is MS wants big IPs to serve as cash cows on their sub service.

Only hardcore gamers care about things like the Deus Ex or Hitman IPs. Tomb Raider, maybe. But none of these compare to the IPs Activision, EA, and Ubisoft got.

Yeah, they want the big casual games which is gonna be the roadblock for them acquiring those type of studios. Ubisoft makes sense but they’re tied up in a lot of other investments and they are still not a profit rich company.

EA is the only other company worth spending big bucks on outside of activision. Take-Two also but its really just GTA they would be getting and they wouldn’t be able to put a game that big on gamepass. I don’t even think Strauss would entertain the thought

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, they want the big casual games which is gonna be the roadblock for them acquiring those type of studios. Ubisoft makes sense but they’re tied up in a lot of other investments and they are still not a profit rich company.

EA is the only other company worth spending big bucks on outside of activision. Take-Two also but its really just GTA they would be getting and they wouldn’t be able to put a game that big on gamepass. I don’t even think Strauss would entertain the thought

The only way they're getting a substantial increase in subscription count at this stage is if they make a dramatic move to make a huge IP like COD, FIFA, etc exclusive to their sub service. But thats exactly what makes these acquisitions anticompetitive, because they're buying away the largest share of third party support from their direct competitor. So there's always going to be a roadblock with regulators if MS wants to do a huge acquisition.

And 2K rolls up under Take Two, so its not just GTA over there lol.