NYTimes:Why ‘Transcending Race’ Is a Lie

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/m...-is-a-lie.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Snippets:

"Few American athletes have been as widely beloved as Simpson was. Even today, his popularity seems inconceivable. “O. J.: Made in America,” the ESPN “30 for 30” documentary directed by Ezra Edelman that is airing this week, busies itself with the making of the man at the myth’s center and with the country that helped him become a monster. It’s the best thing ESPN has ever produced. And it answers my question: Simpson’s story is that of a black man who came of age during the civil rights era and spent his entire adult life trying to “transcend race” — to claim that strange accolade bestowed on blacks spanning from Pelé to Prince to Nelson Mandela to Muhammad Ali. Which is to say, it’s the story of a halfback trying, and failing, to outrun his own blackness."

"What Simpson may not have recognized, though, is that the United States’ history is a story of theft, and theft doesn’t require cooperation. Talents you don’t trade can be stolen through your silence, through your absence or after your death. And once you’ve been marked as having “transcended race,” the success you’ve earned in spite of white racism can be twisted into an example of white magnanimity. Muhammad Ali was a menace, a black fighter who engaged in psychological warfare with his opponents, changed his name after joining a black-supremacist sect and gave up the best years of his career in exile rather than killing for a country he decried as racist — yet after his death, the sportscaster Chris Myers could tweet that “When you saw #Ali, you didn’t see color, you didn’t see religion.” Martin Luther King Jr., harassed by the F.B.I. and ultimately assassinated, is now deployed as a symbol of a nation that has achieved colorblindness. Whitney Houston, a black woman who made black music after finding her voice in a black church, was congratulated on transcending race after her death. You can imagine the Barack Obama obituaries to come."

:ehh::jbhmm:

Last edited:

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Thank goodness I have the un-transcender plugin on Chrome.

Changes all instances of "transcended race" to "was retroactively deemed safe by white people". Because that's usually what that phrase means.

Truly a lifesaver :whew:

Kh00Pvy.png

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
"black-supremacist sect" :beli:

EDIT: Its in my first post

I skimmed that part but yea he could have just said the Nation of Islam. I don't think I would completely agree with that description.

I look at the author before reading articles on black related matters, wont take serious if the name looks cacish (ex: pssahksaqsvnowski)
greg-howard-1aaa3bd490ae60eaa5910404dfb972000e2f637e-s300-c85.jpg

Last edited:

The Oracle

Expat
Daps
Reppin
the world
ali was never a "threat" for the very same reason that blacks can't be considered racist.

there is no institutional power behind it.

did ali deny cacs a loan or deny them of a place to stay? did ali ever stop them from getting an education or denying them a job or telling them where they could live or what property they could buy?

did ali ever impact their lives in any way other than maybe to piss a few off verbally?

of course he "transcended race", he never had any impact on their lives in the first place. it's easy to look past someone words when their views have minimal impact if any on your life.

TRY GOD

BOTH SIDES.
Daps
Reppin
GOD
CLIFFS?:why:

NYTIMES? DIDN'T READ THIS shyt, IS THERE CLIIIIIIIIIIFS????:why:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Wow that's some deep shyt. It's time we called mainstream media out on it's bullshyt...

Transcended Race... :mjlol: yeah aight... but let that black dude speak up for himself and fight for his people.

I'm surprised they let him print it. Because of the black supremacist line?