storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Student loans, sure, but what else (significant) can Biden do via executive order that wouldn't either be blocked by the Supreme Court or undone by the next Republican?

I'm legitimately curious. I'd love if he did something on climate change or voting rights (two of my big issues) but it doesn't seem like he has much recourse.

I linked the main Day One Agenda page above which is really useful because it has a lot of content on a gang of the options with deep explanations for how to make things happen and what laws they'd be applying. But that's also hella vague, so here are a couple of examples but it's legit interesting as hell to scroll through and see all the scenarios that have been gamed out and what obscure laws could be applied.

I think this one of interesting because Harris had it in her platform and Biden recently protected his opportunity to apply it. So there's some smoke on it. This is how Biden could reduce prescription prices.
Biden Executive Order Could Finally Lower Drug Prices

A mostly overlooked provision in President Biden’s executive order on economic competition breathes new life into a powerful tool to lower the cost of individual prescription drugs. If it follows through, the Biden administration would be the first to commandeer patents of excessively priced drugs, ensuring they are offered to patients at an affordable price.

The overall executive order could tip the scales on a roiling debate within the Democratic Party over drug prices. The threat of executive action could finally spur legislative initiatives on an issue that perennially sits at the top of voter concerns.

In the waning days of the Trump administration, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) proposed a rule to weaken so-called “march-in rights,” whereby the government can seize patents from drugmakers if the product was developed with government funding, and if it isn’t made “available to the public under reasonable terms.” Those patents could then be distributed to third parties.

The language was passed under the Bayh-Dole Act of 1980, but it’s never been used since then. There’s been over four decades of controversy over whether unaffordably high prices violate the “reasonable terms” clause, meaning that the government could seize patents on high-cost drugs and give them to companies who would offer them to the public at cheaper rates. Even the namesakes, former Sens. Birch Bayh (D-IN) and Bob Dole (R-KS), weighed in, arguing in 2002 that their own legislation does not cover unreasonable prices, a contention critics say is at odds with the statutory language and colored by Bayh and Dole’s service at the time as lobbyists for the pharmaceutical industry.

Bayh and Dole notwithstanding, several 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, including now-Vice President Kamala Harris, highlighted march-in rights in their platforms as an executive action they would take on drug prices. But the NIST rule, conceived just two weeks before Trump left office, would have removed price as a consideration for march-in rights, a long-held wish of the pharmaceutical lobby.

Despite it being a Trump rule, the Biden administration failed to stop its progress during the public comment period, which yielded an extraordinarily large 81,000 comments for such an obscure rulemaking, most of them in opposition. The rule then appeared in the “unified agenda,” a handbook for upcoming regulatory action, in June. “We were a little shaken when we saw it in the unified agenda,” said Steve Knievel, an advocate at Public Citizen’s Access to Medicines program. “After that we have conversations [with the White House] and received indications that it shouldn’t be read too deeply read into.”

Indeed, deep in the executive order released on July 9, Biden directed NIST to “consider not finalizing any provisions on march-in rights and product pricing” in its proposed rule. (Stat News was the first to report the development.) While NIST could theoretically go ahead and finalize the rule, a directive from the president almost certainly alters that scenario.

There's more in the article, but I wanna add at least one more on Climate Change. This one's a bit older, but it pointed out the ways the president could aggressively use processes to address it. I think this one is interesting as a compare and contrast to what's happened so far with Biden and what his options are going forward.

Biden Could Shut Down Oil and Gas Leasing on Federal Lands

When President Trump took control of the U.S. Interior Department, he immediately stuffed the place with industry lobbyists and right-wing ideologues. Douglas Domenech, a fossil fuel advocate and conservative think tank operative, was tasked with leading the transition team and would later become an assistant secretary. Daniel Jorjani, an adviser to the billionaire Koch brothers, became the agency’s top lawyer. David Bernhardt, an oil, gas, and mining lobbyist, was selected as Interior’s number two and eventually ascended to the top job.

Together, these men and their fellow political appointees hacked away at our country’s environmental laws and regulations: stifling climate science, sabotaging government-transparency mandates, subverting key statutes like the Endangered Species Act and the Antiquities Act, and supercharging oil and gas lease sales on federal land across the country. They turned the Interior Department—a sprawling federal agency that manages some 500 million acres of federal property, controls vast reserves of fossil fuels, administers tribal trust lands, conducts scientific research, and more—into the plaything of Big Ag, Big Oil, and other commercial interests.

Had to cut it short for post length limits, but this one's right up your alley fam. Granted, a future Republican can absolutely body a lot of processes, but by taking these swings aggressively with enough time for them to be appreciated by the people; it should be a lot harder to undo this sort of stuff. The big step is getting these started. Fighting to protect it is the next one.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im honestly not convinced Bernie couldve necessarily gotten anything done, i think the corps run our gov too much and bernie couldve signed like eliminating student debt executive order and the colleges would just be like "No"

none of these people followed orders when trump said make masks and vents. gates told biden no on vaccine patent waivers.

the gov is helpless to corps, also I have little faith in bernie having any guts after the way he went out in 2016 and 2020

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
im honestly not convinced Bernie couldve necessarily gotten anything done, i think the corps run our gov too much and bernie couldve signed like eliminating student debt executive order and the colleges would just be like "No"

none of these people followed orders when trump said make masks and vents. gates told biden no on vaccine patent waivers.

the gov is helpless to corps, also I have little faith in bernie having any guts after the way he went out in 2016 and 2020
While I agree with your broader point, Colleges would have absolutely no say in the government writing off the debt student debtors owe to the government. They can't say no because they don't own the debt.