Official Indie/Foreign Film Thread

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
GB3fWFvWAAADYJB.jpg:medium

Another gem from the absurdly stacked year that was 2023. Juliette Binoche lights up the room in every scene she’s in, and I’m convinced Benoît Magimel is a Hugh Jackman variant. Deeply intimate camerawork, on a similar level to ‘Phantom Thread’ but nowhere near as cold. The opposite actually. Felt like a big warm blanket for the most part. As a sucker for scores, the lack of one here disappointed me a bit but also prompted me to key in on those subtle details, either through the characters’ facial expressions or the meticulous manner in which they prepped their food.

It’s an effective romance to me that didn’t need any sex scenes. Rather, the “sex scenes” was the love in cooking and preparing, the love of serving and presentation, and the love of eating and the pleasure one gets from it.

To echo from the other thread: have a snack or something on stand-by because this film will make you hungry, especially during those first 30 minutes. Went in completely blind on this thinking they would prepare the most bland entrées. Nope, some of the dishes here actually slapped and had my mouth watering. I need a slice of that Baked Alaska right about now. :noah:

Also just some really good unintentional ASMR too? Which is the best kind of ASMR to me. Definitely will be running this back again.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
GB3fWFvWAAADYJB.jpg:medium

Another gem from the absurdly stacked year that was 2023.
Good looks breh, this was phenomenal! Pretty much agree with everything you said. The camera choreography is top notch. Watching them dance around the kitchen was beautiful and the camera is an active participant, all the way down to the final shot. You dont get movies like this often... props to everyone involved.

Definitely a romantic classic up there with the Before Trilogy. I've never seen the art of cooking food captured so well. Gonna have your boy saying "its not cooking, its actually called gastronomy" now :troll:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Perfect days was one of my favorite films of the year. It's basically a janitor just going around cleaning all the cool bathrooms in Tokyo. But I'm a clean freak and I loved it. Just about how you find enjoyment in the banality of everyday life.

I also recently caught up with Monster and The Promised Land. And they were both really good.

Seeing the taste of things tomorrow.

2023 might be the deepest year ever

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i liked perfect days a little more, but its in my top 21. between the movies i mentioned here and Fallen Leaves, i've had a really fun catch up . this doesn't even include animated stuff like The Boy and the Heron and The first slam dunk which i cannot find