Official Small Business & Tax Considerations Thread

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
I thought it would be a good idea for those of us who own/are involved with startups and small businesses to have a thread to discuss tax considerations since those considerations are especially important for small companies and individual entrepreneurs. So whether it is insight into what taxes you may be on the hook for, strategies to reduce tax burdens, etc., let this be the thread for it.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
What tax software is everyone using? I made a quick and dirty spreadsheet in Excel myself to estimate my tax liability, but that definitely doesn't beat accurate tax software.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I thought it would be a good idea for those of us who own/are involved with startups and small businesses to have a thread to discuss tax considerations since those considerations are especially important for small companies and individual entrepreneurs. So whether it is insight into what taxes you may be on the hook for, strategies to reduce tax burdens, etc., let this be the thread for it.
I'm aware of the following basic taxes:
  • Federal income tax
  • Self-employment tax
    • Social Security tax (12.4%)
    • Medicare tax (2.9%)
  • State income tax (depending on your state)
What type of retirement account/plan do you recommend opening for self-employed individuals/small business owners?

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
What type of retirement account/plan do you recommend opening for self-employed individuals/small business owners?

I personally haven't thought about that just yet, trying to get some more racks before I start diverting money to retirement. Good question though.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
How does the estimated tax payments situation work?

From what I'm reading, it seems like you have to annualize your quarterly income and pay taxes on that amount. But if your income fluctuates throughout the year, it's hard to do that. Why can't you just calculate your liability at the end of the quarter and pay that amount?

The Don

The Illest
Daps
Reppin
P-Town
Is there any good books/websites out there on tax preparation for an LLC? Write offs, losses, itemized deductions, etc.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Is there any good books/websites out there on tax preparation for an LLC? Write offs, losses, itemized deductions, etc.
51DrYRLbd3L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I use 1800Accountant, it’s been pretty easy to use so far.

Just filed my 1099-misc for a guy I pay with one of these online E-filers today. Got all my expenses categorized. We showed a loss so we’ll see how the tax bill shakes out.

Still kinda new to filing business taxes but it’s been more enjoyable than I thought

Gwoppo

All Star
Daps
I use 1800Accountant, it’s been pretty easy to use so far.

Just filed my 1099-misc for a guy I pay with one of these online E-filers today. Got all my expenses categorized. We showed a loss so we’ll see how the tax bill shakes out.

Still kinda new to filing business taxes but it’s been more enjoyable than I thought
How did things turn out?
What have you learned since then that you wish you knew?
Is their a specific resource you wouldn’t mind passing on (a website, YouTube channel, etc.)