Oldheads How did yall recieve RUN DMC- ROCK BOX?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I mean....I was 8 years old but I liked it. :manny:

Fred.
Pretty much around the same age. My parents are on the younger side so I grew up on a lot of hip hop from the jump especially with them being from NYC.

Side note, RUN DMC gave rap it's "swagger" (for lack of a better word).

Rappers prior to them were running in the same circles as club kids. Which is why cats were dressing like extras from "Max Max".

RUN DMC is when rap started to have it's own aesthetic.

Fred.

Yup.

shyt was just mind blowing. Run DMC was different. Pioneers taking rap in new direction. I Think I first heard on wax but I do remember it was on a free jukebox at our community center and we had it on repeat while playing foosball

Bingo.

They are the KINGS for a reason.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The B Boys were the hip hop aesthetic was my point. RUNDMC might have established the aesthetic to people outside of metro NYC area, but it was already established in this region.

We aren't talking about the same thing though.

I specifically said rap and rappers (performers).

You're talking about hip-hop heads (b-boys) specifically, which I never mentioned.

Fred.

ILLMMORTAL

THE ILLEST
Daps
Reppin
THE MOST OUTTER REACHES OF THE COSMOS

Si my first time hearing this was in GTA VICE CITY and my reaction was :banderas: shyt went hard as fukk and was probably my first exposure to songs with heavy guitar sound that wasn't Carlos Santana.

Cacs on youtube are saying this song blew their mind and a few of them said it made them wanna play guitar.

I know that Run DMC as Ice Cube said brought attitude to the game and were one of the first rappers to really hit mainstream and show rap had staying power and wasn't a gimmick.

I do know that AEROSMITH would be FINISHED if it weren't for Run Dmc no question..they were all junkies by like 1980. RUN DMC gave em a stimulus and their careers soared to bigger heights and that period after RUN DMC is what helped them achieve that Rock Legends/Rock GODS status.

BUT what did yall think of ROCK BOX?

Too much guitars?

Were yall aggy they took a low shot at Michael Jackson?

You should check the dub mix instrumental 12” and the lost verse mix,but that dub mix instrumental:mjlol:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
No. FUNK was huge in their era, so they(earlier rap groups) had urbanized funk outfits when they performed on stage

Rick James, P-Funk, EWF inspired but NYC twist on it.. That was the rap stage aesthetic.

*Caz talks about RUNDMC's rise marking the end of the 1st school era rapper's reigns, and how the stage visuals of groups changed. @ 3 minute mark, he mentions directly what inspired the Cold Crush Brothers stage look after a point.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
This song still hits. I was not even born when it came out but I remember seeing the video and liking it a lot. Run DMC was one of the few rap acts I didn't turn the channel for when I was young.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
WAS RANDOMLY BUMPIN RUN-DMC EARLIER TODAY AND A CAR WIT A LICENSE PLATE THAT SAYS “RUN MDC” PULLS UP IN FRONT OF ME

A FEW WEEKS BACK I WAS BUMPIN THE AFTERMATH COMPILATION WIT @doggy AND A CAR PULLS UP IN FRONT OF US WIT A LICENSE PLATE THAT SAID “MATH 633”

MORAL OF THE STORY, IF U BUMPIN RUN-DMC OR DR DRE IN 2023, U ON THE RIGHT PATH

OH AND RAISING HELL = CLASSIC