One Company’s New Minimum Wage: $70,000 a Year

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
In the end this will benefit him. Might even open some doors of opportunity to help his company flourish even more. I think dude knows what he's doing.
Bu-bu-b-but this country was BUILT on getting millions of dollars as quickly as possible!!!!!!!! DISTRIBUTING THE WEALTH DOESN'T WORK :damn:

:pachaha:

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cows on a farm don't call each other 'cows' because their owners do.
it's a company full of white folks and one gay ass mexican. ain' no cacs giving up his money for black workers. i can understand him having some compassion for his people..

that study doesn't apply to black workers... black workers you know they just lazy and mad all the time in their eyes.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Well, the people getting paid less than $70,000 are going to be enjoying their pay raise.
The problem with this is that you have people currently making $70,000 who have higher qualifications than the lower paid employees. They are going to look at Jim Bo Bob who went through zero college education and has the skills of a monkey all of a sudden get paid the same as the college educated dude who worked his way up with skills, knowledge, hard work, and maybe brown-nosing. He's going to high tail it and look elsewhere. That or employee morale is going to tank. It's human nature for the more veteran employees to be disgruntled to get paid the same as others who have less to offer.

The employee morale backlash could only be prevented if everyone else got a raise too.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Well, the people getting paid less than $70,000 are going to be enjoying their pay raise.
The problem with this is that you have people currently making $70,000 who have higher qualifications than the lower paid employees. They are going to look at Jim Bo Bob who went through zero college education and has the skills of a monkey all of a sudden get paid the same as the college educated dude who worked his way up with skills, knowledge, hard work, and maybe brown-nosing. He's going to high tail it and look elsewhere. That or employee morale is going to tank. It's human nature for the more veteran employees to be disgruntled to get paid the same as others who have less to offer.

The employee morale backlash could only be prevented if everyone else got a raise too.

I never understood this argument. The satisfaction I feel, from the salary I receive, does not depend on how much more I'm getting paid than the janitor. It depends on my work life balance + the stress of my job + the cash leftover after paying all of my expenses.

That's a pretty arrogant assumption. Not only that, but it shows that no matter how much people pretend that we're "all human/all God's children/all in this together," it's all just a lie because it's really a paycheck that validates their place in life: "Oh I can't make only 70k. I have a master's degree and Jim only has a bachelors. I should be getting paid at least 25% more than he is. That's what that commercial said when I was filling out applications."

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:yeshrug: If he wants to overpay employees, that's on him. It doesn't matter that I think it's bad business. Since this isn't forced by the government, I'm :yeshrug:

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never understood this argument. The satisfaction I feel, from the salary I receive, does not depend on how much more I'm getting paid than the janitor. It depends on my work life balance + the stress of my job + the cash leftover after paying all of my expenses.

That's a pretty arrogant assumption. Not only that, but it shows that no matter how much people pretend that we're "all human/all God's children/all in this together," it's all just a lie because it's really a paycheck that validates their place in life: "Oh I can't make only 70k. I have a master's degree and Jim only has a bachelors. I should be getting paid at least 25% more than he is. That's what that commercial said when I was filling out applications."

This right here.

But I feel unit321 is correct in his assumption unfortunately, but I'm basing that on my life experiences, which is fairly baseless.

That's why you don't talk about what you make at the job...

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
IThat's a pretty arrogant assumption. Not only that, but it shows that no matter how much people pretend that we're "all human/all God's children/all in this together," it's all just a lie because it's really a paycheck that validates their place in life: "Oh I can't make only 70k. I have a master's degree and Jim only has a bachelors. I should be getting paid at least 25% more than he is. That's what that commercial said when I was filling out applications."
Well then, you haven't been around.
I worked at this one place where they increased the starting pay for job x. What that did was equal new employees' pay with those who had been with the organization for a couple of years and doing the same job. The organization had an issue with hiring new folks and needed to increase starting pay to draw in more candidates.
There were many upset employees. In this case, it wasn't a difference in education, there was a difference in experience.
It's human nature to want to get rewarded for good work, but to see a new person come in and get paid what you get paid with zero experience ruffled their feathers.