One Year Later, Here's What San Jose Looks Like After Raising the Minimum Wage

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
rep to op

1) Cost at least $600,000 in costs just to enforce the law and cover the increased bureaucracy.

2) Force businesses to slash working hours.

3) Force 30% of employers and 43% of those in charge of hiring minimum-wage workers to lay off employees.

3) Prevent new businesses from opening.

4) Lead to aggressive government overreach, claiming that the city would "investigate financial records of private businesses and individuals" and allow "'private enforcement' lawsuits."

5) Kill jobs left and right and cause hiring freezes.

"Our opponents said it was going to destroy Silicon Valley," said Prof. Scott Myers-Lipton of San Jose State University. But with a 60% majority in favor, Measure D was passed in 2012 and the new wage went into effect on March 11, 2013.
And guess what happened? None of the above.

They didn't really mentioned prices. Went into lee's sandwiches a week after the law went into effect, and the they raise prices from 50 cents to 1 dollar on most menu items. Then they put a put a sign that read "due to cost blah blah we are raising prices". That was pretty much the case at all the Yogurt and Donut Shops too. Any business that was owned by Asians raised prices immediately.

Me personally, I haven't stopped eating Vietnamese Sandwiches or Asian Yogurt because prices went up, and since so many people make over 100K in the Silicon Valley, I don't think many people paid much attention to it.

10 dollars an hour is very low for San Jose. I'd say that, at minimum, someone needs a per capita income of 80K to survive out here.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
They didn't really mentioned prices. Went into lee's sandwiches a week after the law went into effect, and the they raise prices from 50 cents to 1 dollar on most menu items. Then they put a put a sign that read "due to cost blah blah we are raising prices". That was pretty much the case at all the Yogurt and Donut Shops too. Any business that was owned by Asians raised prices immediately.

Me personally, I haven't stopped eating Vietnamese Sandwiches or Asian Yogurt because prices went up, and since so many people make over 100K in the Silicon Valley, I don't think many people paid much attention to it.

10 dollars an hour is very low for San Jose. I'd say that, at minimum, someone needs a per capita income of 80K to survive out here.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
i2ow9u.jpg

*stolen*

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
ok you got it! or you could bring back slavery, sounds fair to me
anyone can play the ad absurdum game

What absurd game? You said society sets the standard. why not set the standard at 40 dollars an hour? Those greedy corporations and rich white people can foot the bill.

While were at it. In the name of fairness, I think we need to do something about all those bytch-ass STEM workers that make 150K+ after 2-4 years experience. Is what they do so much more valuable than what a janitor does? We need minimum and maximum wages. Then we will be a fair and just society.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz

What absurd game? You said society sets the standard. why not set the standard at 40 dollars an hour? Those greedy corporations and rich white people can foot the bill.

While were at it. In the name of fairness, I think we need to do something about all those bytch-ass STEM workers that make 150K+ after 2-4 years experience. Is what they do so much more valuable than what a janitor does? We need minimum and maximum wages. Then we will be a fair and just society.
you are making nonsense arguments. if somebody told a fat -person to watch their calories, saying "well why not just starve myself to death?" is not a sensible response.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
you are making nonsense arguments. if somebody told a fat -person to watch their calories, saying "well why not just starve myself to death?" is not a sensible response.

What? Raising the minimum wage to 40 dollars an hour would help so many families out there. It would help a lot more than 13 dollars an hour. The argument is that raising the minimum wage will be painless. Then just raise it all the way up to 40 dollars a hour.

I've already been told that supply and demand is meaningless and society sets the standard. Then let's come together and set a standard that will make a real impact. We need to shoot for at least 25 dollars an hour but 40 dollars an hour is the sweet spot for the Bay Area at least where the median income it 90k. 40 an our is still short of the median income, so I don't see how this is akin to starving someone to death.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
What? Raising the minimum wage to 40 dollars an hour would help so many families out there. It would help a lot more than 13 dollars an hour. The argument is that raising the minimum wage will be painless. Then just raise it all the way up to 40 dollars a hour.

I've already been told that supply and demand is meaningless and society sets the standard. Then let's come together and set a standard that will make a real impact. We need to shoot for at least 25 dollars an hour but 40 dollars an hour is the sweet spot for the Bay Area at least where the median income it 90k. 40 an our is still short of the median income, so I don't see how this is akin to starving someone to death.
ive already explained why what you are doing is ridiculous. doubling down on it doesnt make it any more right this time. people who want the minimum wage raised acknowledge that you cant just turn a burger flipper into a first round draft pick. the raise increases are modest. they give people a better floor to work their way up from that minimizes their burden on the tax payer. the minimum wage, by definition is not meant to become the maximum wage. people who make half of what you are talking about can survive without being impoverished, so raising the minimum to twice that is retarded. start dealing with reality, the city already did it and is not imploding.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
What? Raising the minimum wage to 40 dollars an hour would help so many families out there.
Slavery would totally reduce the cost of doing business
my model is proven
as far I know you are just speculating
there has never been a $40 minimum wage so you can't know what its outcomes would be
slavery is a well proven method of reducing cost

Last edited: