Opinion: Within 10-15 years, WWE will leave Cable and be pure Network

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Watching Ohio St. losing last night and the Cubs winning the pennant, I had this thought in my head.

WWE will eventually go FULL network, and this isn't on the product itself. This is mainly because of the concept of cord cutting. Within the last few years ESPN has had to fight the NFL/NCAA for programming rights, but what has happen is that many people don't need ESPN to view football or its highlights; so ESPN has released or let people like Skip and Simmons go because the return on investment is so low they are losing money. Even the Cubs who won, they didn't play their game on FOX, but instead FOX Sports 1, another cable venture because the ratings are not as good as they once were.

USA Network is NBC affiliate, and while they get NBC money to support, I think NBC/USA is thinking how much money it has lost by having WWE programming if the ratings are low but they have to pay for exclusivity. I also think at times there is tension tween Vince/HHH about their product where HHH wouldn't have people like the Crissley family on a Wrestling show as a means to promote USA's product. You can knock HHH all you want but its very clear that he prefers a authentic wrestling product, versus Vince's mixing of Entertainment value.

So either when Vince becomes a vegetable or he actually retires, I think HHH will push the product to full Network.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
NBC/USA doesn't lose money because of WWE... Ratings are down but Raw Is one of their highest rated shows. None of their shows can compete with Monday night football because barely any shows can.

WWE will be its own network eventually, that's why they are developing content (original and rehashes) but there just isn't enough wrestling (yet) to support a 24 hour tv channel. Even if they acquire the library of TNA and start showing ROH, PWG, Evolve, etc, there just isn't enough content for 24 hours/ 7 days

Even if they add a show like "Sportscenter" there isn't enough news in wrestling.

Sypress

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
NBC/USA doesn't lose money because of WWE... Ratings are down but Raw Is one of their highest rated shows. None of their shows can compete with Monday night football because barely any shows can.

WWE will be its own network eventually, that's why they are developing content (original and rehashes) but there just isn't enough wrestling (yet) to support a 24 hour tv channel. Even if they acquire the library of TNA and start showing ROH, PWG, Evolve, etc, there just isn't enough content for 24 hours/ 7 days

Even if they add a show like "Sportscenter" there isn't enough news in wrestling.
Raw is their highest rated show but shows like Mr Robot are up there in ratings and doesn't cost them as much as the wwe tv rights

A couple of more shows like this and NBC/USA will have to ask themselves if the WWE is even worth it?

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Vince will be what 86 by that time if he's still kickin, he's usually that far behind the times so timeframe sounds about right.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I don't see Raw and Smackdown leaving cable TV. Even though Raw's ratings aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago, Raw is still one of the highest rated programs on cable and the highest rated on USA. Besides reruns of Modern Family and SVU what else does USA have to offer besides Raw and Mr. Robot?

Plus it would be harder for people who have never watched wrestling to get into it if the only place to watch the WWE is through the network. A lot of people discovered wrestling in the 80s and 90s by just flipping channels one day and they discovered Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, WCW Saturday Night, Raw, etc one day and decided to keep watching.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
I don't see Raw and Smackdown leaving cable TV. Even though Raw's ratings aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago, Raw is still one of the highest rated programs on cable and the highest rated on USA. Besides reruns of Modern Family and SVU what else does USA have to offer besides Raw and Mr. Robot?

Plus it would be harder for people who have never watched wrestling to get into it if the only place to watch the WWE is through the network. A lot of people discovered wrestling in the 80s and 90s by just flipping channels one day and they discovered Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, WCW Saturday Night, Raw, etc one day and decided to keep watching.
Do people still flip thru channels , I swear I haven't done this in years

Probably cuz satalite tv

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I doubt they'll become Network exclusive but If that happens wouldn't they essentially kind of be fukked in a way?
How would they gain new fans?

thats actually a good question that i havent thought of before...

I think they would have to get something on netflix the same way they are already on hulu?

for sure they would need to kick more money into advertising

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
10-15 years, maybe... but I think you're underestimating how important network TV is to attracting NEW fans... the Network could eat for a while off its aging support-base, but unless people are getting put on by their older siblings or parents it'll eventually die with us.

Raw and Smackdown will essentially become adverts for the Network.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Raw is their highest rated show but shows like Mr Robot are up there in ratings and doesn't cost them as much as the wwe tv rights

A couple of more shows like this and NBC/USA will have to ask themselves if the WWE is even worth it?
Mr robot doesn't get near the ratings Raw does.