Oregon The New Base of White Supremacy in America? (West Coast/Pac12 Lawst)

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
https://t.co/fUFtLmsNrJ

Last week, a white supremacist allegedly stabbed two men to death and severely wounded another who tried to intervene as he hurled racial slurs at a black woman and a Muslim woman. Yet one of the most shocking aspects of the incident was where it occurred: Portland, Ore. Many Americans consider the city to be a progressive utopia, to the point of televised parody. The truth is far more complicated.

I went to high school outside Portland, and I encountered more overt white supremacy there than anywhere else. Progressive politics and discrimination are not mutually exclusive. Many classmates who would have described themselves as progressive expressed white supremacist ideals, often in violent terms. Without diversity, overt racism often goes unchecked. And where it goes unchecked, it persists.
:ohhh:

.While Portland is indeed progressive on many political issues, it is still the whitest large city in America — and that’s by design. Before becoming a state in 1859, Oregon passed laws that prohibited slavery but also required all African Americans to leave the territory. It simply wanted no black people. It went so far as to make the “crime” of being black punishable by floggings until the “perpetrator” left. Thus, when Oregon joined the union, it joined not as a free state or a slave state, but as a no-blacks state, the only state to do so.
:francis:

Even as the rest of the country began to extend rights to African Americans after the Civil War, Oregon held fast to its racist origins. When the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870, giving black men the right to vote, Oregon was one of only a few states not to sign on, and refused do so until 1959. While the 14th Amendment was passed in 1868, granting citizenship and equal protection of the law to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States,” Oregon did not ratify it until 1973.

The state left on the books anti-miscegenation and other laws that clearly violated the equal protection clause well into the 20th century. Until 2002 , the Oregon constitution even insisted that “no free Negro, or mulatto . . . shall come, reside, or be within this State, or hold any real estate.”
:hhh:

. As tragic as last week’s murders were, they should shock no one. In a state that sought to exclude black people entirely, and that openly discriminated as long as the Jim Crow South, no one should be surprised that violent, white-supremacist ideologies still flourish. In the 1920s, Oregon had the largest Ku Klux Klan membership per capita of any state; in the 1980s, white nationalists chose Portland as a place to establish themselves in the Northwest; in 1988, a skinhead, egged on by two others, beat Nigerian immigrant Mulugeta Seraw to death with a bat; in 2016, a white supremacist was charged with a hate crime after mowing down a black teenager named Larnell Bruce with his SUV; just two months before this latest attack, ProPublica and BuzzFeed found that Oregon has recently had more documented hate crimes than any other state. A white nationalist rally is still slated to take place just two weeks after this latest double slaying.
:picard:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Yea this white dude at my job constantly fought them neo nazi fags who would drive up from Portland to Seattle to try and start shyt.

And we have the truck drivers who come to the store are from Oregon. 2 of em are proud Trump supporters and one has what he calls a "Hilary rifle" :pachaha:

Both are :mjpls: but try to play it off like they're joking.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Gr lets you know how oregon gets down
green-room.jpg

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
move out i don't care how breh:lupe:
I'm trying but I am in debt from.moving. Have no savings BC I spent it all within the first 6 months of living here. My next stop will probably be Washington. I will not go back home (Virginia)