origin of conflict among Black diaspora

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
People don't often immigrate for fun, but because conditions compel them to. So when they first arrive to USA, they are living in the poor Black sections of the country., their first interactions with Blacks here are with the ones in the struggle..and the immigrant assumes a position in this society that is sometimes beneath what their position was back home.

Maybe in some situations but in some cities like DC, Houston and Atlanta, there is a monied class of Africans that immigrate.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Maybe in some situations but in some cities like DC, Houston and Atlanta, there is a monied class of Africans that immigrate.
what he said is true in most cases. idk about atlanta or houston but even in DC, not all the Africans around aren't rich. I live around Ethiopians now and they own alot of business but they no different than other blacks

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
what he said is true in most cases. idk about atlanta or houston but even in DC, not all the Africans around aren't rich. I live around Ethiopians now and they own alot of business but they no different than other blacks

Huge gap between middle class and abject poverty in the slums with hood nikkas and hoodrats :pachaha:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
..and where do they live when they arrive to these shores?

Up here in the tri-state area they start out in the hood. Most of em I knew start out in low income spots in the Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn, Newark, Philly, and then move to the suburbs once they're more established and heavily networked(have their own businesses like auto shops, food stores, become US-trained doctors, etc)

Maybe down South is differnet since cost of living is cheaper and theres more land but up here in the east coast it's not very common in my experience for upper class Africans to straight immigrate here into a big ass home. And those that do, end up having to start all over again since they have to bring family members here and/or their jobs back home do not necessarily translate into a straight cushy position in the US.

Last edited:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
It was a 'clash of cultures'. When Southern Blacks moved North (or to America from the Carribean/Africa), they encountered 'classes' of Blacks that didn't exist in the South. These 'classes' were actually imitating the traditions of Whites, particularly the middle-/working-classes as they had easiest access to them via working alongside them in the urban areas they immigrated to since they really had no traditions of their own after centuries of enforced slavery and institutional racism.

Read 'The Negro Family in the United States', and, 'Black Bourgeoisie' both from 1939 by E. Franklin Frazier where this issue was brought to light.​

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Having lived in both regions. Non American Blacks migrate to the northeast primarily and practice group economics till this day.

Black Americans practice individualism and chase whatever means of income that could be found. Hence, the reverse migration out off the northeast and west.

Houston, Dallas and the Midwest are becoming more saturated with mostly Africans and some Caribbean people, and it is starting to cause a cultural divide between all Blacks.

The only connection, and thing we really "know" about each other is skin tone, and we are trying to get money and live the life we want to live.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Up here in the tri-state area they start out in the hood. Most of em I knew start out in low income spots in the Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn, Newark, Philly, and then move to the suburbs once they're more established and heavily networked(have their own businesses like auto shops, food stores, become US-trained doctors, etc)

Maybe down South is differnet since cost of living is cheaper and theres more land but up here in the east coast it's not very common in my experience for upper class Africans to straight immigrate here into a big ass home. And those that do, end up having to start all over again since they have to bring family members here and/or their jobs back home do not necessarily translate into a straight cushy position in the US.

Yeah, was waiting for Poitier to truthfully answer the question but wasn't going to hold my breath waiting for it.
I think any immigrant would have hard time picking apart the first post. Even if it's not their personal experience, they know that this is the reality for majority of Black immigrants. The so called "moneyed" immigrants have to swallow their pride and assume a position beneath what they occupied back home.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Having lived in both regions. Non American Blacks migrate to the northeast primarily and practice group economics till this day.

Black Americans practice individualism and chase whatever means of income that could be found. Hence, the reverse migration out off the northeast and west.

Houston, Dallas and the Midwest are becoming more saturated with mostly Africans and some Caribbean people, and it is starting to cause a cultural divide between all Blacks.

The only connection, and thing we really "know" about each other is skin tone, and we are trying to get money and live the life we want to live.

The Black immigrant....finds an ethnic enclave of his own people in these big cities. The houses of worship and the supermarkets/restaurants are the hubs of their communities.
Trust me, during the great migration Southern Blacks did the same things in the northern cities .
They work/shop/worship around people from where they are from first out of necessity then out of habit.