Oscar Buzz: ‘Moonlight’: To Be a Black Gay Man in America

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
I'm starting to think that Coates is a plant. I've NEVER used that term ever but this nikka just rubs me all types of the wrong way:scust:

he has been hitting a number of the white liberal talking points as of late
in the Black Panther thread somebody posted an article where he said that when he was writing about two of Black Panther's female bodyguards having a lesbian relationship he didn't want it to be for the "male gaze"
if that ain't some tumblr white feminist shyt I don't know what is :francis:

I have a copy of his book, Between the World and Me, and I still haven't read it. and the more this dude opens his mouth with this fukkshyt makes it more and more likely I never will

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
I don't give a fukk if it's Gay Shakespeare. Calling it the defining portrait of black male masculinity EVER is both revolting and offensive. Especially in a world where The Birth Of A Nation, about a REAL LIFE black male hero is out.

you know that agenda breh

I mean it's cool to say it's great movie, but talking about it being the best portrait of black masculinity? :martin:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
he has been hitting a number of the white liberal talking points as of late
in the Black Panther thread somebody posted an article where he said that when he was writing about two of Black Panther's female bodyguards having a lesbian relationship he didn't want it to be for the "male gaze"
if that ain't some tumblr white feminist shyt I don't know what is :francis:

I have a copy of his book, Between the World and Me, and I still haven't read it. and the more this dude opens his mouth with this fukkshyt makes it more and more likely I never will
you should read it, its really good. very well written in the perspective that its not too overly wordy or preachy. is straight to the point throughout

now if he is starting a heel turn :whoa: i havent kept up to date with him to know whether he has been acting funny style lately

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I saw something about this, but after seeing the trailer, I wouldn't mind giving it a watch.

My personal feelings about homosexuality aside, it looks like a good story :yeshrug:

I just hope they don't have one-dimensional straight black characters (male and female) on the gay attack for the whole film. Mahershala Ali looks like a promising character that might have some depth but we'll see

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I always think this place is a lot more progressive than what it actually is. And I consider you all family so it's always interesting tho.

Anyway @Dr. Narcisse I prob won't make the screening. D.C. traffic plus the evening commute plus the time I get off work is going to mean I'd need a time traveling Delorean

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I always think this place is a lot more progressive than what it actually is. And I consider you all family so it's always interesting tho.

Anyway @Dr. Narcisse I prob won't make the screening. D.C. traffic plus the evening commute plus the time I get off work is going to mean I'd need a time traveling Delorean
:beli: supposed to keep up the streak of a Coli breh seeing the movie before it drops.

I think it is progressive, but people were just thrown off by what Coates said.

I think we all hope its a great movie. :yeshrug:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
:beli: supposed to keep up the streak of a Coli breh seeing the movie before it drops.

Indeed.

I haven't seen the film yet, but even if you remove the LGBT factor in it, the angle from which Moonlight goes about addressing its themes isn't necessarily unique, imho.

Again, I haven't seen the movie and I'm basing this strictly on the trailer, so I def could be off on my initial observation.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Sidenote: Haven't seen anything from Coates about Birth of a Nation yet..

I doubt he'll comment publicly about it anytime soon, even if he saw it. Coates rolls with a lot of those feminists and blerds who had beef with Nate Parker and the film.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Homie this place is hardly progressive as someone pointed out to me a year or two ago. We are when it comes to race which is great but when it comes to women and sexual orientation it's like the Stone Age. I'm not saying it's wrong because everyone is entitled to their opinion and feminism and sexual orientation are hot topics that we all won't agree on but this place gets very very conservative when those topics are brought up. Not everyone but just in general. When this guy killed his baby's mother and his baby no less than 15 min from my house, there were people in the thread actually sticking up for the dude and saying maybe he had a point.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Homie this place is hardly progressive as someone pointed out to me a year or two ago. We are when it comes to race which is great but when it comes to women and sexual orientation it's like the Stone Age. I'm not saying it's wrong because everyone is entitled to their opinion and feminism and sexual orientation are hot topics that we all won't agree on but this place gets very very conservative when those topics are brought up. Not everyone but just in general. When this guy killed his baby's mother and his baby no less than 15 min from my house, there were people in the thread actually sticking up for the dude and saying maybe he had a point.

:wtf::mindblown: