Paul: African-American leaders may not yet embrace GOP

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Paul: African-American leaders may not yet embrace GOP

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/rand-paul-african-americans-111975.html#ixzz3GQncPApM

Sen. Rand Paul tells POLITICO that the Republican presidential candidate in 2016 could capture one-third or more of the African-American vote by pushing criminal-justice reform, school choice and economic empowerment.

“If Republicans have a clue and do this and go out and ask every African-American for their vote, I think we can transform an election in one cycle,” the Kentucky Republican said in a phone interview Thursday as he was driven through New Hampshire in a rental car.

Paul — on the cover of the new issue of Time as “The Most Interesting Man in Politics” — met with black leaders in Ferguson, Missouri, last week; opened a “GOP engagement office” in an African-American area of Louisville in June; and spoke the next month to a National Urban League convention in Cincinnati.

(Also on POLITICO: Rand Paul meets with black leaders in Ferguson)

“That doesn’t mean that we get to a majority of African-American votes in one cycle,” Paul continued, speaking between campaign stops in Plymouth and Salem. “But I think there is fully a third of the African-American vote that is open to much of the message, because much of what the Democrats has offered hasn’t worked.”

Exit polls showed the GOP’s share of the African-American vote in the past six presidential elections ranged from 4 percent for John McCain in 2008 to 12 percent for Bob Dole in 1996, according to the Roper Center. Mitt Romney got 6 percent in 2012.

When pressed on his ambitious goal, Paul upped the ante: “I don’t want to limit it to that. I don’t want to say there’s only a third open. … The reason I use the number ‘a third,’ is that when you do surveys of African-American voters, a third of them are conservative on a preponderance of the issues. So, there is upside potential.”

“As I travel and I go and meet with African-American leaders — they may not be ready to embrace a Republican yet,” Paul added. “But they say that they’re very happy that we’re competing for their vote. And they often tell me, ‘You know what? I haven’t seen my Democrat representative in a while.’”

(VIDEO: CDC chief: 'Porous' borders in Africa would undermine travel ban)

Paul said that if Republicans win the Senate majority next month and his fellow Kentucky senator, Mitch McConnell, becomes majority leader, the Senate should quickly pass a flurry of bills to put Obama on the spot.

“I see that actually things will get done,” Paul said. “I take McConnell at his word that he will allow amendments from the other side, because that’s how you pass legislation. … I think primary among our voters is they want to undo the worst aspects [of], if not the whole, Obamacare. … There’s quite a bit that was wrong and really, frankly, unconstitutional with Dodd-Frank that I think can be corrected, as well. …

“I think also we’ll pass immigration reform. I think that’s one of the things that’s going to be huge in 2016: Republicans will pass immigration reform, where Democrats never could because of their intransigence, because they wanted everything or nothing.”

Asked what Republicans could pass that Obama would sign, Paul said there are “a lot of bipartisan criminal justice bills that could pass.” Then, in a final dig, Paul quipped: “I think he’ll sign also removing some of the worst parts of Obamacare, as well. But I think we’ll send him also repeal and see how he does on that, as well.”

(QUIZ: Do you know Rand Paul?)

Pounding a message he has delivered in interview after interview, Paul said President Barack Obama and his administration have “underplayed the danger and transmissibility” of the Ebola virus and have had a “bossy, arrogant attitude.”

“Because they haven’t been really forthright about the disease, people suspect their leadership, their motives,” Paul said. “They … don’t feel like they’re being told the truth about this. … Because they so much don’t want to alarm people, I think they’ve … undersold the danger of this thing. … When you read their description [of how it is transmitted], it makes me think that they’re talking about AIDS.”

“So, they’ve made it sound like something it really isn’t,” the senator continued. “I mean, people in full gown and full regalia are getting this. … It hasn’t been fair to the health care workers. And I think it’s mostly, ‘Hey, we want to make sure that nobody thinks this is a big deal.’”

Paul attributed the administration’s approach partly to “political correctness, … trying to do what’s conventional without ruffling feathers. … They want everybody to be calm and not think this is too big a deal. And so, they wanted to underplay this.”

“A month ago, I said that we should consider restricting commercial travel and visas to our country from West Africa,” Paul said.

“We should consider rescheduling international conclaves that include bringing leaders from West Africa until the contagion dies down. … Think about what happens if this gets into Third World countries in the Southern Hemisphere, it gets into countries that have no ability to stop this, how it could become a contagion in those countries.”

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
10268426_10152614319269255_693529504805814103_n.png

Always fighting for the working man!

:jawalrus:

mc_brew

#NotMyPresident
Daps
Reppin
the black cat is my crown...
i like what paul is doing here... i hope he does push the gop to campaign for the black vote... we're not going to get anywhere politically if our vote is taken for granted.... if the dems ever felt 1/3 of the black vote was at risk they'd get real nice and cozy with us... the gop has to offer something that helps education, wealth creation, and entrepreneurship in the black community.... i may not be enticed enough by paul to vote for him, but he might be creating the right waves here....

@DEAD7 - why isn't this a thread created by you? ... you're our resident paulite....

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
To be fair, Republicans would be much more successful with the black vote if they were to: 1. call out/extricate the overtly-racist politicians in their party, 2. address issues such as welfare and inequality in the criminal justice system, 3. push economic initiatives to foster entrepreneurship/black-owned businesses in the black community, 4. cease spending their energy catering to the needs of illegal immigrants (for the benefit of businesses seeking to get cheap labor).

In the 40s, 50s, and 60s, the black family unit operated under traditional values and a blue-collar work ethic. Although the typical black family was not wealthy, the family was intact and self-sustaining. Fast forward to today and we see what free-wheeling liberalism got the black community. Government benefits/entitlements to replace the need for work ethic and values.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
African-Americans need to form an independent political alternative instead of relying on the Democrats or the Republicans. Use the independent political alternative to build power in African-American communities and exert pressure on the parties to meet demands.

Be on that Chokwe Lumumba grind, brehs. :jawalrus:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I won't be voting GOP any time soon, but I can't really say that them competing for the black vote would be a bad thing. If anything maybe it'd motivate Dems to address black issues.

But I can't see a large percentage of black people voting Republican in the near future. There are just too many overt racists in the GOP that the GOP pretends don't exist. And I don't think black voters will forget all of the blatant disrespect towards Obama over the course of his term. Or which side the conservative talking-heads always take in Trayvon Martin/Mike brown type of situations.

If you go onto any conservative/right-wing message board it's going to pretty much full of black people-bashing, and this doesn't go unnoticed.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
i like what paul is doing here... i hope he does push the gop to campaign for the black vote... we're not going to get anywhere politically if our vote is taken for granted.... if the dems ever felt 1/3 of the black vote was at risk they'd get real nice and cozy with us... the gop has to offer something that helps education, wealth creation, and entrepreneurship in the black community.... i may not be enticed enough by paul to vote for him, but he might be creating the right waves here....

@DEAD7 - why isn't this a thread created by you? ... you're our resident paulite....
Except this b*stard and his Grand Wizard father hated negroes up until 6 months ago

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I won't be voting GOP any time soon, but I can't really say that them competing for the black vote would be a bad thing. If anything maybe it'd motivate Dems to address black issues.

But I can't see a large percentage of black people voting Republican in the near future. There are just too many overt racists in the GOP that the GOP pretends don't exist. And I don't think black voters will forget all of the blatant disrespect towards Obama over the course of his term.
Sure...but Paul is someone who instantly can't be trusted.

mc_brew

#NotMyPresident
Daps
Reppin
Except this b*stard and his Grand Wizard father hated negroes up until 6 months ago
all he's doing is pandering, no doubt... however, if he pushes the gop to actual campaign for black votes it could be very advantageous for us....

To be fair, Republicans would be much more successful with the black vote if they were to: 1. call out/extricate the overtly-racist politicians in their party, 2. address issues such as welfare and inequality in the criminal justice system, 3. push economic initiatives to foster entrepreneurship/black-owned businesses in the black community, 4. cease spending their energy catering to the needs of illegal immigrants (for the benefit of businesses seeking to get cheap labor).
i couldn't dap your post because of the last paragraph, but this here i agree with 100%...

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
all he's doing is pandering, no doubt... however, if he pushes the gop to actual campaign for black votes it could be very advantageous for us....

i couldn't dap your post because of the last paragraph, but this here i agree with 100%...

We can agree to disagree but I'm interested in your opinion concerning my last paragraph. But I do think the black family unit operated much better in the 40s, 50s, 60s than it is currently.

mc_brew

#NotMyPresident
Daps
Reppin
We can agree to disagree but I'm interested in your opinion concerning my last paragraph. But I do think the black family unit operated much better in the 40s, 50s, 60s than it is currently.
i think it's a cheap talking point... welfare wasn't something passed solely for black people... white people are eligible for welfare just like black people are... in fact, there are more whites on welfare... so my question would be, why did welfare destroy the black community but it didn't destroy the white community... welfare is a symptom, an easy one to attack... few people have the heart to go at the root...

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
i think it's a cheap talking point... welfare wasn't something passed solely for black people... white people are eligible for welfare just like black people are... in fact, there are more whites on welfare... so my question would be, why did welfare destroy the black community but it didn't destroy the white community... welfare is a symptom, an easy one to attack... few people have the heart to go at the root...

Valid point. Welfare was initially created for stay-at-home mothers whose husbands were away at war.

Welfare destroyed the black community because, when combined with other factors, it instilled a sense of dependency on the government in black people. Black families receiving welfare, which are predominantly headed by black women, lack an incentive to apply themselves fully and make strides from an economic viewpoint. The fact that plenty of black families receive income for doing nothing but having kids and living below the poverty line indicates a sense of complacency among blacks. That has been demonstrated by lack of social/economic/academic gains.

On the other hand, the majority of whites on welfare were white women. White women on welfare eventually became less dependent on welfare once feminism/affirmative took full flight. Hence, as soon as doors started opening for white women professionally/academically, the majority of them got off welfare.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
precisely... and it's those "other factors" i want addressed... if we address them there wouldn't be so much welfare in the black community....

And that's fine. But you wouldn't be able to discuss other factors without discussing welfare either.

Welfare deserves to be singled out for the fact that the condition of black people in this country isn't going to change without major strides being made economically. Black families will be forced to make big-time economic strides if welfare is reformed. It would be sink or swim.