Paul Pierce, on why the Celtics Big 3 worked instantly compared to other Superteams

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
This is a lie though, 04 Lakers worked instantly and started 27-4

Heat took some time to click in the regular season but still made the finals and lost in six games

KD on the Warriors clicked right away

People are too young to remember but even the 1997 Rockets worked out the gate. They started the season 21-2.

It's just that Barkley was always injured, went on to miss 30 games that season... Clyde missed like 20. These guys got together with Hakeem at 33, 34, and 34 in year 1. Whereas KG, Pierce and Allen were 31, 30, and 32.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
KG played in 2010 Finals. Please remind me who won that series, kind sir :sas1:

They were two evenly matched teams tbh.

I didn't used to think this in real time but retroactively, Bynum alongside Gasol created a massive matchup problem for Boston that we saw in 2010... and Bynum was injured in 2008.

Great as Boston's start was in 2009 (27-2 with a 19 game win streak), it was the Lakers who snapped that streak on Xmas, and beat them again couple months later on the road in Boston. All prior to KG's injury. Lakers won 65 games that year as well.

If both teams were healthy all 3 of those years, it's probably 50/50 each time.

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Maybe because they were all playing their natural positions in an actual offense. Kg said in 08 it works because you have a 2, 3 and 4. Its not rocket science.

Last edited:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They were two evenly matched teams tbh.

I didn't used to think this in real time but retroactively, Bynum alongside Gasol created a massive matchup problem for Boston that we saw in 2010... and Bynum was injured in 2008.

Great as Boston's start was in 2009 (27-2 with a 19 game win streak), it was the Lakers who snapped that streak on Xmas, and beat them again couple months later on the road in Boston. All prior to KG's injury. Lakers won 65 games that year as well.

If both teams were healthy all 3 of those years, it's probably 50/50 each time.

Yep. Just the threat of having three guys out there that were 7 feet (Bynum, Gasol, Odom) presented problems for Boston even if it was only Gasol that was really scoring.

LeBron's Lakers did the same thing 10 years later having McGee, Howard and AD. IDK what possessed them to get rid of those guys.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
KG played in 2010 Finals. Please remind me who won that series, kind sir :sas1:
I remember that Finals not getting much buzz because of the attention being placed on "The Decision".

Most fans were like "Let's get this over with so we can find out where Lebron is going"

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
I knew it was gonna work from the jump.

A sniper that can also put the ball on the floor and get to the rim.

A clutch 3 who can score at all 3 levels

A big who can step out to 20 feet, could score in the post, and defend the post and out on the perimeter.

Add in the 4th player who was a floor General who didn't even have to look at the rim and was also a good defender

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Yep. Just the threat of having three guys out there that were 7 feet (Bynum, Gasol, Odom) presented problems for Boston even if it was only Gasol that was really scoring.

LeBron's Lakers did the same thing 10 years later having McGee, Howard and AD. IDK what possessed them to get rid of those guys.

Pau and Odom were there in 2008, and what happened then? Celtics still dominated them
You said it yourself, Bynum's "presence" was more of a factor than him actually being effective against the Celtics. And I know he's thought of as a clown now, but Big Baby Davis for the Celtics was coming into his own in the 2010 playoffs and added to the big lineup of KG and Perk. Big Baby did great defending Dwight Howard in the EFC and Bynum/Gasol in the Finals. Part of the reason why Celtics fans were mad at Doc Rivers for benching him in Game 7 when they were up 13 going into the 4th quarter

Stop with these fairytales lol

hitmonlee

All Star
Daps

10:45

Colin: "Why did it work in Boston so well?"

Pierce:
- "To be honest, we were old and desperate haha"
- "All of us been to the All Star games, scoring records, had money, KG won an MVP already, etc... We told ourselves we don't got alot of time left"
- "We took a ride on the Duck boat before the season started. Doc Rivers laid it out for us. He said we gotta win it the 1st year"
- "KG asked what do you think our window is. Doc said a 3 year window, cause ya'll are old as hell haha"
- "Thank God we won it the 1st year, because the next year KG got hurt and lost in the 2010 Finals. If we would have formed together 4-5 years earlier, we would have been a dynasty"
- "Me and KG already had a relationship since High School. And KG knew Ray prior to the NBA. When the trade happened, we talked on the phone damn near everyday gaining chemistry and how we would play on the floor. Right out the gate"

This the first regular season game they played together

The chemistry that team had DAY ONE was unbelievable. It's like they played together for 10 years prior to 2007 :banderas:

the washington wizards lineup is more intriguing in this video

arenas, stevenson, buter, jamison

Toussaint

Struggle, challenge, and rise to struggle again
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Their specialities were different things and the roll players were all dogs. Even then it’s not like they rampaged though the East. Bulls and Cavs took them 7 in the playoffs in 08.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pau and Odom were there in 2008, and what happened then? Celtics still dominated them
You said it yourself, Bynum's "presence" was more of a factor than him actually being effective against the Celtics. And I know he's thought of as a clown now, but Big Baby Davis for the Celtics was coming into his own in the 2010 playoffs and added to the big lineup of KG and Perk. Big Baby did great defending Dwight Howard in the EFC and Bynum/Gasol in the Finals. Part of the reason why Celtics fans were mad at Doc Rivers for benching him in Game 7 when they were up 13 going into the 4th quarter

Stop with these fairytales lol

You sound mad. What happened was Pau wasn’t ready in 2008. He got bullied and punked in the paint by Boston. Boston won fair and square. Now next year, the Lakers built confidence beating Orlando and we knew what we needed to do to deal with y’all bullsh*t. Pau wasn’t scared anymore and he gave Kobe the help he needed. End of story. Stay mad :umad:

And Bynum averaged like 6 or 8 points. Something pitiful like that. So like I said, his presence, his being out there was his best attribute. Pau manning up was the difference.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
You sound mad. What happened was Pau wasn’t ready in 2008. He got bullied and punked in the paint by Boston. Boston won fair and square. Now next year, the Lakers built confidence beating Orlando and we knew what we needed to do to deal with y’all bullsh*t. Pau wasn’t scared anymore and he gave Kobe the help he needed. End of story. Stay mad :umad:

And Bynum averaged like 6 or 8 points. Something pitiful like that. So like I said, his presence, his being out there was his best attribute. Pau manning up was the difference.

Excuses excuses lol

In 2010 Bynum's "presence" meant nothing as Big Baby was more of a factor for the Celtics in than Bynum was. Celtics were up 3-2, up by 10+ heading into the 4th in game 7, and ya'll needed a Perkins injury to squeek out a win. With the refs giving you a 37 vs 17 free throw attempt advantage at that. Again, stop the fairytales lol