People Are Upset M.I.A Is Headlining Afropunk London Because Of Her “Anti-Black” Comments

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
On Wednesday Afropunk announced the date for its London event – the first time it has been staged in the UK – with hip hop artist M.I.A as a headline act.
sub-buzz-13749-1466177876-1.png

Afropunk

The festival, which launched in the US 13 years ago, describes itself as being about “education, political awareness and self-empowerment”.

“Respect, breaking down stereotypes, and celebrating individuality are key to the AFROPUNK ethos, and it’s a ‘safe space / no hate’ zone for creativity,” a press release states.

“London’s first edition will welcome souls from all cultures and backgrounds for a day of positive energy and next-level entertainment,” it added.

The festival was something many music lovers had been waiting for.
sub-buzz-16882-1466182761-1.png

But some fans were not pleased as M.I.A, real name Mathangi ‘Maya’ Arulpragasam, had recently made comments many said were “anti-black” and “disrespected” the Black Lives Matter movement.
The comments were made during an interview with the Evening Standard in April, in which the rapper complained that Black Lives Matter is the only problem discussed in the US.

M.I.A., a Tamil human rights activist, also called on celebrities, such as Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar, to highlight the plight of other marginalised groups, such as Syrians.

“Is Beyoncé or Kendrick Lamar going to say Muslim Lives Matter? Or Syrian Lives Matter? Or this kid in Pakistan matters? That’s a more interesting question,” she said.

“And you cannot ask it on a song that’s on Apple, you cannot ask it on an American TV programme, you cannot create that tag on Twitter, Michelle Obama is not going to hump you back,” she added.

After the backlash over her comments, M.I.A, whose ‘Paper Planes’ hit was sampled by Kanye West and Lil Wayne, stood by her position in this tweet:
sub-buzz-27680-1466176968-13.png

Twitter

Following Afropunk’s decision to make M.I.A their headliner, people have called for her to be removed from the lineup, with some even considering starting a petition after feeling “let down and confused”.
sub-buzz-12273-1466178674-8.png

Some people predicted a boycott of the event.

Afropunk London organisers declined to comment when approached by BuzzFeed News over the reaction to M.I.A’s inclusion.

Tobi Oredein, the editor of black British London-based magazine Black Ballad, said MIA shouldn’t be performing at the Afropunk festival in a comment piece published on Wednesday.
“…When you play by the rules of getting paid to be at a festival that celebrates black culture, after having purposely disrespected black struggles, we need to have a serious conversation,” she said.

Oredein also told BuzzFeed News that Afropunk’s lack of response feels as though organisers “do not see the concerns of its UK fans as a priority”.

“I hope that’s not the case,” she said. “But people are outraged by the decision, so at the very least, Afropunk could respond and explain why MIA is a suitable choice.”

Speaking to BuzzFeed News, a spokesperson for Afropunk London said: “AFROPUNK team will address questions in their own way, in their own time.”

BuzzFeed News also understands that organisers are “very upset” by the public’s reaction.

People Are Upset M.I.A Is Headlining Afropunk Over "Anti-Black" Comments

These hotep nikkaz genuinely don't know when to give it a rest and read what was actually said.

"Anti Black" :mjlol:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anti-black:rocky:That isnt anti black. Its goddamn evidence she is missing the point (to say that black lives matter, not that others dont). Nobody is stopping her from doing the muslimlivesmatter and whatnot. She has a platform. Are Kendrick and Beyonce muslim? Even if they were, why are they responsible for an issue that is clearly more important to you?

Man, folks always interjecting dumb shyt into simple situations. Do it your damn self.:justgodude:

Btw, the concentration of alt black women:letyasoulglow:Gotta be hell for a nerds heart:blacknerdlost:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Eh.

I think MIA has been around enough that she's earned the benefit of the doubt.

If she wanted to highlight the problems Muslims have around the world, she probably could have found a better way to express her point.

But this is an era where keyboard activists pounce the second someone says something they don't like. And right away you're deemed a racist or misogynist or whatever.

I hope she didn't intentionally set out to discredit BLM because if she did, she does deserve a lot of shyt for it.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eh.

If she wanted to highlight the problems Muslims have around the world, she probably could have found a better way to express her point.

But this is an era where keyboard activists pounce the second someone says something they don't like. And right away you're deemed a racist or misogynist or whatever.

I hope she didn't intentionally set out to discredit BLM because if she did, she does deserve a lot of shyt for it.

When you play by the rules of getting paid to be at a festival that celebrates black culture, after having purposely disrespected black struggles, we need to have a serious conversation

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wtf is afro punk and wtf is black ballad

Black guy reporting live from London

It's a music festival they have in Brooklyn every summer. It's basically a celebration of black culture in all forms. There's black punk rockers, hoteps, goth kids, preppy types, hood dudes, ratchets and everything you can imagine. I've gone the last few years and it's great. It's always peaceful and no one's judging anyone no matter how weird they appear.

Eh.

Bottom line is she shouldn't be there.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah fukk that bytch she wants jay z and Beyoncé to say to say Syrian lives matter but what has she done for black people?
M.I.A.: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars

M.I.A. is a British rapper.

M.I.A. has visited Liberia several times.

She revisited Liberia in 2006 to meet the President of Liberia Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf and war-affected people there including ex-child soldiers. She also featured in a “4Real” TV-Series documentary on the post war situation in the country with activist Kimmie Weeks.

She is currently behind a school-building campaign in Liberia.

:sas1: