People Treat Me Differently When I'm Dressed Professionally.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Cliff Notes - When I'm dressed professionally, people of all color, even white men and women, acknowledge and treat me with respect. It has even granted me a few privileges I feel I wouldn't have otherwise received if not for the way I carry myself.

I'm 27 and just recently started back school (2 more years to go) and I dress professionally daily. Nothing fancy, a button down or polo, slacks, bow tie or regular neck tie. Sometimes I'll throw on a blazer or vest. But I've noticed something. People tend to acknowledge/respect your more when you carry yourself in this manner. I know this is no shocking fact, but it was an interesting experiment being at a PWI.

Was walking to class one day and one breh just randomly gave me the "wassup" head nod. But we do that all that time so no big deal.

Another day, I was walking and another breh smiled and gave me a head nod followed by a "good morning". Peculiar.:obama:

If you've ever attended a university, you know student drivers are rude because everybody is trying to rush to get to where they are going. But every time I'm about to cross the street, they stop and allow me to cross.:jawalrus:
They never do that for any other students.

Had a cute girl smile at me when we made eye contact as we were walking toward one another.:ehh:

When I get on the campus bus and it's full, I see people shifting their purses or bags to allow me to sit down.:win:
I noticed they really don't do that when some other random person gets on. They just have to stand up during the bus ride until a seat becomes available.

My Professor knows me by name and struggles with other students name.

Was at the store today and an old white lady stopped and asked me was I the manager. Then at the same store, this other white lady randomly started a convo with me as I was about coupons or something. Also the white lady who was in front of me told the cashier to put her 10% off on my purchase. :ohhh:
White women never talk to me. Never. I was intrigued.

White boys on campus randomly give me the nod when walking passed me.

These two older white women on campus (probably alumni) were power walking and they both smiled and spoke to me. I watched them walk passed other students and they only spoke to one other girl.

Plus all the stares and smiles I get from women on campus. Even some drivers in cars would nod at me if we make eye contact as I'm walking.

:yeshrug: Not saying I'ma big shot or anything, just a very interesting observation.

I know some of these could be random coincidences but it happens every day in some form or fashion.
People treat you much better when you consistently dress like you are about your business. I know black women acknowledge you more in this case but I was surprised by the response I get from white people too. Any one else have these experiences?

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
The working class black male is the most despised species on the planet.
Your wear dressed in attire that was the direct opposite of that.:yeshrug:

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
It works both ways

You see this and u might refrain from trying to holler even if she's cute cuz u know off top what it is

W1siZiIsIjIwMTcvMDUvMTEvN3ZxM2d6azJvZV9UaGlua3N0b2NrUGhvdG9zXzQ2OTEwOTM2NS5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIjEyNDB4NjQwIyJdXQ

But if u see this...U gonna go in your head and think of an ice breaker involving being a dog lover

img_7357.png

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Actually hold up :mjgrin:

Was walking to class one day and one breh just randomly gave me the "wassup" head nod. But we do that all that time so no big deal.

Another day, I was walking and another breh smiled and gave me a head nod followed by a "good morning". Peculiar.:obama:

Had a cute girl smile at me when we made eye contact as we were walking toward one another.:ehh:

Was at the store today and an old white lady stopped and asked me was I the manager. Then at the same store, this other white lady randomly started a convo with me as I was about coupons or something. Also the white lady who was in front of me told the cashier to put her 10% off on my purchase. :ohhh:
White women never talk to me. Never. I was intrigued.

White boys on campus randomly give me the nod when walking passed me.

These two older white women on campus (probably alumni) were power walking and they both smiled and spoke to me. I watched them walk passed other students and they only spoke to one other girl.

Plus all the stares and smiles I get from women on campus. Even some drivers in cars would nod at me if we make eye contact as I'm walking.

....you had to suit up to get all this to happen to you? Aiight then :heh:

I mean....do what you can if it don't come natural
full

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
I will never wear a tie unless I have to. Sports blazers only for the occasion

But I'm on that button up game. I keep it casual. Chinos, sometimes oxfords shoes with it. No tuck in unless it absolutely works or it's the occasion

I prefer the sweater with the oxford shirt under it. Then I can do whatever when it comes to pants

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cant argue against anything on here. i carried out a similar experiment a while back. lol it was eye opening. mama was right. stop wearing these bum ass/casual clothes.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will never wear a tie unless I have to. Sports blazers only for the occasion

But I'm on that button up game. I keep it casual. Chinos, sometimes oxfords with it. No tuck in unless it absolutely works or it's the occasion
ive never seen tuckins look good on anyone except for one white guy who must have had everything tailor fit. everyone else with a tuckin looks ridiculous.