People who change their voice when speaking to white people

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
Have ya'll ever seen this before? it's a weird thing.

I have this co worker. who talks in a normal way (not steortypical) when he's talking to me or other black peers.

but every time he's in a convo with a white people he changes in the following ways:

1. the tone of his voice gets higher (almost feminine)
2. he talks in kind of happy go lucky sounding way. ie "There you go Dave!" "The Cubs were a great team Dave!" "That's not good Dave"
3. he says their name after everything he says.
4. he has an obviously fake laugh after anything they say. even if it's not supposed to be funny.

5. The most annoying: i'll be sitting in the vicinity working on something (having nothing to do with the convo). and he'll go "is that right Justise?" I always ignore him when he does that.

what's the deal :mindblown:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I do it all the time. Speak "proper" English and put the double negatives on hold. They aren't my friends so I'm not going to speak like I'm comfortable around them.

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
@blankposter definitely does this shyt. I noticed he changes the language and tone of his posts based on the topic.

Dude is always switching up his delivery because he caters to the crowd. I'm sure he doesn't even recognize it anymore.

It's a survival tactic. My work buddy and I are always making fun of stupid people sound when they do this. Anyone with half a brain knows it's fake. It's actually insulting to one's intelligent to lie to someone's face.

I know when people are using language they're not comfortable with because they use awkwardly.

It's really embarrassing to me when black people come into my job and act and attempt to speak like yuppies.

lol you can order as much kale as you want we know you're not a yuppie as soon as you say quinoa or ask for ranch.

The people we like the most just speak to us like they're comfortable with us. I'm comfortable in my own skin so I use the same language and tone with everyone. excluding shy children.

I ask what words mean and how to say them everyday. That's why I know so many. Everyone has an accent and you shouldn't be ashamed of where you come from. Again, code switching is lying.

Last edited:

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
I do it all the time. Speak "proper" English and put the double negatives on hold. They aren't my friends so I'm not going to speak like I'm comfortable around them.

I understand that. but people like the person I describe take it further than that. He acts different. it's like he's imitating something he's seen on TV

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I understand that. but people like the person I describe take it further than that. He acts different. it's like he's imitating something he's seen on TV
He probably is and that's not a bad thing, imo. Again, there are people you just don't get comfortable with so you put on a facade. It's no different than whites who try to be "down" around blacks, knowing damn well that's no who they are.