Politics of black hair.......instilling shame in young minds.

frankster

Rookie
Daps
Will Michelle Obama ever wear a Afro whilst in the white house?

I’m sure you’ve come across the warning not to touch Black women’s hair before. But do you really understand why it’s so important to keep your hands out of our tresses?

This is a super common racial microaggression, which is a subtle form of racism often done by someone who doesn’t mean to be racist. I’ve had lots of people (usually white people) touch my hair, and in most cases, the touch came with a well-meaning compliment.

But you probably don’t know what the temptation to touch Black women’s hair means in US society – or about the impact if you follow your urge.
These Top 8 Justifications for Touching Black Women’s Hair Are Racist and Sexist

I eventually learned early that this "denial" look was the ideal for black girls and women, and though I had to do less denying than most, I was not exempt. I also learned that good hair on black people was considered good for reasons much deeper than convenience -- it connoted assimilation, sophistication, intelligence, refinement, success. Even when I jettisoned the whole hair ritual and got a short, punky cut, I did it more to reject the limitations of an old paradigm than to celebrate a new one.
I might have saved my protest. Denial is still at the core of black hair fashion, which in turn is at the still-unstable core of black identity and acceptability in the United States in 2006. Although braids, dreadlocks and other natural black hairstyles have become more visible, perms, weaves and extensions for black women have become ubiquitous.

In short, the debate about the best choices for "black hair," always charged, is flaring up again. A Louisiana sheriff said last week that anyone on the streets in dreadlocks "can expect to be getting a visit from a sheriff's deputy" because a murder suspect answering that description remained at large. In April, Susan L. Taylor, the iconic editorial director of Essence magazine, canceled a campus speech when she discovered the college forbids its students to wear "unusual" hairstyles -- including braids, which are Taylor's signature look. This was noteworthy because the college was Hampton University, one of the nation's oldest historically black campuses. Then it was discovered that Black Enterprise magazine had a similar ban for student interns.

The message is clear. If blacks want to have a chance in the increasingly unforgiving corporate world, they will have to shave off their edges -- starting with their hair. To Taylor and to many others, including me, such a message implies a false choice between assimilation and self-affirmation. What looks like practicality is, in fact, more denial.
The roots of racial pride

Milk

Pro
Daps
Reppin
England
I think black women should wear their hair naturally, in that Afro style and make it popular. If enough black women are seen wearing their har, like in the first and second video, other black wowen will follow suit and it can become ubiquitous amongst them.

New Username

Staff Member
Supporter
Daps
The natural hair movement is big now. More women are going natural and they're supporting black hair care businesses more.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
With naturalness being embraced like it was in the 60s and 70s we are also teaching our girls that it's better to embrace our natural hair textures & educating them about the chemicals' effects on our bodies on how it may straighten the hair but can cause damage in the long run.

I'd like to add that in an article on Madamenoire a few weeks back i commented that black women are almost forced out of our natural hair textured styles. Be that is our girls who have school policies against them or it is in our very own work place because it does not appear to be 'professional' as they call it. When a non-black woman can come in with her hair one of two ways: straight or curled & it not be a fukking problem.

Last edited:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Whenever I see a Black woman in fake hair I just imagine how insecure she must be..it takes a lot of confidence in this day and age for a young Black woman to go all natural and say fukk it.

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
Whenever I see a Black woman in fake hair I just imagine how insecure she must be..it takes a lot of confidence in this day and age for a young Black woman to go all natural and say fukk it.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement on insecurity.

You have to factor in their upbringing and their parents as well. If a girl has fake hair at 11..u cant put her in that box cause thats what she knows. Everyone becomes aware at different times.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
I wear my hair exactly like it grows in.
I'm extremely handsome and reasonably successful so I find it acts as a defense mechanism to keep stupid/shallow women from speaking to me.
:blessed: Its like a barrier that blocks out thots.

I wear it with a black fist afro pick and usually I get hellos from conscious women and college chicks...But lately I been getting hellos from more hood chicks than I normally do. And then this morning when I was at Walgreens (got some Black Soap cause ppl were reccomending it in another thread) the chick at the counter nodded and said 'you rockin the Shumpert'
:obama:

So idk...

I always say whatsup to my folks with natural hair tho.

Its good that successful dudes like Iman Shumpert are wearing their hair natural. Its being seen.