PRINCE creating his own competition with THE TIME-APPRECIATION

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
For those who didn't know Prince was behind all of the THE TIME's music..
The Time was assembled under a clause in Prince's contract with Warner Bros. that allowed him to recruit and produce other artists for the label. Inspired by the 1980 film The Idolmaker, Prince decided to put together a pop-funk group that would serve as an outlet for material in the vein of his own early albums, while he explored other genres and styles in his own career.[2]

he did the drums,bass,keys,guitar and would write the songs,the way he wanted Morris to sing the songs. He guided him and Morris had to sing note-for note. Though Morris was a local legend and was a badass drummer, Morris' swag and showmanship was key for the stage presentation so he deserves credit.

He would goto their rehearsals..then when they were done do his own rehearsals for his own band, then afterwards still goto the studio and create:ohlawd:

The Minneapolis sound is pretty much one dude,and the public at that time didn't even know it:wow:

PRINCE gets his praise, but especially with the younger generation I don't think they realize how amazing dude was.

I mean The Time were actually upstaging Prince because he was reheasring them so well,and the material was great(AND OF COURSE THE BAND WERE ALL GREAT MUSICIANS ON THEIR OWN)

A rivalry developed between The Time and Prince's band during their 1982 Controversy Tour. Frustrated with their lack of input on the albums bearing their name and at being underpaid, The Time would take to the stage with the intent of showing up Prince. On the final night of the tour in Cincinnati, during the Time's set, Prince and some of his band threw eggs at their supporting act from offstage. After The Time's performance, guitarist Jesse Johnson was handcuffed to a wall-mounted coat rack. Prince demanded no interruptions during his performance, but as soon as he left the stage, a food fight erupted. When the battle continued at the hotel, Prince held Morris Day responsible and made him pay for all damages.[3]

There are dozens are stories that THE TIME were outshining Prince on the tour at several shows..

Highkey also proof that people LOVE THE FUNK...Prince when he is on his funk tip is :ohlawd: ...and Wendy got some great funky guitar chops as well ..and she was fine af back in the day...Prince was smashing her twin sister :mjlit:

Daps
Reppin
St louis
wat6rr.jpg
UKVu0t8.gif

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Morris day was/is the truth..

Sadly if the brotha came out today. Folks would deny his talent and spend more time on social media arguing if he really is black due to his skin color or perm....than talking about his music and style (which was a pass down and head nod of the black bravado soul music of the past)...:francis:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
good thread, though all acts were trying to blow each other off the stage during live shows.
Watch any documentary or biopic about music act,and you'll see this

Prince was NOTORIOUS for going so far as stealing parts of Rick James' show when he was opening up for him...and RJ wanted to beat his ass over it.

51g%2BZkDvL-L.jpg

In the 80's, Rick James asked Prince to open up the "Fire Up Tour." James states in his book, "The Confessions Of Rick James, Memoirs Of A Super Freak," that he had yet to meet Prince. The only thing he had heard about him was that he was shy. James had hoped this was false because if he was shy, he had no business being out on the road with him.

James said he walked through the backstage entrance, Prince was sitting on his group's drums playing some bullshyt beat. James sat down and began playing some serious stuff. He said Prince looked over at him and got his little ass up and walked away.

James adds, "Prince was just starting out and the first time I saw Prince and his band open for me, I felt sorry for him. Here's this little dude wearing high heels, standing there in a trench coat. Then at the end of the set, he'd take off his trench coat and he'd be wearing little girl's bloomers. The guys in the audience booed him to death."

The following weeks of the tour weren't very different from the opening date. Whenever I was on stage I'd see Prince on the side of the stage just staring and watching everything I did, like a kid in school.

One day I walked into the auditorium, getting ready to go on and I heard the crowd chanting loudly. I went to check it out. Here's Prince doing my chants. Not only was he stalking the stage like me, he was doing my trademark funk sign, flipping the microphone and everything. The boy had stolen my whole show. I was pissed and so was my band. This went on night after night, every show I'd see more of my routine. It got to the point I couldn't do the stuff I had always done because Prince was doing it before I came on. It started to look like I was copying him.

Everyone knew what was happening, his management, my management. The atmosphere backstage was not improved by the fact that Prince's band members were not on good terms with my band and my guys wanted to kick their asses. Prince's musicians would stick their noses in the air and not even acknowledge the Stone City Band, even if they were all standing together, waiting for the elevator. Prince's group was a bunch of egotistical a$$holes who never even played on a record. The kid did it all, they were just hired players.

One day, things blew up and management called a meeting. I told Prince's manager, that if Prince did any more of my show he was off the tour. Finally, we all met in Prince's room, Prince, me and our bands. Prince's band was afraid, very afraid. Prince sat on the bed and hardly said a word. He acted like a little bytch while his band and mine patched up our differences.

Soon after this episode. There was a birthday party for me. Prince came, he was sitting at a table with some people not drinking. I walked up to him, grabbed him by the back of the hair and poured cognac down his throat. He spit it out like a little bytch and I laughed and walked away. I loved fukking with him like that.

rick-james.png

BEN23

All Star
Daps
Soon after this episode. There was a birthday party for me. Prince came, he was sitting at a table with some people not drinking. I walked up to him, grabbed him by the back of the hair and poured cognac down his throat. He spit it out like a little bytch and I laughed and walked away. I loved fukking with him like that.

:laff::laff::laff:

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
good thread, though all acts were trying to blow each other off the stage during live shows.
Watch any documentary or biopic about music act,and you'll see this

Prince was NOTORIOUS for going so far as stealing parts of Rick James' show when he was opening up for him...and RJ wanted to beat his ass over it.

51g%2BZkDvL-L.jpg

In the 80's, Rick James asked Prince to open up the "Fire Up Tour." James states in his book, "The Confessions Of Rick James, Memoirs Of A Super Freak," that he had yet to meet Prince. The only thing he had heard about him was that he was shy. James had hoped this was false because if he was shy, he had no business being out on the road with him.

James said he walked through the backstage entrance, Prince was sitting on his group's drums playing some bullshyt beat. James sat down and began playing some serious stuff. He said Prince looked over at him and got his little ass up and walked away.

James adds, "Prince was just starting out and the first time I saw Prince and his band open for me, I felt sorry for him. Here's this little dude wearing high heels, standing there in a trench coat. Then at the end of the set, he'd take off his trench coat and he'd be wearing little girl's bloomers. The guys in the audience booed him to death."

The following weeks of the tour weren't very different from the opening date. Whenever I was on stage I'd see Prince on the side of the stage just staring and watching everything I did, like a kid in school.

One day I walked into the auditorium, getting ready to go on and I heard the crowd chanting loudly. I went to check it out. Here's Prince doing my chants. Not only was he stalking the stage like me, he was doing my trademark funk sign, flipping the microphone and everything. The boy had stolen my whole show. I was pissed and so was my band. This went on night after night, every show I'd see more of my routine. It got to the point I couldn't do the stuff I had always done because Prince was doing it before I came on. It started to look like I was copying him.

Everyone knew what was happening, his management, my management. The atmosphere backstage was not improved by the fact that Prince's band members were not on good terms with my band and my guys wanted to kick their asses. Prince's musicians would stick their noses in the air and not even acknowledge the Stone City Band, even if they were all standing together, waiting for the elevator. Prince's group was a bunch of egotistical a$$holes who never even played on a record. The kid did it all, they were just hired players.

One day, things blew up and management called a meeting. I told Prince's manager, that if Prince did any more of my show he was off the tour. Finally, we all met in Prince's room, Prince, me and our bands. Prince's band was afraid, very afraid. Prince sat on the bed and hardly said a word. He acted like a little bytch while his band and mine patched up our differences.

rick-james.png

Rick stole his synthesizer machine, used Princes programmed beats and made Street Sounds album (his best)