Prince didn't have to destroy Eddie Murphy's dream like that...

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The late, great Prince was a competitive athlete, and we know this mainly because of that famous Chappelle’s Show sketch. You know, the one where Charlie Murphy recounts how he and his friends got their asses kicked in a pickup basketball game. For old time’s sake, here’s the sketch:

Since then, we’ve seen and heard further proof of Prince’s athleticism, from the unearthing of his junior high basketball photo to Jimmy Fallon’s ping-pong story. However, according to this feature from GQ Magazine’s Chris Heath, there’s more to Charlie Murphy’s basketball story than what was depicted on Chappelle’s Show.

In the middle of Prince’s friends confirming the accuracy of Murphy’s story, his friend Gilbert Davison revealed how Prince responded to Eddie Murphy wanting to listen to his music:

Davison: The backstory to that was—and this is the part Charlie doesn't tell—Eddie had wanted to play Prince his new album. So during that basketball game, Eddie's music was playing, via boom box, on a cassette. After that game, Prince goes over and he tosses the cassette out of the boom box, and he says, "Let me ask you a question: Do you see me stop my show to do comedy?"

I can probably see why Charlie Murphy left that part out; he probably wanted to save his brother from embarrassment, and no one really played Eddie Murphy’s part in the sketch, anyway. But it would have been hilarious to see a re-enactment of Prince taking Eddie’s cassette out, throwing it away, and dropping that savage quote.

You can read more remembrances of Prince over at GQ, which includes even more stories about him kicking people’s asses at ping pong.

LOL at it being so etherous that Charlie had to cut it from the Chappelle sketch

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Game... Blouses.

tenor.gif

Prince and Rick had beef. Real beef. Not rap beef.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
:mjlol: These Prince and MJ stories are top level fukkery
BitterScholarlyKingsnake-size_restricted.gif

when prince slapped apollonia... they said michael jackson screamed oh no....and started crying and had a panic attack

thats why mike made the song bad..n wanted prince to be in it...

first words he was gone say to prince.. was ya butt is mine...

prince was like
prince-side-eye.gif
,,, yall hear this nikka...

lIkXTai.gif
nah mayne

pesci character in moonwalker is based off prince..

short nikka funny hairstyle wore highheels..

mike was like if he slap women ..he must hate kids...

MV5BNDg0YjgyNTQtMzU2MC00ZTE1LWEyMjctMzQ3Mzk5YjY5NjNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIwODk1NTQ@._V1_.jpg

smooth criminal is loosely based off the im joinin morris's group...

annie are u okay?

they claim it was about a cpr dummy... bullshyt moonwalker a purple rain slug

Last edited:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: These Prince and MJ stories are top level fukkery

LOL that's the difference between Prince and MJ. Prince said :camby:to Eddie's musical aspirations.

Meanwhile, Mike was like "Sounds great Eddie! Let me help you!"

Rick probably would've ethered Eddie worse than Prince did, but Eddie offered him some free cocaine and the rest is history...