Prince "I Was Right About the Internet, Tell Me One Musician Who made $ with it"

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
Oh, shots fired. :banderas:

Some stand out moments:

The dates haven’t actually been confirmed yet, but the concept has: he’s going to perform solo, playing the piano, in a succession of theatres. “Well, I’m not one to get bad reviews,” he deadpans.

“So I’m doing it to challenge myself, like tying one hand behind my back, not relying on the craft that I’ve known for 30 years. I won’t know what songs I’m going to do when I go on stage, I really won’t. I won’t have to, because I won’t have a band. Tempo, keys, all those things can dictate what song I’m going to play next, you know, as opposed to, ‘Oh, I’ve got to do my hit single now, I’ve got to play this album all the way through,’ or whatever. There’s so much material, it’s hard to choose. It’s hard. So that’s what I’d like to do.

What I meant was that the internet was over for anyone who wants to get paid, and I was right about that,” he says. “Tell me a musician who’s got rich off digital sales. Apple’s doing pretty good though, right?”

This one, :ohhh:

Oh, I love critics,” he smiles. “Because they love me. It’s not a joke. They care. See, everybody knows when somebody’s lazy, and now, with the internet, it’s impossible for a writer to be lazy because everybody will pick up on it. In the past, they said some stuff that was out of line, so I just didn’t have anything to do with them. Now it gets embarrassing to say something untrue, because you put it online and everyone knows about it, so it’s better to tell the truth.

Prince: ‘I was right about the internet – tell me a musician who’s got rich off it’

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
A lot of musicians have made money from it as it is a new revenue stream for some artists. TONS of artists make a killing on selling merchandise online through their websites. I mean absolutely shyt tons. Does Spotify or Pandora pay a ton? Nope....but it's money that also was never there to begin with prior to them. Radio wasn't paying Prince to play his music as they had the whole 'its promotional' bs mixed in so I am not sure why he is saying anything. Or any of those guys from back in the day, really.

I love Prince and all but he's off base.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
A lot of musicians have made money from it as it is a new revenue stream for some artists. TONS of artists make a killing on selling merchandise online through their websites. I mean absolutely shyt tons. Does Spotify or Pandora pay a ton? Nope....but it's money that also was never there to begin with prior to them. Radio wasn't paying Prince to play his music as they had the whole 'its promotional' bs mixed in so I am not sure why he is saying anything. Or any of those guys from back in the day, really.

I love Prince and all but he's off base.
prince really isn't on the level where he should be grinding for fan pesos like a bandcamp garage band tho

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
prince really isn't on the level where he should be grinding for fan pesos like a bandcamp garage band tho

Agreed but why knock someone who is? That's like saying no one should try to make cars because Rolls Royce makes the best car.

Soulja Boy made more money coming up off YouTube than 50% of the artists in Prince's era....

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
not sure how much money he means but

odd future did alright, well tyler

ugly mane still got people paying 5$ for his albums and more for vinyl

hollowsquad seem to be selling out shows and all they do is put out albums on soundcloud

doesnt tinashe record most of hher shyt at home

so yeah its mostly younger peeps eating off the internet

oh and lets not forget lil b

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not sure how much money he means but

odd future did alright, well tyler

ugly mane still got people paying 5$ for his albums and more for vinyl

hollowsquad seem to be selling out shows and all they do is put out albums on soundcloud

doesnt tinashe record most of hher shyt at home

so yeah its mostly younger peeps eating off the internet

oh and lets not forget lil b

I think he is talking bout getting rich of selling records, that era is finished. Shows is the new record sales lol

MufasaChoppa

The Rise & Fall Of Mufasa Choppa
Daps
Reppin
L.A , California
full

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
No one makes money from it, he's right from that standpoint

but ask RTJ who give their album out for free but sell out every show off their tour and make a grip from that. I went to a RTJ, shyt was cac central, jammed pack and these cheap nikkas probably didn't spend $100 on the stage setup, all profit