Prince to Release/Select a Song a Week New-Rare-Unreleased-Artist Suggestion Via Tidal

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
:ohhh: Jay Z/ Prince be on some other shyt. This Hit n Run album is.. :banderas: Can anyone guess what song will be next week? :jawalrus: Prince dont give up after 4 weeks of this. :aicmon:

from Rolling Stone:

On top of HitNRun Phase One, Prince also promises to share a new Purple Pick of the Week with subscribers, with Prince personally curating new tracks, rarities and other exclusives from his vast musical vaults to unveil each week on Tidal. The first Purple Pick of the Week is "Stare," a funky track that previously popped up on Spotify without warning. Tidal will also be the exclusive home of Prince's immense catalog.

To celebrate the release of HitNRun Phase One, Prince's Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, Minnesota have hosted three consecutive nights of dance parties featuring live music and DJs. According to the Star Tribune, Prince did not appear at the first night of festivities on Friday, while the rocker strapped on a guitar and performed for just 90 seconds during Liz Warfield's set on Saturday night. On Sunday night, the Paisley Park crowd was treated to the Minnesota debut ofHitNRun Phase One as the album dropped on the East Coast an hour earlier. Prince did not show up for the listening party.

"After one meeting, it was obvious that Jay Z and the team he has assembled at Tidal recognize and applaud the effort that real musicians put in2 their craft 2 achieve the very best they can at this pivotal time in the music industry," Prince said in a statement after entering into his Tidal partnership "Secondly, Tidal have honored Us with a non-restrictive arrangement that once again allows Us to continue making art in the fashion We've grown accustomed 2 and We're Extremely grateful 4 their generous support. And lastly, in the tech-savvy, real-time world We all live in 2day, everything is faster. From its conception and that one & only meeting, HitNRun took about 90 days 2 prepare its release. If that's what freedom feels like, HitNRun is what it sounds like."

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
So Prince just released a new song via a 3rdeyegirl music video "Indifference" and it is a acoustic groove and it all live sitting down in a room together playing. I actually am more interested in a new 3rdEyeGirl project than I am this new album w/ Josh. :ohhh: Josh n Prince need to stop worrying about appealing to the contemporary clubs. You going to be all right, Josh. You are making history w/ one of the GOATS, find your zone and don't be bothered if charts don't pay attention to it. :win:

Prince giving us a new song early, Tidal winning. :banderas:

Last edited:

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
brehs . . why's his album debuting at #70 on the charts?

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
brehs . . why's his album debuting at #70 on the charts?

I will tell you why, Prince is so insulated from actual collaborators who can move. He chooses people who do lite promotional work, they aren't out there. And when you aren't out there, why the hell would anyone jump on board?

The album itself is a coproduction of an artist that may not be able to deliver where it comes to hit making formula. I listened to it twice and decided that the sample sounds, it just sounds like someone flipping through a library of hot sounds in attempt to catch your ear. Josh is going to need to come with something where DJ's get excited about.

In short, Prince has put his trust in someone who doesn't know how to promote,market or even begin to gain the TRUST of radio. Josh's skill is to be able to quickly flip through sounds & put something together. But anyone is able to pull up a sound library. It isn't enough that Prince is on vocals and a few instruments. That's why an album like that can't get traction. Josh is starting from Zero and Prince is already starting from Music God status.

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
I will tell you why, Prince is so insulated from actual collaborators who can move. He chooses people who do lite promotional work, they aren't out there. And when you aren't out there, why the hell would anyone jump on board?

The album itself is a coproduction of an artist that may not be able to deliver where it comes to hit making formula. I listened to it twice and decided that the sample sounds, it just sounds like someone flipping through a library of hot sounds in attempt to catch your ear. Josh is going to need to come with something where DJ's get excited about.

In short, Prince has put his trust in someone who doesn't know how to promote,market or even begin to gain the TRUST of radio. Josh's skill is to be able to quickly flip through sounds & put something together. But anyone is able to pull up a sound library. It isn't enough that Prince is on vocals and a few instruments. That's why an album like that can't get traction. Josh is starting from Zero and Prince is already starting from Music God status.

So how did this Josh guy get the job? :patrice:

I remember hearing that when Prince was first signed they wanted him to be produced by Earth Wind and Fire and they refused . . which makes me wonder . . . do you think his debut albums would've been better had he been produced by more a more experienced act?

@stomachlines @shopthatwrecks - maybe you guys have some perspective to weigh-in?

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps

I remember hearing that when Prince was first signed they wanted him to be produced by Earth Wind and Fire and they refused . . which makes me wonder . . . do you think his debut albums would've been better had he been produced by more a more experienced act?

@stomachlines @shopthatwrecks - maybe you guys have some perspective to weigh-in?

yeah, i'm sure verdine and maurice would've hooked prince up with some great production for those first few albums because you gotta remember earth wind and fire was still comin' with hits in the late 70's/early 80's for themselves so there's no question that they would've produced some great music for prince. however luckily for prince, he found himself in music by the time he got around to his "dirty mind" album (his 3rd album)

in the end, all worked out the way it did for the best for prince though

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps

This is a perfect example of being lucky b*stard. He was the husband of the drummer to 3rdeyegirl. He was around a lot and when he was able to use the studio off and on, Prince caught wind of that. Prince got excited and then he started throwing him tapes. That's how you have this collaboration now because Prince trusted him w/ his vocal stems.

I can't suggest this album to anyone because this is more of Josh's vision than Prince's. At first, I was like this is kind of cool but then as I listened something seemed strange like someone was just mixing sounds around and not really paying attention to how it sounds. Just as long as you have a trendy sound in there, it will be okay. Which I don't think makes much sense when you have one of the greatest musical forces in the studio w/ you. Hopefully Josh will move away from that on the next project.

I liked the Judith Hill album much better than Hit n Run. Go figure, because Prince produced that project. I thought Judith showed a lot of effort in bringing something different to music world especially going analog like she did on her project.

I think his debut is as good as you get for a 20 year old who has never made a debut album before. There is a lot of amazing shyt on there musically........

Btw, I see Prince flaked on giving us music on Tidal and instead suggesting musical act this week to check out. :russ:Where is that cancel button for Tidal? I will give you one more month Prince. :francis:

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
This is a perfect example of being lucky b*stard. He was the husband of the drummer to 3rdeyegirl. He was around a lot and when he was able to use the studio off and on, Prince caught wind of that. Prince got excited and then he started throwing him tapes. That's how you have this collaboration now because Prince trusted him w/ his vocal stems.

I can't suggest this album to anyone because this is more of Josh's vision than Prince's. At first, I was like this is kind of cool but then as I listened something seemed strange like someone was just mixing sounds around and not really paying attention to how it sounds. Just as long as you have a trendy sound in there, it will be okay. Which I don't think makes much sense when you have one of the greatest musical forces in the studio w/ you. Hopefully Josh will move away from that on the next project.

I liked the Judith Hill album much better than Hit n Run. Go figure, because Prince produced that project. I thought Judith showed a lot of effort in bringing something different to music world especially going analog like she did on her project.

I think his debut is as good as you get for a 20 year old who has never made a debut album before. There is a lot of amazing shyt on there musically........

Btw, I see Prince flaked on giving us music on Tidal and instead suggesting musical act this week to check out. :russ:Where is that cancel button for Tidal? I will give you one more month Prince. :francis:

I'm going to check that Judith Hill album out . . it's pretty cool that he's producing acts off the strength of them saying they want to work with him

Interestingly . . in 2001 Max Martin was asked who he'd like to work with and he said Prince . . I think he's in a position to make that happen now and it would be nice to see what would come of that