Probably Going to Be Called a c00n For This, But...

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I wrote an article at The Marshall Project, a non-profit news org that focuses on criminal justice in the US, about my experiences attending a majority-white evangelical church.

Police Brutality Drove a Wedge Between Me and My Church

I've spoken about my experiences previously in HL, and how, in my search for a community to discuss my experience, I stumbled upon the Coli.
Salute to my HL brethren. :bpsalute:

This is a subject very close to me. I used to belong to a church that increasingly espoused right-wing views over the years, and I ended up stepping down as a minister and leaving the church this past May due to their apathy on recent police shootings and open support for Donald Trump. :francis:

I'm actually in talks with Cracked.com about writing an article about my experience. :ld:

The worst thing about belonging to a church that inserts political views into it's message is that there's no distinction being made between doctrine and opinion. I had belonged to that church for 11.5 years, and I thought that being united together in Christ would make political, racial, and cultural differences irrelevant.

I was wrong. I'll take the L. :mjcryhubie:

I always knew my pastor and many other members had some pretty conservative views (my former pastor is Lebanese, and identifies as white), but I believed that their political and cultural views were secondary to the Gospel (as they should be).

Then Ferguson happened. :sadcam:

Ferguson is my hood. Obviously there was a conflict in how we viewed the situation, being that I'm from North County (of which Ferguson is a municipality) and he's from the affluent part of South County. :francis:

I wrote a letter that was largely ignored by the church, and once the church started openly endorsing Donald Trump for President (which is technically illegal BTW), I was like :gucci:

So I left. Then I found the Coli. :pachaha:

Y'all have mostly been a means of catharsis. I post a lot here because I'm trying to confirm that I'm not crazy. :kanyebp:

I'm still a Christian, and I still hold some pretty conservative social views (abortion is murder and should be rare, homosexuality is wrong), but I cannot endure right-wing evangelical thinking anymore.

I know some fools are going to come in and try to clown (@I_Got_Da_Burna :bpufedup: ) but I appreciate the opportunity to be open and honest about my feelings.

Anyways, I'm interested to see what kind of feedback I'll get from TLR. Let the games begin. :bpmjpls:

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
At least you woke up fam and had the courage to realise so called religious ppl supporting a racist, womanising, foul mouthed idiot that grabs women by the p*ssy was hypocritical and total BS

:salute:

and I thought that being united together in Christ would make political, racial, and cultural differences irrelevant.

And this is the crux of the problem. Some
Ppl try to run away from racism by finding camaraderie with white supremacists via other means...e.g religion, sexual orientation..ideology (see mr libertarian himself @DEAD7 )

None of the shyt trumps the ideology of white supremacy

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
The distance between these beliefs and reality suggests that white Christians are failing to hear their brothers and sisters of color. And that failure raises serious concerns about the ability of mostly white congregations to advance the gospel of Jesus, a victim himself of state violence.
They ain't trying to hear not that they're failing to hear.

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
So it took you years to realize something that you should have known from the start. I won't call you a c00n but you are naive to think religion can supercede racists rhetoric.

No matter how well behaved you are, how much money you make, what religion you believe or how distinguished you are to these people....you are just a nikka.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
At least you woke up fam and had the courage to realise so called religious ppl supporting a racist, womanising, foul mouthed idiot that grabs women by the p*ssy was hypocritical and total BS

:salute:

and I thought that being united together in Christ would make political, racial, and cultural differences irrelevant.

And this is the crux of the problem. Some
Ppl try to run away from racism by finding camaraderie with white supremacists via other means...e.g religion, sexual orientation..ideology (see mr libertarian himself @DEAD7 )

None of the shyt trumps the ideology of white supremacy

Much appreciated, breh. :bpsalute:

Even through all this, I can't bring myself to hate anyone, but I certainly am more mindful of who I hang with.

I only care about truth. That's it. I'm not the type to be placated by telling me what I want to hear. The juelzing that went on in the aftermath of me questioning certain things made it a wrap for me.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So it took you years to realize something that you should have known from the start. I won't call you a c00n but you are naive to think religion can supercede racists rhetoric.

No matter how well behaved you are, how much money you make, what religion you believe or how distinguished you are to these people....you are just a nikka.

Tbh, if I considered them "racist" from the start I wouldn't be in this situation now. :kanyebp:
Deception isn't that easily perceived. It's easier than you think to be lured in with many things you already agree with--only to find yourself supporting a lot of ignorant ideas. :bpfacepalm:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
The Blek Pentha is not c00ning in this particular instance.

1237186.gif