Questlove defends Vol 1, Jay-Z responds

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Attacking Sunshine is a fake Rap opinion that nobody actually believes but people want to repeat

If it was so bad why did The Game freestyle over it during his up amd,coming rinse?

How,can Baby face feature be wack objectively?

How can a Foxy Brown feature be wack during this time she had key features during that era with Blackstreet and Jay Z
The new female Rap renaissance should bow at her feet.

Oh and the Rap classic 'Rockin It' by the Furious Four ' the song sampled

Imo it's almost Anti Hip Hop to try to downplay the song

Word, I like that song. Lyrically he killed it. Beat was wavy.

I bet if that joint didn't have a video this song wouldn't even be debatable. It wouida just been a solid club record

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
Attacking Sunshine is a fake Rap opinion that nobody actually believes but people want to repeat

If it was so bad why did The Game freestyle over it during his up amd,coming rinse?

How,can Baby face feature be wack objectively?

How can a Foxy Brown feature be wack during this time she had key features during that era with Blackstreet and Jay Z
The new female Rap renaissance should bow at her feet.

Oh and the Rap classic 'Rockin It' by the Furious Four ' the song sampled

Imo it's almost Anti Hip Hop to try to downplay the song
It was just weird coming from him. Thebeat was dope. But Jay's transition from HOH player to affectionate "I value women" Jay was quite awkward to watch. In hindsight only Beyonce could make that credible.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Quest probably has forgotten more about music then i will ever know, but i hate his hot takes. Just contrarian and nonsensical. Vol 1 was a deserved flop, Sunshine and I know what girls like did not go over peoples heads, they weren't that deep, just 80s samples, but if folks wasn't feeling them it is what it is.

Vol 1 had a couple of gems on it but it still wasn't a good album and mos def not near the top of his discography
How was it a flop, first album on a major label, good reviews, platinum and first time touching those high numbers on billboard :dahell:

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
Album was mid but...
A Million Questions, Where I'm From, Friend or Foe '98 & Imaginary Players make it worth a listen
Basically this. The dope songs on this album I STILL listen to and make what is/was great about Jay. "Imaginary Playa" is top 5 Jay tracks for me.

You can't f*ck with that intro / beat switch. Classic Premo.

"Friend or Foe" was viscous. Top 10 Jay track.

"Rap Game" is another fire track.

"Where I'm From" is classic.

"Streetz iz Watching" was dope, but MAYBE a bit too long.

Even "Who You Wit" was a dope single IMO.

The Too Short track was really good story telling. I just didn't love the beat.

"City is Mine" I can handle and understood why Jay did it. Didn't like the beat, though.

The tracks with Puff, Fox, and Kim, though, y'all can keep.

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
I know what yall nikkas asking yourself

Is he gonna ever fall off?

No :wow:

When that joint dropped, and he said that. I was like dude here to stay. I hadn't really played reasonable doubt all heavy but I loved the songs I heard and the singles on it on TV. Couldn't afford the albums back then.

But I always liked volume 1, it had some fire but some beats I wasn't a big fan on there like the too short song, face off, city is mine and I know what girls like. Rap game crack game is fire lyrically but the beats didn't match the level. Hov was rhyming his tail off on this. But then you go imaginary player, where I'm from, friend or foe 2, streets is watching he was cooking on here. A few different beat choices and this coulda been my favorite hov album.

I had that a million and one intro talk as my voicemail for a while. Like I know what you asking yourself is he ever gonna fall off, no!

Over the years, I think that's my favorite hov song now. The rhyme no more was nasty too.