Raising the U.S. Federal Minimum Wage Watch

WILL A MINIMUM WAGE HIKE PASS BEFORE 2022 MIDTERM CYCLE?

• YES

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • NO

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
make it $15/hr for businesses over x-revenue/yr (would say employees, but people will cut employees to skirt the raise, no one will drop their revenues on purpose) and keep it moving.

to be in lockstep with their war on the middle class, make that revenue cutoff where the $15 kicks in start at 75k/yr, certainly any business making above that is ballin too hard for breaks and "handouts" :smugfavre:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
make it $15/hr for businesses over x-revenue/yr (would say employees, but people will cut employees to skirt the raise, no one will drop their revenues on purpose) and keep it moving.

to be in lockstep with their war on the middle class, make that revenue cutoff where the $15 kicks in start at 75k/yr, certainly any business making above that is ballin too hard for breaks and "handouts" :smugfavre:
:patrice:Attaching min wage to revenue...interesting.

Throw in some tax cuts and that may be palpable.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

I pretty much agree. It's too popular across the board to just boldly reject it, but there's a large enough constituency that allows voters in places like NC where it's 7.25/hr and can't be negotiated by local governments to allow reps to wiggle out over "sticker shock."

The data doesn't really back that up, but it think a lot of talk around 15/hr being too high and businesses closing works well with voters in places where the industries have left and people are content with merely holding on - - ptsd.

But yea 12/hr would be a huge increase for a lot of voters, unfortunately it means that low skill workers in large cities will be ignored at the national level.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I pretty much agree. It's too popular across the board to just boldly reject it, but there's a large enough constituency that allows voters in places like NC where it's 7.25/hr and can't be negotiated by local governments to allow reps to wiggle out over "sticker shock."

The data doesn't really back that up, but it think a lot of talk around 15/hr being too high and businesses closing works well with voters in places where the industries have left and people are content with merely holding on - - ptsd.

But yea 12/hr would be a huge increase for a lot of voters, unfortunately it means that low skill workers in large cities will be ignored at the national level.
most high COL cities already have 12-16/hr min wage, then cities in places like Texas or Florida (many of which are big but not necessarily high COL) will be forced to raise min wage so even those in resistant cities will get a raise. i'm not seeing how that group ends up ignored

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
most high COL cities already have 12-16/hr min wage, then cities in places like Texas or Florida (many of which are big but not necessarily high COL) will be forced to raise min wage so even those in resistant cities will get a raise. i'm not seeing how that group ends up ignored
What market force is going to cause Texas, Florida, and NC to meet the min wage standards of more liberal states/cities that already have higher min wages.

Min wage workers aren't a particularly migrant workforce.

Most still struggle to live comfortably even in the "more affordable" big cities. Take Charlotte for example:

In Charlotte, the analysis determined homeowners need income of $80,070 to follow that budgeting advice, while renters need $82,999. The reported local median income of $58,202 is well below what is needed to easily buy or rent in the area.

How much you need to earn to live comfortably in Charlotte, other cities

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
What market force is going to cause Texas, Florida, and NC to meet the min wage standards of more liberal states/cities that already have higher min wages.

Min wage workers aren't a particularly migrant workforce.

Most still struggle to live comfortably even in the "more affordable" big cities. Take Charlotte for example:
The last line of your post reads as if you believe a federal increase will happen, even if "just" to $12 - so with a Fed min wage at 12-15, those cities will now be in lockstep with high COL cities that already had 12-15/hr wages.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The last line of your post reads as if you believe a federal increase will happen, even if "just" to $12 - so with a Fed min wage at 12-15, those cities will now be in lockstep with high COL cities that already had 12-15/hr wages.
I believe there's a big gulf between 12-15/hr.

We see stats in Colorado that have jumped to 16 after realizing the jump to 12 didnt have the intended affects.

I'm simply stating that there's a cost of living issue in many states big cities and the argument to raise min wage beyond 12 exists outside of NY and the Bay.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don't see it happening unless they get Manchin/Sinema on board to remove the filibuster.

Otherwise Republicans will block it (and anything else) just on GP because it's Democratic legislation.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I believe there's a big gulf between 12-15/hr.

We see stats in Colorado that have jumped to 16 after realizing the jump to 12 didnt have the intended affects.

I'm simply stating that there's a cost of living issue in many states big cities and the argument to raise min wage beyond 12 exists outside of NY and the Bay.
Going from 7.25 to 12 in these red states cities is a big improvement, it may not be the 15/16 that it is in high COL cities, but the COL in Houston isn't touching that of NYC/SF/Seattle. I see 12 as a fair compromise given the wide COL differences in the nation. I think $15/hr nationwide is attainable for large businesses, but if the choice is getting something done or the status quo, 12 is sensible

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Going from 7.25 to 12 in these red states cities is a big improvement, it may not be the 15/16 that it is in high COL cities, but the COL in Houston isn't touching that of NYC/SF/Seattle. I see 12 as a fair compromise given the wide COL differences in the nation. I think $15/hr nationwide is attainable for large businesses, but if the choice is getting something done or the status quo, 12 is sensible
That's fine. I thought the data was clear on my position, Charlotte is one of the more affordable cities and 12/hr puts you well below what it takes to find housing and live affordably.

We're expecting people to live, even short term and advance on a pay that is half the median and 56k less than what most estimates suggest is needed to affordably live.

15/hr is less than what people got under the CARES act to stay home. :francis:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I voted for Biden to suppress the minimum wage

:troll:

I'm not sure why people are trying to hang this on anyone other than Red States and the QOP
:ohhh: