Rate This Cuisine: Day 2 - Puerto Rico

How Trill Is This Cuisine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Yesterday's Result:

Nigeria - 6.262

For day 1 we asked the coli to rate the Nigerian cuisine which came up to a mediocre 6.262.

Rules

1. The Coli will be rating 365 cuisines in this project.

2. You simply rate the cuisine on how dope you think it is.

3. Users rate the designated cuisine on a scale of 1-10
(10 being :noah: status, 1 being :scust: status)

4. The results of the poll will be displayed publicly.

5. Feel free to nominate anybody. Chances are we'll get to your favorite during the course of the year. PM or @ me with your requests.

6. Testing my desire to do this, this project will last for 365 days. Days might be pushed back here and there, but this will be done.

7. Days will last for approximately 24 hours.

8. Sets of cuisine twins are eligible for nomination.

9. Various pictures will be used. No make-up pictures are one such an example. If you feel it's necessary, please feel free to contribute and add your own pictures.

10. Also, If you find a mistake in the OP, do not hesitate in contacting me so I can rectify it. This series is as much yours as it is mine.

10. The poll will be up for 24 hours only, so make sure you get your votes in!

11. Results will be placed on the official RTC leaderboard. TBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After number 10 of the series I will make the leadership board and add the numbers up.

Anyway.... in the second installment I introduce to you Puerto Rico. An exotic island that's home too over 471 thousand Afro Ricans and more off the island. I love my Afro Boricuas and the food.

Country (U.S. Territory): Puerto Rico

Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg

Tostones

Tostones-9.jpg

What it is: Often served as an appetizer, this dish is made by thinly slicing plantains, coating them in a batter, and frying them.

Why it's awesome: Tostones pair perfectly with mayo ketchup, a mixture of mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic, and other spices.

Arroz Con Gandules

What is it: It's white rice cooked with pigeon peas, olives, capers, tomato sauce, seasoning, and sofrito. Sofrito is a cooking base made from cilantro, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. The sofrito is what gives the rice its unique flavor. Sometimes pork is also added to give the rice more substance.

Why it's awesome: Arroz con gandules is actually considered the island's national dish. Arroz con gandules is the first food every Puerto Rican abuela teaches her grandkids to cook.

Empanadillas

ffba40df54e7f2d1a1736696d026a088.jpg

What is it: Puerto Rican empanadallias are savory fried pastries traditionally filled with ground beef, although now you can find them stuffed with chicken as well.

Why it's awesome: All Puerto Ricans seem to enjoy it.

Mofongo

What is it: In Puerto Rican cuisine, instead of mashing potatoes, they mash plantains and call it mofongo. Mofongo is made from green plantains seasoned with garlic and salt and often stuffed with chicken, beef, shrimp or vegetables.

Why is it awesome: Mofongo is a classic Puerto Rican food that's fairly versatile. My personal favorite way to enjoy this dish is topped with veggies and a side of arroz con gandules. Café Berlin in San Juan, Puerto Rico makes amazing veggie mofongo.

Pernil

What is it: Pernil is roasted pig.

Why is it awesome: Puerto Rican families often roast an entire pig at family celebrations and parties. Pernil is enjoyed alongside a variety of other Puerto Rican foods including: arroz, mofongo, tostones, and more.

Platanos Maduros

3923227052_67382d19d6_b.jpg

What is it: Maduros are fried plantains; however they're different from tostones. These are sweeter because they are made from riper plantains. They taste similar to a caramelized banana.

Why is it awesome: Because it defines what Puerto Rico is all about.

Asopao

What is it: Asopao is popular across the Caribbean. It's essentially a blend of rice and soup. This dish is similar to gumbo and is often paired with seafood, chicken or pork. There are many different variations of this dish.

Why is it awesome: The most popular in Puerto Rico is asopao de pollo, which is made from broth, rice, chicken, oregano, tomato, olives, onion, garlic, and other seasonings.

Last edited:

T'krm

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BA DOS Af pr
Uh...not sure how the rules go....might have to explain:patrice:
But PR food simplemente es lo mejor:blessed:
Top notch,and imo is the best Caribbean dish, pound-for-pound....yeah I said it!:leostare:
@LuckyLibra619

Last edited:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
20 Best Restaurant jobs in Puerto Rico (Hiring Now!) | Simply Hired :mjgrin:

OP if you gone copy the default setup in the OP, you need to include/add the previous day, to have connective tissue:

• Show Day One's cuisine rating
  • Brief statement saying Day One rated great, moderate or terrible on the 10 point scale.

Never had PRican food, but looks good.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism