Rate This Cuisine: Day 3 - Jamaica

How Trill Is This Cuisine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Yesterday's Result:

Puerto Rico - 6.619

For day 2 we asked the coli to rate the Puerto Rican cuisine which came up to a 6.619

Rules

1. The Coli will be rating 365 cuisines in this project.

2. You simply rate the cuisine on how dope you think it is.

3. Users rate the designated cuisine on a scale of 1-10
(10 being :noah: status, 1 being :scust: status)

4. The results of the poll will be displayed publicly.

5. Feel free to nominate anybody. Chances are we'll get to your favorite during the course of the year. PM or @ me with your requests.

6. Testing my desire to do this, this project will last for 365 days. Days might be pushed back here and there, but this will be done.

7. Days will last for approximately 24 hours.

8. Sets of cuisine twins are eligible for nomination.

9. Various pictures will be used. No make-up pictures are one such an example. If you feel it's necessary, please feel free to contribute and add your own pictures.

10. Also, If you find a mistake in the OP, do not hesitate in contacting me so I can rectify it. This series is as much yours as it is mine.

10. The poll will be up for 24 hours only, so make sure you get your votes in!

11. Results will be placed on the official RTC leaderboard. TBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After number 10 of the series I will make the leadership board and add the numbers up.

Anyway.... in the third installment I introduce to you Jamaica. An dope island that is home to the Rasta mon and Buju Banton the gawd :blessed:

Country (Island): Jamaica

shutterstock_230538991.jpg

Ackee and Salt-fish

jamaica%20ackee%20saltfish-1800x1800.jpg

What is it: The fleshy, yellow part of the seed pod from the ackee fruit is cooked with salted cod fish. When cooked, ackee looks similar to scrambled eggs. It is also often eaten for breakfast.It’s rare to find ackee elsewhere.

Why Is It awesome: It's Jamaica's national dish. The fruit is part of the lychee family and was imported from West Africa in the late 1700s. But ackee is a time consuming and somewhat difficult fruit to cook with, there are inedible portions and the unripened fruit is poisonous.

Bееf Patty/Cосоа Brеаd

jamaica%20falmouth%20spicy%20nice%20patty%20with%20coco%20bread-2-2000x2000.jpg

What is it: The Jamaican beef patty has a flaky crust with a variety of different fillings. If you are familiar with the turnovers or Latin American empanadas, this is very similar. The original filling is beef but you’ll also find chicken, shrimp, lobster and fish. A beef patty is a snack but if you want to make it a meal, Jamaicans also put it inside coco bread. Personally this Jamaican food is far too much of a starchy carb for me but I love coco bread and I could easily eat a loaf of that on its own. If you want to eat in best beef patty in Montego Bay you’ll find locals split between two spots, Juici’s and Tastees. I tried both and slightly preferred Juici’s for its flakey pastry but you can’t go wrong with either.

Why is it awesome: Because Jamaicans make it trill man.

Jerk Chicken

mh_1068_jerk_chicken_2_prev_vx.jpg

What is it: One of the most traditional Jamaican food, if you think you know jerk chicken you haven’t had the real thing until you try it in Jamaica. The name is derived from the Jamaican jerk spice, a flavourful mixture that marinates the chicken. Jerk spice is made from combining cinnamon, cloves, ginger, thyme, garlic, pepper and nutmeg. However, you can use jerk spice on anything including carrots. Many Jamaican restaurants also offer jerk beef, shrimp, vegetables and tofu. Jamaican jerk chicken continues to be the most popular choice.

Why is it awesome: Well, because it comes from the best..........the JAMAICANS :jawalrus:

Oxtail

jamaica%20oxtail-2000x2000.jpg

What is it: Oxtail has a rich, meaty flavour that adds a hearty taste to warming winter stews and soups. It has a fairly large amount of creamy far covering the rich, dark meat with almost an equal proportion of meat to bone.

Why is it awesome: he world has discovered how delicious it is and it can be more expensive that regular cuts.

Sоlоmоn Gundy

jamaica%20stamp%20and%20go%20saltfish%20fritters-2000x2000.jpg

What is it: Fish has been used and salted for centuries in Europe and Canada. When Europeans arrived in Jamaica they brought salted fish, which continues to be used in many traditional Jamaican foods. However, this dish isn’t just a straight import. As a traditional Jamaican food the creamy salted fish pate is served on crackers and infuses the local spices of the country.

Why is it awesome: You take a guess.

Pоnе AKA Jаmаiсаn Pudding

15802037_1592521910774629_6744768254536843264_n-1024x688.jpg

What is it: Made with grated cornmeal or sweet potato or cassava along with coconut milk and local spices, this is a very popular dessert. Technically sweet potato pone is a bit harder than Jamaican pudding and you won’t find any raisins.

Why is it awesome: It's a food locals an tourists BOTH enjoy.

Tоtо

orig_toto-coconut-cake-recipe-from-cook-like--20180222094126082050pmwka.jpg

What is it: Toto is a traditional Jamaican dessert that is served at most family gatherings. This coconut cake dates back to the days of slavery when hungry slaves only had coconut molasses and flour for a meal.

Why is it awesome: Guess

Last edited: