Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (It works)

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 10.5%

Votes: 10 26.3%

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Logo_NCAT_w158.png
844px-North_Carolina_A%26T_Aggies_logo.svg.png

Since the Coli is tech and STEM heavy it seems only right to start off the series highlighting North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University aka NC A&T, the tech gem amongst the HBCUs. What is also not widely known is that NC A&T is also the largest HBCU by enrollment with over 13,000 students. Long known as the most science & technology focused HBCU since its founding with an explicit focus on agricultural and mechanical technology. Over 20% of bachelors degrees are awarded in computer related fields or engineering. Like many prominent HBCUs its alumni are a who's who of Black history in the 20th and 21st century.

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)
City, State:
Greensboro, NC
Type: 4-year public university
Nickname: Aggies
Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 13,322 (11,596 undergraduate), 83% Black
Part-time student percentage: 11%
First Generation Student Percentage: 28%
Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 46%/10%
Out of State Percentage: 27%
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 19:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 57%
4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 29%/53%
Transfer out rate: 24%
Male/Female percentages: 39% / 61% (1.56: 1)
Tuition: In-state: $6.7k / Out of state: $20.2k
Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $27,000
Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $18,000
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $41,157
Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation: Mechanical Engineering ($72,152), Industrial Engineering ($71,300), Chemical Engineering ($68,594), Accounting ($56,806), Electrical Engineering ($56,343), Business Administration ($49,101)
Top Majors by Degree

Computer Science/IT, Engineering (Mechanical, Industrial, Civil, Electrical, etc.), Agriculture, Communications, Nursing

Endowment: $181M ($45M from MacKenzie Scott alone)
Alumni Engagement: 70% of recent endowment
Athletic Conference: Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Aggie the Bulldog
North-Carolina-AT-Aggies-Logo-500x281.png

Famous alumni:

Ronald McNair: Physicist and astronaut who died in the Challenger accident
476px-Ronald_mcnair.jpg

Jessie Jackson & Jessie Jackson Jr. - civil rights leaders and politicians
Jesse_Jackson_2013.jpg
Jesse_Jackson%2C_Jr.%2C_official_photo_portrait.jpg

Janice Bryant Howroyd - CEO/founder of the multi-billion dollar staffing firm ACT-1
janicebryantfinal.jpg

Joe Dudley Sr. - founder of the Dudley Products Black personal care empire
dudley...jpg

NC A&T student center
9299-new.jpg

New Engineering & Research Innovation Center
the-harold-l-martin-sr-engineering-research-and-innovation-complex750xx3824-2148-121-484.jpg

Microbial genetics lab

student-in-lab.jpg

Dorms

ncat-dorm-deese1920000.jpg

Truist Stadium

aggies_game_day_crowd_.jpg

3a0fb5_8c1047b96eeb466da773f7123fb27eef~mv2.jpg

Aggie_Cheer___31985__2021_A_T_FB_at_SCSU_KLD.jpg

H-Band-6-e1636564459538.jpeg

The-best-band-in-the-land-brings-energy-to-the-BB.jpg

Past Miss NCAT
IMG_6783-3.jpg
img_6590.jpg

Myja Gary, Aggie alumna and Miss Black USA 2021
c-MyjaGary__IMG9992_1645646837106.jpeg

Rules:

1. Thecoli will be rating most of the 101 Historically Black Colleges and Universities during the first half of 2023.

2. You can rate the HBCU on several factors including academics, the administration, school experience, athletics, post-grad success, and the "talent"

3. You do not have to be an alum/alumna or have attended the HBCU to vote

3. You can rate each HBCU anywhere on a scale of 1-10.

4. The results of the poll will be displayed publicly.

6. This is not a scientific poll, don't take a high or low rating of a HBCU as the full measure of the "worth" of the school, whether someone should attend, etc.

7. The polls will be open for 96 hours

8. Rep and dap as many people as you like and don’t forget to 5 star this thread.

@SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @Get These Giants @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination @ab.aspectus @Peachstate

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
What are we rating against? Other HBCU’s or other colleges in general?

Wouldn’t it depend on what you’re majoring in and other long term goals?

You posting photos of cheerleaders and other women like that supposed to mean something.

I would say rating amongst HBCUs in general. No sense in arguing if Howard or Spelhouse are as good as Harvard or Yale. They are good schools but with different benefits.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
You posting photos of cheerleaders and other women like that supposed to mean something.

I don't want/expect people to rate based on women but if you know HBCUs, 1) cheerleaders and bands are integral part of the culture, performances but most other schools (PWI) to shame and 2) it would be a damn lie to state the campus beauty isn't a benefit at HBCUs

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
No offense but how can you truly rate a college unless you attended? I'd say even stayed on campus to truly get the full experience

I mean if you are familiar with their performance, what grads are doing, and how good they are I think you could objectively rate them.

Honestly, it is easier to rate high if you have second hand info than to trash them which usually requires some intimate knowledge. No one has to vote though.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Good thread, I recommend adding graduating rate and GPA just to give a proper academic profile
Edit: I see grad rate there, good work OP

I thought about GPA but to be honest, some hard schools like NC A&T (engineering) probably have lower GPA than the average. I could do that or SAT score or whatever if people think it is useful.

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I gave them a 9.

Attended A&T from 2007 to 2013, and graduated with degrees in Mechanical & Industrial Engineering. The engineering program is probably one of the best things the school has to offer, and it’s recognized for its graduates at companies all over the US. I believe we produce more black engineers than any institution in the country. The new engineering building is a work of art. I remember having to take IE classes in the dungeon/bottom floor of McNair and the old/rundown Cherry Hall. We in the engineering department were pretty close, and our instructors often looked out for us.

The university might be the top research institution amongst HBCU’s, and they’re currently making moves to be recognized as one of the top research institutions amongst all universities.

Dorm life was cool. I remember when there wasn’t room to dorm all the new incoming students, A&T bought up some apartments nearby and was able to house everyone. I believe they’re building new dorms, and there are some relatively new dorms on campus. I stayed in Aggie Suites and Aggie Villages; new dorms that were top of the line.

The financial aid stories I heard from other HBCU grads, I didn’t experience them. The process was always pretty smooth to me. Now, I will say my parents said they experienced them back in the late 80’s, but it looks like they cleaned it up.

When it comes to safety, the school is in a rough area. You’ll hear of students getting robbed from time to time, and the rare death usually happens around GHOE. We’re a party school, so we attract others onto the campus. I used to walk from the campus to downtown and the outside apartments from time to time. I really had no issues.

Overall, I love my school and I consider myself a proud alum. Most of what I have is due to me attending A&T. Chancellor Martin has done a great job, and I can’t wait to see us grow more. Also, GHOE is the greatest homecoming on earth; not just the best homecoming amongst HBCUs lol.