Rate this HBCU Day 12: Harris-Stowe University

How would you rate Harris-Stowe University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (It works)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
HSSUSeal.png
HSSU-wordmark-2019-brown.png

Last time we covered Rust College in Holly Springs, Mississippi which garnered an average score of 7.5

Harris-Stowe is one of two HBCUs in Missouri and is a public, open enrollment school. Created by the merger of White and Black teacher training schools after Brown v. Board, the field of education has remained its focus and is a key area of investment with a new building (see below) that has won multiple architectural awards. A good number of the Black teachers in the greater St. Louis area and other parts of Missouri or Memphis are Harris-Stowe graduates. Many of its most well-known graduates are often from the St. Louis area so it seems most graduates are from the local area and stay local/ Because it is open enrollment, graduation rates are unfortunately low.

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)

Founded: Harris Teachers College (for whites) in 1857, Stowe Teachers College (for Blacks) 1890; merged after Brown v. Board of Education

City, State: St. Louis, MO

Type: 4-Year Public

Nickname: Hornets

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 1,210, 80% Black

Out of State Percentage: 63% (top states Tennessee, and Illinois, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma)

Part-time student percentage: 18%

First Generation Student Percentage: 47%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 71% / 3%

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 8:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: Open Admissions

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 6% / 19%

Transfer out rate: 29%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 29% male / 71% female (2.4:1)

Tuition: In-State $5.9k, Out-of-State: $10.5k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $28k
Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $11k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $32,053

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Criminal Justice: $33,056, Business Administration: $31,894, Education: $24,359

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Biology, Criminal Justice, Sociology, Education, Liberal Arts

Endowment: N/A

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: American Midwest (NAIA)

Mascot: Hornets

HSSU%20Hornet%20(L).png

Notable Alumni:

Cori Bush - Representative for Missouri's 1st congressional district
479px-Cori_Bush_117th_U.S_Congress.jpg

Kimberly Gardner -Prosecutor in St. Louis
kimberly-gardner-circuit-attorney-250px.jpg

Charles Shaw- former federal judge eastern district of Missouri
Sr-District-Judge-Charles-A-Shaw_0.JPG

Bobby Wilks - aviator and first Black captain in the US Coast Guard
402px-Bobby_C_Wilks_Lieutenant_USCG_large.jpg

HSSU.png

MO_StLouis_HarrisStoweUniversity_byBarrettDoherty_2022_021_Hero.jpg

Residence Hall
01_Harris-Stowe-exterior-2.jpg

William L. Clay Sr. Early Childhood Development/Parenting Education Center (outside & inside)

8062045704bf1a603ba951-1500x878.jpg

4699633424bf1a6746456c-1500x1000.jpg

BB9_0026.jpg

DSC_0103_2_.JPG

15083407160566.jpg

IMG_7347-2.jpg

Rules:

1. Thecoli will be rating most of the 101 Historically Black Colleges and Universities during the first half of 2023.

2. You can rate the HBCU on several factors including academics, the administration, school experience, athletics, post-grad success, and the "talent"

3. You do not have to be an alum/alumna or have attended the HBCU to vote

3. You can rate each HBCU anywhere on a scale of 1-10.

4. The results of the poll will be displayed publicly.

6. This is not a scientific poll, don't take a high or low rating of a HBCU as the full measure of the "worth" of the school, whether someone should attend, etc.

7. The polls will be open for 96 hours

8. Rep and dap as many people as you like and don’t forget to 5 star this thread.

@Buddy @Cat piss martini @WaveWhisperer in STL

@SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @Get These Giants @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination @ab.aspectus @Peachstate @Gloxina @HarlemHottie @Originalman

Last edited:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
@DrBanneker by all means, tag me in these threads but I'm not from St Louis. "I lived in ______ for __ years" is just a running joke of mine. You tagged for my experience in Holly Springs and I didn't know how to break it to you :mjcry: I'm sorry breh!! :sadcam:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Never heard of them, damn moms might have been like check them out, campus looks nice

Ms Gardner looks good :takedat:

I think the hbcu’s in the Midwest don’t advertise much like they should ( i understand the irony) but it’s a lot of kids that might come to get the Black experience but close to home

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
It's a 10 but I wish they had a bigger campus to expand. They're crammed in next to SLU but you can easily dual-enroll at both so there is some benefit to being neighbors.

Still, if I had it my way I'd merge with Flo-Valley and take over their campus and build out up that way.

I voted 10 either way.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Harris-Stowe State University Announces New College of STEM and Nationally Known Inaugural Dean​

2a3e6b08-b6d7-4758-9353-cf742e412269_1920x1080.jpg

Feb 21, 2023
Harris-Stowe State University (HSSU) announces its newest academic college - the College of STEM. Leading the College will be founding Dean, Dr. Harvey R. Fields, Jr. Dr. Fields most recently served as the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Washington University in St. Louis.

Over the course of the last decade, HSSU has been a critical factor in developing a talent pool of diverse and work-ready candidates for Missouri’s STEM workforce. Harris-Stowe has become a leader for broadening participation of underrepresented and under-resourced students in the industry for the city, state and beyond. HSSU’s leadership in this space, and the continuing demand in our region, made the need for this College apparent; it is directly aligned with the HSSU mission.

As Dean of the College of STEM, Dr. Fields will oversee the College’s creation and implementation. He will be responsible for ensuring the integrity and quality of each of its respective academic departments and existing programs, as well as developing new programs. STEM is currently the fastest growing degree field at the University. In the last several years, HSSU has received -over $6M in funding for STEM-related programs and activities.

HSSU president, Dr. LaTonia Collins Smith said, “We are excited to welcome Dr. Fields as the inaugural Dean of the College of STEM. His experience, knowledge and passion are extraordinary and will serve as a strong foundation for the development of this new College and will serve our students exceedingly well. He is a visionary who has demonstrated his ability to positively impact scholars. His unwavering dedication to helping under-resourced students achieve success syncs perfectly with HSSU’s core values.”

Dr.%20Harvey%20Fields.jpg

Dr. Fields earned his Doctorate in Chemistry at Washington University in St. Louis. Since earning his doctorate, Dr. Fields has dedicated his career to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice focusing on maximizing student academic success, particularly in STEM areas. He also has industry experience progressing in engineering and manufacturing leadership roles in various regions. Dr. Fields is active in the St. Louis community, currently serving on the Missouri Baptist Medical Center Board of Trustees, and chair of the St. Louis Chapter of the Morehouse College Alumni Association. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from Morehouse College.
Dr. Fields noted, “Harris-Stowe has an exemplary track record of generating positive impact, strong outcomes and enhanced possibilities for underrepresented and under-resourced students. Furthermore, HSSU contributes to the improving status, standing and attractiveness of the Greater St. Louis region as a preferred location for individuals, families and businesses. I fully identify with and embrace the Harris-Stowe mission. I am proud to join president LaTonia Collins Smith’s stellar leadership team, as the founding Dean of the College of STEM.”