Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Paul_Quinn_College.jpg
images

We last covered the largest HBCU up north, Delaware State University, which had an average score of 7.3.

See the updated leaderboard here

Following on the discussion of visionary leadership we had with Claflin University, we now turn to another example of a small HBCU that has reversed its fortunes for the better through strong leadership and alumni support. Paul Quinn College is a small HBCU in Dallas, Texas with not even 500 students. However, it has significantly raised its profile, improved its campus, and garnered support and donations due to the leadership of president Michael Sorrell. Its saga of improvement has been covered several times in the Coli, especially by @get these nets (see subsequent links). Similar to Claflin's Honor College, Paul Quinn instituted a dress code of business casual for students except after class hours and going to the gym. It has also improved the campus with security (gated), a new basketball gym and other new athletic and student facilities in the new Trammell S. Crow Living and Learning Center.

Paul Quinn is also unique in its work/study program where it requires students to work 10 to 20 hours per week. These aren't random jobs: the students can select from 35 on-campus work assignments (including a campus farm) or from 40+ corporate partners. The receive cash stipends and a deduction on tuition to keep their debt and expenses low. The biggest difference with Claflin is the admissions rate is still pretty high and the graduation rate still low but Paul Quinn has a stated mission of serving many who are the first to attend college from their families. Paul Quinn has also heavily focused on business as a major which bodes well for the employment eligibility of its students. Hopefully Paul Quinn will continue to improve with time and be known as one of the top small liberal arts HBCUs.

Paul Quinn is also the oldest HBCU west of the Mississippi established in 1872 (originally in Waco, TX) by the AME Church which still plays an active role.

201608_interview_sorrel_michels-713x475.jpg

The New Urban College Model: A Case Study of Paul Quinn College and Shifting Assessment Standards

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)

Founded:1872

City, State: Dallas, TX

Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit (AME affiliated)

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 384, 77% Black

Out of State Percentage: 20%

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 23:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 87%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 11% / 23%

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 43% male / 57% female (1.3:1)

Tuition: $10.7k

Median Debt After Graduation: N/A
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $35,651

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
N/A

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business & Entrepreneurship, Legal Studies, Health Studies, Liberal Arts

Endowment: $2M

Alumni Engagement: 6% contribute

Athletic Conference: Red River Athletic Conference (NAIA)

Mascot: Tigers
PQCtiger_yellow.gif

Notable Alumni:

Oscar Leonard Thompson
- first Black to graduate from the University of Texas (went to Paul Quinn decades before)
Oscar_Thompson-e1549402458728.jpeg

Andy Cooper - Negro leagues pitcher inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006
56aa759522a919bab0f0e654e1eed8f2.jpg

Christopher Saunders - sports broadcaster for ZNS-TV in the Bahamas
Christopher-Saunders-scaled.jpg

Toni Rose - member of the Texas House of Representatives
Toni_Rose.jpg

Main Campus
PQC+Campus+Chapel+Photo+%232.JPG

G3GEKEET4ZEXNP3HXVJR3QXOFM.jpg

Paul-Quinn-College-Basketball.jpg

AMXF5C7DUJCC5BCNTD52TGAVFQ.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Cruz-King.png

slide4.jpg

@shopthatwrecks @DallasTxRep @Dallas' 4 Eva @IsThatBrothaMouzone? @Willie Lump Lump @dtownreppin214 @colicolicoli @*DalMem* @satam55 @March Madness

@SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination @ab.aspectus @Peachstate @Gloxina @HarlemHottie @Originalman

Last edited:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Paul Quinn is doing a lot of good things under Dr. Sorrell. I think they're a work college now, eliminating or drastically reducing student debt -- there's only a handful of those in the country :wow:

My only knock is they've become a lot less like an HBCU under him... a lot more hispanics, etc are enrolling

AggiePride336.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I like that work study program. Good that they’re trying to get you some work experience, while also helping out with debt that’s incurred while in school. I’d do that farm job.

Not many students, and yea, the graduation rate is concerning. The 20% out of state students come from places like Oklahoma, Cali, and/or Louisiana I’d guess.

Nice basketball court.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I heard The Dean is turning things around. I have family that's been living in Highland Hills since the early 70s.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Enrollment had fallen below 600, and in Sorrell's first week on campus, it was about to fall further. There'd been a fight at school, and 11 students were suspended. They came before Sorrell, in this very office, to make their cases for staying. It was a chance to keep enrollment steady while he righted the ship.

"Listen," he recalls telling them. "Let me apologize to you. If you have been led to believe that you are what a college junior should look like, you have been deceived."

The boys showed up late to the meetings, Sorrell says. Most were wearing wrinkled clothes, like they'd just gotten out of bed. Some didn't bother to shower or comb their hair. The appeals documents themselves were horrific, full of bad grammar and misspelled words.

"And while I didn't know you, you were at my institution and I accept responsibility for that. But you are not what this institution is going to produce."

He kicked them all out.

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I wonder if they teach agriculture/horticulture up there. If they do, I'll go up there instead of going to El Centro.

I don't think so. You would probably need to go to an A&M for that. I would check out FAMU, NC A&T, and Alabama A&M if you want to do a HBCU for agriculture. FAMU has a viticulture program and more I think.